Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

COOL POWER OR OMEGA

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

COOL POWER OR OMEGA

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: COOL POWER OR OMEGA

ORIGINAL: TimBle

that's not your words, tut tut.Castor's wonderful polymerisation at temp also creates deposits or varnish in an engine. Those deposits affect the engines running through hot spots. Also rolling bearings were not designed to work with oils that become physically more viscous as heat is added. At a point the rollers no longer roll, they slide, increasing wear. Fine in a busted engine where castor is fine. Most modern engines want to be clean and use rolling bearings. Castor is archaic for these engines.Not please respond with your own thoughts not the very correct observations of a fellow petroleum engineer.
what high performance 2 strokes use roller bearings, that we use in our smallish nitro burning airplanes?..................again, you have not provided any reason for us not to use castor....only what you think based on smokers......LOL

sure those were my exact words.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roller ball bearings are called roller bearings too...

If you refering to cylindrical roller bearings then you are correct no on uses those. Most high performance 2 stroke or 4 stroke glow engines use a roller bearing on both ends of the crank shaft, you know the type with the rolling balls in them.

If you choose to use castor oil, hey man knock yourself for a 6. The facts are that castor is poorly suited to modern glow engines just like smoking is poorly suited to your lungs.

Use it don't use it.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 AM
summerwind

Timble,

you do know that even Dub Jett solidly advises the use of castor in the fuel to run all of his high performance engines right?
i do agree that using 100% castor as the lubricant is foul in modern engines, and only use syn/cas blends with the exception of 4 strokes.
there are engines however that are design to be used with nothing but castor as the prime lubricant........thankfully those engine makers designed the latter for use with syn/cas blends.
but nevertheless, some of the older engines are very much alive and will die a quick death without castor.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omega fuels castor synthetic mix, is fine for all moden Engines.

I Mix my own fuel most of the time, I use Castrol M (castor), and Kolts oils, I am not intested in saving $$$ on fuel
I would rather have a good life span out of my engines.

Any engine with a bush bearing on the crank eg. OS FP ect I use 100% castor 20% in fuel, any Engine made before 1990 I also use 100% castor.

Saito Engines I use 5% castor and 15% Koltz, Moden engines newer than 1990 are happy to run on both mixes, If I am storing a Engine I run a tank of 100% castor first + after run oil.

....Off Topic

Buying a used Swap meet engine........If it is brown and locked up with castor ....BUY IT

Black and/or smells of Synthetic [&o] ......Leave it alone

The brown castor engine will clean up like new

The Synth Engine will need Bearings ect and cost you $$$$$$[&o]

So what have I learnt about castor .....It is good in many ways...can get you a bargin at a swap meet LOL

Johnkpap

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
beberly540
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW i cant believe my got so many responses....
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Timble,

you do know that even Dub Jett solidly advises the use of castor in the fuel to run all of his high performance engines right?
i do agree that using 100% castor as the lubricant is foul in modern engines, and only use syn/cas blends with the exception of 4 strokes.
there are engines however that are design to be used with nothing but castor as the prime lubricant........thankfully those engine makers designed the latter for use with syn/cas blends.
but nevertheless, some of the older engines are very much alive and will die a quick death without castor.
I'm glad we're returning to some form of civility. Sure some manufacturers still advocate castor because its freely available and understood and also modellers just don't want to move on from the stuff (market force). We are creatures of habit and thosehabits die hard. Any engine thats well run and reaching the point of tired can benefit from a bit of castor due to some advantageous varnish buildupbut any high performance running and the castor becomes a problem due to its polymerising nature.

Dub Jett's engines are considered to be extreme high performance and are highly stressed, thus intended to be rebuilt fairly regularly so running castor will have no long term drawbacks.
Four strokes, I'd run as little castor in those as I can, In my OS 70Surpass II I run Coolpower exclusively. Having switched my 2 strokes to CoolPower as well, I have noticed the increased rpm, on average around 700rpm on OS46AX, OS55AX, Irvine 53Mk I and 2xGMS 47 II

Either way (castoror Syn) a lean run creates problems so avoiding it is advised in all circumstances. With castor you may protect the piston and liner but damage the bearings.
We should never consider castor as a safety net. Knowing the engine intimately (sound, throttle response) tells us when a problem is occuring. SHut it down and deadstick in if you can or land under powerimmediately. The worst thing we can do is cut too idle.

Theres some Q&A on Andrew@controlchat's blog. I've expressed some views on the matter there. I am not anti castor, I just believe that in a modern engine it has limited use. Old engines or engines with cast steel pistons or liners will benefit most from castor but lets face it, how many modern engines use this tech?

<edited to correct some spelling>
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
summerwind

OK so we do think the same
i was just put off a bit by the smokers analogy............
Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 AM
TimBle

I simply used that analogy to illustrate the force of habit that we have around the use of castor. Without  being derogatory to smokers, they are amongst the most habit driven folk around.
Time of smoking,
brand of cigarette or cigar
We RC'er probably spend more time trying to find our brand of fuel than we do considering which gasoline goes into our cars.