Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping

I checked prices last Friday concerning shipping a small RC airplane. The price quotes I got were astronomical. They ranged from $140.00 to $400.00 to ship the thing. It weighs under four pounds, 50 inch span and 40 inch fuselage. Did I talk to some real dummies or does it actually cost that kind of money to ship these small planes. If so, it totally eliminates shipping anything worth less than $1000.00 or so.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Shipping

Edit: misread the question.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I make up my own boxes and do my own packing then ship. If you go to places like UPS and have them do it then you are going to pay through the nose. The box size also counts, if it's over size then I will box it up and ship by Grayhound double boxed and packed. One of the problems with even ordering giant scale ARFs is the over size shipping you are charged for. Sometimes that great deal goes out the window when the shipping is factored in.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gene, if you boxed it yourself and shipped Grayhound, what would be the approximate cost of shipping the size I mentioned from Arkansas to Michigan? Just a ball park, if you can.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Yes, shipping is expensive.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

if you boxed it yourself and shipped Grayhound, what would be the approximate cost of shipping the size I mentioned from Arkansas to Michigan? Just a ball park, if you can.

You would be better served to ask that question at Grayhound. They do seem to be less expensive across the board, especially oversized items. Two years ago I shipped an unairworthy 78 inch aluminum propellor that weighted 25 pounds from AZ to somewhere on the east coast via Grayhound and didn't even box it up. The cost was far less than any of the other options at the time.

John
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

USPS can be good for the smaller planes. I shipped a .15 size Mustang last year for $16 via Parcel Post. I packed it as compactly as I could and used the minimum padding that I thought would get it there.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a complete 2-meter Pattern plane shipped from Carlsbad California to Michigan. It cost $80.00 to ship it. The box was huge. It had 2x2's reinforcing the box. bungie cords holding everything in place. The small parts such as spinner, landing gear, prop etc. were packed inside using a smaller box.
I can't remember how long it took to ship but if i recall 5 days. The person who built the box did an awesome job. Nothing was damaged.
It was shipped via Greyhound.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I shipped a plane UPS from my Minnesota office to my Florida office. It cost $8 to ship. When i shipped it back, rather than go all the way down to the office, I went to a "UPS Store". They wanted $55 to ship it back!

I said, "Screw that!" and went back to the office. It cost $11 to ship it back from Florida to MN. I don't know what the difference was, but the bottom like is - It's a LOT cheaper to ship from a business that has regular UPS pick-ups.