Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How Do You Sharpen Razor Blades & X-Acto Blades?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How Do You Sharpen Razor Blades & X-Acto Blades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Do You Sharpen Razor Blades & X-Acto Blades?

I'm thinking that I 'm not alone in wanting to know "How the heck do you (re)sharpen razor blades and X-acto blades?

During a covering thread a couple of generous contributors shared how they could build-n-cover a plane using 2 razor blades. Ya hear that Gray Beard? I'm calling you out. Here is a quote from one of GB's posts:

"A trick, I covered and built the Dirty Birdy plus a small electric and only used two blades. I do all my cutting on a pine building board that sucks the life out of sharp. Before I even begin I take the blades, I use two knifes, and stone them then take them onto my home made strop. As soon as I detect dull I hit the strop about 10 slides per side. This leaves the blades sharper then when they come out of the package. I'm doing another build right now and still using the same two blades and they are still sharper then when they were new. When covering, a sharp blade is a big plus and gives you a nice clean edge on your covering.

I do the same thing to the blade in my stripe cutter, I think that's why I can get such small stripes.

I used these same two blades to cut the DB logos on the fin.

I buy my blades in boxes of 100 but don't use many after I was shown how well the strop works."

What Ineed (want) is a list of tools and a step-by-step explanation of how to do it. Please, please, please ....

Thanks in advance from all of us who go thru razor blades waaaayyyyyy too quickly!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Do You Sharpen Razor Blades & X-Acto Blades?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=une4Zp75gWU
Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding a good stone was the biggest problem for me.

Making a "strop" was next, but quite easy since I do leather work. If you don't do leather work, finding leather isn't hard either. You got an old belt? If you want to start cleaner, go buy a new one. Or look in the phone book for leather or craft supplies.

To make your strop work, swing by a hardware or home improvement and get some dressing sold for polishing wheels and such. I got a stick of it for cheap that charges my strops. They were made by gluing the leather to scrap blocks of wood. They look like my home made sanding blocks except there is leather instead of sandpaper glued to one side. Glue the leather's smooth side to the block. The fuzzy side of the leather takes the compound well.

I haven't bought an Xacto in years and years and years. OK, I bought a different size awhile back.

When the strop gets "black", scrub it with paper towel a bit and just rub some new compound in.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Intruder38

If all you want to do is restore the edge to a reasonably good blade there is a trick I learned I don't want to tell you how long ago. Place the blade inside a large water glass or tumbler. With your finger, hold the blade flat against the side of the glass and slide it back and forth a few times. It restores the edge, much like using a strop I imagine. In my experience, this works only to fine tune the edge, not restore a really dull blade.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also for certain types of builds i.e. with lots of blade cuts on a flat surface consider using a small tempered glass window pane as a cutting board.

John
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Intruder38. Somewhere is the dim distant past, I had read that was the technique used in prisons, for the prisoners to sharpen their blades.

Les
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also make some pretty useful blades from old hacksaw blades. Just break them off to roughly the desired shape then rough form the edges on a grinding wheel. Use any good hardwood to fashion a handle (I epoxy the blade tang between two pieces of walnut or even spruce) then stone the edges to a good finish and then go to the strop. For odd shaped cutting shapes, this works well as you can make the tip about any shape you want. They turn out as sharp as any other type blade, better than many, as the quality of the steel is quite good. Also, a properly stoned and stopped Xacto blade is much better than when new, it takes very little effort to really improve the original edge.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I'm thinking that I 'm not alone in wanting to know ''How the heck do you (re)sharpen razor blades and X-acto blades?

During a covering thread a couple of generous contributors shared how they could build-n-cover a plane using 2 razor blades. Ya hear that Gray Beard? I'm calling you out. Here is a quote from one of GB's posts:

''A trick, I covered and built the Dirty Birdy plus a small electric and only used two blades. I do all my cutting on a pine building board that sucks the life out of sharp. Before I even begin I take the blades, I use two knifes, and stone them then take them onto my home made strop. As soon as I detect dull I hit the strop about 10 slides per side. This leaves the blades sharper then when they come out of the package. I'm doing another build right now and still using the same two blades and they are still sharper then when they were new. When covering, a sharp blade is a big plus and gives you a nice clean edge on your covering.

I do the same thing to the blade in my stripe cutter, I think that's why I can get such small stripes.

I used these same two blades to cut the DB logos on the fin.

I buy my blades in boxes of 100 but don't use many after I was shown how well the strop works.''

What I need (want) is a list of tools and a step-by-step explanation of how to do it. Please, please, please ....

