Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

commercial hobby shop display stands

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

commercial hobby shop display stands

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default commercial hobby shop display stands

Does anyone happen to know where or how you can go about buying display stands for hobby items like in a hobby shop. I am talking about those type of stands that hold rolls of covering and balsa wood and other misc items like that. I got a lot of rc related products that I would like to store in a little better way. I already bought 1 spinner rack from a hobby shop that went out of business several years ago which has worked out great.
David
Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: commercial hobby shop display stands

A spinner rack!
So many spinners... you need a rack?
Do you hoard?
[X(]

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

A spinner rack!
Do you hoard?
[X(]

It's not hoarding when it is done for MODEL AIRPLANES. It's hoarding when it's shoes or dresses.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

Does anyone happen to know where or how you can go about buying display stands for hobby items like in a hobby shop. I am talking about those type of stands that hold rolls of covering and balsa wood and other misc items like that. I got a lot of rc related products that I would like to store in a little better way. I already bought 1 spinner rack from a hobby shop that went out of business several years ago which has worked out great.
David
Punch board wall or a name like that works great. I don't remember the exact name of the stuff, but it's a great way to sell stuff (you see it in LHSs all over the world) and to store it. You can buy it and the hardware that goes with it at most home improvement stores and at some hardware stores. Guys put it on the wall in their shops all the time to hang tools. Get some longer hangers and you can hang lot's more than just one hammer at a time.

The way to make it a storage device is to buy bundles of zip lock plastic bags. If you punch a hole in the top of the bag, it'll go on the hangar quite happily. Punch the hole just under the "zipper" and the bag can support fairly heavy things.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

A spinner rack!
Do you hoard?
[X(]

It's not hoarding when it is done for MODEL AIRPLANES. It's hoarding when it's shoes or dresses.
Good one
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
da Rock

BTW, the board doesn't have to be put as a wall to work for you.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
davidgeorge212

Actually, when we built our workshop a year ago, My dad and I put peg board up floor to ceiling on every wall of the shop. I bought a pack of about 400 hooks to hang stuff up. Not only rc stuff but other odds and ends and hand tools and things for other machines throughout the shop. I am mainly looking for a rack that holds rolls of monokote because I just have them stored in a bucket and on the floor and I was thinking it would be neat if I could store them like a hobby shop on one of those racks. And yes our workshop does look like a hobby shop because all of our rc parts are hung on hooks on peg board. On the spinner rack I got packages that hold all kinds types and sizes of bolts, nuts, lock nuts, washers etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Check behind strip malls - Staples or other stores like that often toss older displays and you can see them behind the buildings. They usually have recycling bins back there so that's where I go for cardboard boxes, and I usually see some kind of wire display back there.

Just an idea...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
davidgeorge212

I just found out recently that another hobbyshop about an hour and a half away from me is going out of business and they will be selling some of stands. Right now they have them listed for $150 for the big monokote rack and $25 for a small floor rack that holds monokote.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a clue, I have my covering stuck in old model boxes and have to dig through them to find what I'm looking for. I bet if you asked the manager at your local hobby shop they would tell you where they got there racks from. I'm just guessing but I bet when they ordered there original pack of covering the rack was included? Maybe if you called tower they could tell you. My LHS has the one rack for there Mono then 4 boxes on the floor below that full of covering you have to go through when looking for your color of choice.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I b

I just found out recently that another hobbyshop about an hour and a half away from me is going out of business and they will be selling some of stands. Right now they have them listed for $150 for the big monokote rack and $25 for a small floor rack that holds monokote.
I bought three MonoKote racks from my LHS when they downsized. They stack, so my rack is about 7.5' tall and holds about 180 rolls. I bought the three racks (they are ~$125 new) and 60 rolls of MonoKote (my choice from the inventory) for $240.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
BillyGoat

If you have an IKEA store near by, try them. Visited a buddy in AZ recently and was impressed with the storage units he bought from IKEA for his shop.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

David
I know this thread is over a year old but I have an answer to your question: Go to your local hobby shop and tell them you are interested in a display rack from Top Flite for their Monokote. It will cost you $187.50 & will hold 72 rolls of Monokote. The item number is TOPTOPZ0200. Tell you local hobby shop to order it from Great Planes. Also ask them about other displays that are available to retailers. There are displays for everything from wood to metal to paints to foam.

Saul