Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 twist 60

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hanger 9 twist 60

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
james.carter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger 9 twist 60

I recently put together a 60 size twist and have 2 flights with it. The first flight I nearly crashed it on the landing and the second time was a little better but not much. Some times the controls seem mushy and some times the opposite. I have -50% expo in the ailerons and Elevator, and the CG is within the manufactures suggestion. It flies and lands much differently than anything I have flown before. Any suggestions on making it fly and land better?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:28 PM
delman

Default RE: hanger 9 twist 60

What engine and prop size are you using? For a lot of Twist 60 fliers the cg needs to be closer to the forward cg recomendation than the aft position especially if the fuel tank is almost empty when landing. Mine has a Saito 91 with an apc 15x4 prop.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
james.carter

OS 61. master airscrew 12/6 and the CG is on the forward recomendatition line.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: james.carter

I recently put together a 60 size twist and have 2 flights with it. The first flight I nearly crashed it on the landing and the second time was a little better but not much. Some times the controls seem mushy and some times the opposite. I have -50% expo in the ailerons and Elevator, and the CG is within the manufactures suggestion. It flies and lands much differently than anything I have flown before. Any suggestions on making it fly and land better?
What type of planes are you used to flying? I have a Twist 40 and that was definitely a different plane for me to learn to fly. It was a real challenge. I still have to re-adjust some if I have not flown it in a while. It is such a different bird, but once you fly it a lot it will grow on you. It is sick crazy on high rates! Rolls like a drill motor and short loops appear to turn in place like flipping a pancake.

It is amazing how slow it will fly with the right prop setup. It is also a fun flyer in windy weather. I think you could walk beside mine if you want to slow it up. I have to work with my balance because I cannot hover it as easily as I thought I could. I see others on youtube hovering them with ease and I have the same basic setup, so I am sure it is mostly pilot issues and some balancing work on my part.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:50 AM
delman

You could try a 13x4 prop for more airflow over the flight controls. Did you balance the plane upside down and laterally as well?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM
azrenagade

What kind of transmitter are you using. expo is different on a futaba verses Jr one uses negitive expo the other positive expo
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM
james.carter

I am use to flying a 46 size Skytiger, an Advance 40, and a Dragon Lady that I put an OS 91 in. The twist is a step up for sure.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
james.carter

I am using a Futaba 4.2 radio. I had no idea how much expo to use becaues I have never flown with expo in any of my planes before. I have the throws set at the minimum listed in the book.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 AM
james.carter

I did balance it upside down. I didn't balance it laterally, but I didn't have any problems laterally. In fact I didn't need to trim the ailerons at all. It also did not roll nearly as fast as I thought it would. I was thinking about extending the throws on the ailerons and shortening the throw on the elevator.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM
delman

Did you have to put in down trim on the elevator to fly level upright? Just a little down elevator for inverted flight? Let us know how it flies after your changes.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: james.carter

I am use to flying a 46 size Skytiger, an Advance 40, and a Dragon Lady that I put an OS 91 in. The twist is a step up for sure.
I fly a Pulse XT 40, AW Extra 260, Rev 70, Rev 59 and a few others. When I bought the Twist 40 it was a totally different bird for me! I almost lost it a couple of times and felt it was difficult to fly until I started flying it more. I then realized it is simply a different flying style of plane.

I have a 55AX on the front end with a 12.75 x 3.75 prop (I think). I think it is a bit overpowered because you can get it trimmed out and when you go to using full power it pulls off to the side some. I need a lot more practice with it. It is a blast to fly though and will land on a dime and leave a nickel in change
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
james.carter

Ok, I made a few adjustments to my twist and the weather was finally nice enough to try it again. I moved the CG half an inch in front of the forward line suggested by the manual. I ditched the expo on the elevator and lowered the throw. The engine and prop are the same. The controls are much better in the air. It rolls great, and loops much better than before, however, it still wants to nose up at slow speeds. On landing I have to push down on the stick which I do not have to do on my other planes. Is this normal? I am getting much better at landing it and my last landing was descent! Is there anything else I can do to fix the ballooning on landing? Thanks for all of you suggestions. It is already way better.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
delman

Mine does drop its tail a little on landing as it slows down just before touch down. Maybe you had your expo adjusted the wrong way for your radio brand on the elevator but it sounds like your adapting to how different it flies compared to your other planes. You still might try an apc 13x4 prop some time on your 61 engine for your twist. It is a good plane once your used to it. The nose up tendency means it still is flying a little tail heavy which is good for hovering but takes getting used to for landings (the touch of down elevator).