Thanks in advance from all of us who go thru razor blades waaaayyyyyy too quickly!

Here are some questions I have. How much does Exacto blades cost? How long does it take to sharpen exacto blades? How much is your time worth per hour in building/covering?

Now I am thinking if blades are cheaper than the time it takes you to sharpen then wouldn't it be more beneficial to just buy them bulk and use your time building or whatever? I have sharpened Exacto blades and for me I have found my time more valuable (mainly because I don't have much time). Anyway, just some thoughts about it.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
SeamusG

Ihave two stones. One is 8+inches and the other is 4". The long stone has #1000 and #250 noted - guessing that this is the grit. The small stone has fine and course.

Does it matter which Iuse?Which is preferred?

Do I need to mount them? Seems that most of the pics have some kind of pedestal mount.

How about procedure for sharpening a razor blade? 10 strokes on each side, then 9, then 8 until 1. Then use a strop?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89551.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1529707  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Here are some questions I have. How much does Exacto blades cost? How long does it take to sharpen exacto blades? How much is your time worth per hour in building/covering?

Now I am thinking if blades are cheaper than the time it takes you to sharpen then wouldn't it be more beneficial to just buy them bulk and use your time building or whatever? I have sharpened Exacto blades and for me I have found my time more valuable (mainly because I don't have much time). Anyway, just some thoughts about it.
The goal here is to explain how to sharpen a razor blade or x-acto blade. It's up to the individual to determine if it's worth their time. Why is anybody even building a kit if their time is SO valuable?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'm not getting paid nowadays, being retired, I look at the value of my time in exactly the opposite way you do. I'm sure there are many modelers who see it from the same perspective. Truth is, there are probably many modelers who work full time who also look at the balance sheet the same way.

Not spending balances the budget quicker than most methods.

But looking at sharpening blades from an entirely different angle, it actually saves me time and money. I haven't taken the time to put a new blade in my 3 Xacto handles in over a year. It takes me less time to rub a dull one on the stone and then the strop block than it does to swap blades. In modeling, we've got to develop techniques for almost everything. I've got sharpening blades figured out. An excellent stone sits under one corner of the workbench right beside the strop block. I don't even have to get up and go over to the storage cabinets. If you do it right a couple of passes on the stone and strop take..... never thought about it before..... but I'm guessing 15-20 seconds..... Heck, driving to the hobby shop to buy blades takes way more than 20 seconds for every sharpening ever done.

I guess you could say, "different strokes for different folks."
Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some of the knives I've made from hacksaw blades.

Name:	Ig13124.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1529804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46902.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	1529805  
Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Luchnia

da rock, it seems like you have it to a science! I like that [8D]
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The servers are messing with our photos but I will try to show you how to do it. I took five photos, keep in mind I'm right handed and my camera button is on the right so the photos are showing you how with my left hand, I have a medium Smith stone, it's OK but I would like to find my good stone that has the fine stone on one side. The blade angle is already set for you, hold that angle and draw the blade across the stone like you are trying to cut a thin piece off of it, the sharp side of the blade doing the cutting. I run the blade about 10 times or so down the stone first on one side then on the other side. Then I use the strop {spelling} my strop is just a piece of leather glued to a flat block of wood with jewelers rough rubbed onto it. The blade is drawn backwards along the strop, 10 or 12 times per side. Should be sharper then new now. As the blade gets dull I use the strop and almost never use the stone again unless the blade no longer gets sharp enough with just stropping. I'm on my third build with the two blades I have been using. This build I don't have to cover but the same two blades have already built two 60 size planes and one electric built up kit, I don't count this little plane as a real build.
Now to try to add the photos for you!! Love the upgrade the servers have made!!

Name:	Ig13279.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1529859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78863.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	1529860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62953.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	1529861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73190.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	1529862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44803.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	1529863  
Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Gray Beard

Well, I see one normal photo and one giant photo, this is out of a total of five. Well done Mr. Server!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
SeamusG

Hey GB - all 5 are there - gotta use the L & R scroll arrows to see 'em. Are you pushing the edge or pulling the backside across the stone? Ditto for the strop?

