Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

heating iron issues

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

heating iron issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heating iron issues

has anyone's heating iron just quit working all the sudden? like decide it's done sealing for the day or for good? it's a hobbico custom sealing iron and it quit just as i was finishing up my rudder. it seemed like it wasn't working the glue good on my moneykote, so i put it up to my lips and the damn thing was cooling off. what a piece of crap. does anyone know what to set the clothes iron to for about the right temperature without melting the moneykote? (she's gonna kick my *$$) i still got 2 ailerons, 2 wings, and a fuse to cover. do these things eventually go bad? i've had it for a few years.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: heating iron issues

Crash,

If it were me; I would go buy another sealing iron. Should be able to get one for $20 or less at your hobby shop. I would hate to mess up a $15 roll of covering trying to do it with an iron. Just my two cents though.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
crash bandicoute

i know. but it's such a drive and i got everything out and going. man that's irritating. i'm thinking of exchanging my red covering to insignia blue anyways. guess that's as good a time as any. it's like running out of gas a block away from a gas station. do the thermostats go bad in them or something?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not going to tell you what my Mama had to say to me when she caught me using her good iron to put on my covering. This was back when mono just came out.
Yes, irons just go out. In my case it shorted out while I was doing something else at the moment and it was sitting on my building board. It over heated, warped the iron and started my bench to smoking!!
I was lucky, I had an extra iron on hand. You can open it up to see if something came loose but for the price I would just get another one.I have used irons that were well over 20 years old, mine was 12 or 15 years old when it decided to try to kill me.
If you don't feel like driving buy one mail order with express shipping.
Mamas iron can get you in a bunch of trouble!!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Augie11

Yes, they just die. I keep an extra one in the 'new spare tool inventory'. My first lasted 2 years.......the second 18 years and still perfect. Not a great idea using the wife's iron.........trust me : )
Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
crash bandicoute

yep... hobby shop's got one so i'll be picking it up today. hopefully i get better luck than 2 years. should be a lemon law on them.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 AM
davidgeorge212

Ya I had a top flite iron that cut out on me but I took it apart to see why and it turned out to only be a dirty contact point on the potentiometer dial. I cleaned the contacts on it and screwed it all back together but I must have accidentally tweaked something because it kind of threw off my normal temperature settings. The heat I was use to getting when I set the dial to medium is not as hot any more. I now half to set it a little hotter to get the same temperature. It still works ok but I did end up going out and getting a new covering iron any way.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I used to use a travel iron with the setting on cotton; he worked very well and I wish I'd have kept him.