Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Disassembling a ST G90

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Disassembling a ST G90

Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
garyr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembling a ST G90

Hey you engine overhaulers:
I need a suggestion on how to loosen the sleeve in a couple of old G90 Super Tigres.
They are pretty gummed up and some rust is evident on one...I'm soaking in Varsol, cooking in Glycol antifreeze, etc....but I'm expecting trouble getting the sleeve out.
Any good tips?

Many thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Disassembling a ST G90

Well...if you are still cooking it in anti-freeze...I would use a piece of hard wood dowel or the handle of an old tooth brush, and go in through the backplate to try and push the sleeve up. (while it's still warm ) The anti-freeze will also act as a light lubricant.

You might need more heat though...

I've run into some stubborn instances where I had to use either a heat gun or propane torch to get the case hot enough. Try not to get it too hot...when you see wisps of smoke from residual oil, that's about as hot as you want to get it.

Hopefully, that rust won't grind in (in between the sleeve and case ) and cause the sleeve to bind-up in the case. If there's any way to clean at least some of it off, I would do that first. (with Q tips, and/or maybe whittle down a popcicle stick to try and burnish some of it off )

Carbon around the exhaust port (if any ) should be cleaned off too.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
garyr1

Thanks for the tip. Hardwood makes sense...metal could damage and score things. I'll see what happens.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It may not be strictly kosher, but I have put a piece of ply in the exhaust port and used the piston to put a little pressure on it while I heated it up in a vice. I have also turned it with Channel locks to break it loose. Do both of these at your own risk. It can bite you.

david
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM
garyr1

Good feedback guys!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have used all the tips and a butane torch to boot, and have finally WON the battle.
Turns out you do have to get a touch rough with these units to 'wrench' them apart.
In fairness to ST, these ones are 10-ish years old and pretty thoroughly seized.
Rust and gum both...in spite of gobs of after run oil!
I'm looking forward to new bearings, seals, rings, and a couple of good running 90's, I hope!

It's all fun!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Hey...congrats [8D]
Glad you were successful...