Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba 8U 2.4ghz conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 8U 2.4ghz conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
superbird
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8U 2.4ghz conversion

Hi, hopefully somone can help me with this. I have a older futaba 8U radio and im thinking of converting it to 2.4ghz, first has anyone out there converted this radio to 2.4ghz? I know hitec,futaba,and spectrum make this converson. I just want to get some help on making the decision to convert or buy new. Also if I do convert it will it work with all those bind n fly models available. Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 8U 2.4ghz conversion

I have the module for my 9-C, I went with Hitec. Most of the bind and fly planes are set up for spektrum so you would have to go with the spek system. One friend I fly with changed over his 9-C with the JR/Spektrum just because they offer a better selection of RXs. They work great, just pop out your old Module and pop in the 2.4. It's a good deal and works well.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Like Gray Beard says. It all depends on the module you install in radio. I have a 9ZAP and 3 different modules. I have a Futaba module, which will only operate Futaba receivers. I have a Spektrum module for Futaba, which will operate Spektrum receivers. I use this for all the small bind and fly models from Horizon. And I have an Assan module for Futaba which when installed operates Assan receivers. I have a Campac in the transmitter for all the different models.

You can't sell the older trannies, there is nothing wrong with them, so use them.

JMO

steve
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

Like Gray Beard says. It all depends on the module you install in radio. I have a 9ZAP and 3 different modules. I have a Futaba module, which will only operate Futaba receivers. I have a Spektrum module for Futaba, which will operate Spektrum receivers. I use this for all the small bind and fly models from Horizon. And I have an Assan module for Futaba which when installed operates Assan receivers. I have a Campac in the transmitter for all the different models.

You can't sell the older trannies, there is nothing wrong with them, so use them.

JMO

steve
That's my feelings, if you have a good TX that you like there is no reason to buy a new one when you can just change them over for a few bucks.. Your 8 is a good one and you can still use it for your 72 stuff until you are able to buy new 2.4 TXs.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

JMO

steve
That's my feelings, if you have a good TX that you like there is no reason to buy a new one when you can just change them over for a few bucks.. Your 8 is a good one and you can still use it for your 72 stuff until you are able to buy new 2.4 TXs.

Right, I didn't mention all the 72meg stuff I still have and fly, just another module. You can fly 72 very cheap now, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!!!! Another point. I shoped the swap meets and for sale forums, with a little patience, I found all my modules for sale at much less than retail price. Fly 72 and update when you can find the other modules, save some money.
steve
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
superbird
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys, your advise was very helpful. l I think the spectrum setup sounds to be the way to go due to all the bind and fly models that are available. I do like my old trusty futaba 8U I know how to program it and all my current models are programed into it. so thanks again for helping me with my decision.