Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ultracote covering

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ultracote covering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM
strml
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultracote covering

has anyone ever used the pearl colors of ultracote and is this pearl ultracote covering see thru thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: ultracote covering

Use the pearls as trim over opaque base colors. If used as a base, you can see wood grain through the pearls. I did an airplane in regular yellow and saw grail as well, very dissapointing.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the yellow and red. It's a pigmented covering and not see through. I thought it would be more on the metallic side but it isn't. I was sort of let down by it and haven't used it sense. It just didn't look all that different from there normal colors unless you got right up on it and looked close. I think there may be a photo of the Aeromaster I used it on in my photo gallery?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did a plane in it. I used purple and white Ultracote pearl along with some regular dark yellow. The white is really more like a light gray compared to regular white, but I think the project turned out well. The pearl finish does show imperfections in both your prep and your covering job more, just like pearl or metallic paints on cars do.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
carrellh

I used purple pearl on my Uproar. It was not see through at all. I think the purple looks more metallic than pearl. I will not pay the premium price again, I will just use regular colors.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I used purple pearl on my Uproar. It was not see through at all. I think the purple looks more metallic than pearl. I will not pay the premium price again, I will just use regular colors.
That's how I felt about it but over time in the sun even the little flakes sort of go away. I did find a paint match for the cowl for the red that was pretty good. I used an air brush then a fuel proof gloss to cover it.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 AM
strml
My Feedback: (2)

that is pearl white on the bipe jester it it does not look bad and from the pic cant see any wood grain nice job and thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks. The wood does not show though at all, and I had some white filler too that you can't see through it either.