Ya know, the gods have a strange way of say that it's time to build another plane.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Gray Beard

On the stone I'm trying to cut a slice out of it, guess that would be pushing. On the strop I guess I'm pulling or dragging the blade edge backwards. If you go the wrong way on the strop you will know when it's wrong right away, you will cut into the leather. The rouge is the secret and you can get it at any hardware store.
I have a Cub on the bench right now for a friend so I have some time to figure out my next build. I will be ordering the plans pretty soon, it takes them a while to print and send them. Right now it's between the Sukhoi or the Ryan???Ther question remains, do I want to build another Sukhoi?? It was my all time favorite plane but you know how it is, I already built one. I have never had a Ryan. It too looks like a fun build.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC80&P=ML

This is how much they cost and my dealer comes in with a better price always and although there was a time in my modeling history which has been since I was a youngster I did sharpen blades and that is great for those who wish to do so. Now fast forward to the twilight years and I never let up in all those years my priorities have changed for my building I only want to build and of course fly but I now have choosen to avoid anything that took time away from building or flying so now only buy in 100 count boxs and do not sharpen and never let myself run out.

This part of the discussion is of course tantamount to the original question as well.

Oh, Rodney your hand hewn knives are simply lovely. Hand made tools are wonderful and I have a couple of specials as well.

John
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Villa

I use what I believe is called wet or dry sandpaper. It is a very fine sandpaper. It is used for sanding automotive paint prior to painting a car. It is available at automotive supply stores. I believe it is marked with something like 360 or 400 grit. I place the paper on a flat surface like the edge of my work table, and I sharpen the X-acto blade. I have been using the same blade for maybe 10 years.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

In a weak moment I bought one of those blue plastic 'flat plate' sharpeners at the Toledo show. Got it home and found it works pretty well!

Some explanation is in order. When using the stone, you're raising a microscopic burr on the blade. The strop takes it off and smooths the tiny rough edges.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC80&P=ML

This is how much they cost and my dealer comes in with a better price always and although there was a time in my modeling history which has been since I was a youngster I did sharpen blades and that is great for those who wish to do so. Now fast forward to the twilight years and I never let up in all those years my priorities have changed for my building I only want to build and of course fly but I now have choosen to avoid anything that took time away from building or flying so now only buy in 100 count boxs and do not sharpen and never let myself run out.

This part of the discussion is of course tantamount to the original question as well.

Oh, Rodney your hand hewn knives are simply lovely. Hand made tools are wonderful and I have a couple of specials as well.

John
Don, I too buy the blades in the one hundred box. My problem with them is they are dull compared to what I am able to do to them in a few seconds. It takes me less time to strop one then to change one. The stone almost never gets used once I have sharpened a blade, a few strokes and the blade I have been using is much sharper then one out of the box. During the build or frame up this isn't so important but when I'm covering I want my blades sharp. I don't bother sharpening a razor blade but wouldn't it be nice if a single edge blade would come out of the package as sharp as the good old double edge blades were.
Time?? I waste more time sparking up a smoke and opening a beverage. Sometime I even have down time waiting for epoxy to cure.
If someone wants a real nice stone then go to Lowe's and go into the tile section, those 4X4 take home samples they give you because you are thinking of tiling your kitchen, well, some of those are better stones then you can find in a sporting goods store. Everyone knows how much I like free.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE! WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!! Just make a small balsa stick pyramid and put the blades under it. They will sharpen automatically! And then you can make them Xtra Sharp by getting one of those new gadgets they sell on tv for your razors. Just plug it in, place your blade in it, then it changes the molecular structure of the metal and sharpens the blade! Yup, you 2 can sit around and die in your chair while waiting for that to happen! Oh, both these methods remove any nicks in the blade and automatically sets the grind angle so they get sooooooooo sharp! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: teebox11

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE! WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!! Just make a small balsa stick pyramid and put the blades under it. They will sharpen automatically! And then you can make them Xtra Sharp by getting one of those new gadgets they sell on tv for your razors. Just plug it in, place your blade in it, then it changes the molecular structure of the metal and sharpens the blade! Yup, you 2 can sit around and die in your chair while waiting for that to happen! Oh, both these methods remove any nicks in the blade and automatically sets the grind angle so they get sooooooooo sharp! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
HAHAHHAHAAAAA.....yeah, totally awesome! Oh, would one of those bracelet things make my coffee for me and maybe even poor it down my throat? [X(]
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: teebox11

HAHAHHAHAAAAA.....yeah, totally awesome! Oh, would one of those bracelet things make my coffee for me and maybe even poor it down my throat? [X(]
My problem is the sleeves on my Snuggy get in the way while I'm trying to strop those #11 blades
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Grey Beard. I don't know, but that hand looks almost wrinkled enough to be mine:-)))))))) And if I (or my wife ) were to allow my beard to grow, I am sure that it also would be grey.

Les

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.