Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

matchbox battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

matchbox battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 PM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default matchbox battery

Im setting up a used hanger 9 sukhoi 33% i bought and i have put all new 7954sh hitec servos on each elevator. two on the rudder, a 5645mg on the throttle and two more 7954's on each aileron(4 total) i have the ailerons on a jr matchbox and im useing a 2100mah hyperion life battery, my question is should i put a additional battery on the matchbox(if so what size) or will the hyperion 2100 life take care of it all?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: matchbox battery

I would run two of those batteries and two HD switches going directly into the RX. I have set up dozens of airplanes with matchboxes and have never felt the need to power the matchbox.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 PM
joco1

I am running two of those batteries (2100) into a wolverine switch but only one wire into my receiver,i am useing a dx7 radio and a ar7000 receiver so im kinda short on channels!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: joco1

Im setting up a used hanger 9 sukhoi 33% i bought and i have put all new 7954sh hitec servos on each elevator. two on the rudder, a 5645mg on the throttle and two more 7954's on each aileron(4 total) i have the ailerons on a jr matchbox and im useing a 2100mah hyperion life battery, my question is should i put a additional battery on the matchbox(if so what size) or will the hyperion 2100 life take care of it all?
So you're running all 4 servo through just the 1 match box? IMHO that is a lot of current going through 1 wire to power those 4 servo. I'm assuming that's your concern as well?

Using the Wolverine I wouldn't add a 3rd battery. I would "Y" off the Wolverine output and run power directly to the Matchbox Jumper port also. This would remove the amp draw of at least those 4 Aileron servos from passing through the Rx.

There's more than on way to skin a cat, but with that many High Amp Draw Programable servos I would have used a Smart Fly Power Expander Pro, and sync the Aileron servos with a programer.

Also, Why a 5645 for throttle?? the torque is overkill and they are kinda slow,, a 5625 would be a better choice IMO

Good luck

Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 AM
joco1

Guess i should have started out saying also that this is my first gasser plane ,so im kinda new to all of this type setting up! i took the 5645 servos off the rudder and put 2 new 7945's in their place, so i had two of the 5645's extra so i thought i would put it on the throttle , i also have a couple 645mg's and a ds821 laying around ,would either of them be better suited on my throttle? Also i assume you mean to use a y-harness off the wolverine switch and to the matchbox,like i said its kinda new to me and i just want to get everything right!!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM
scale only 4 me

I personally just don't like the speed of the 5645 for an airframe that you want to have quick response with. Many guys use them and are perfectly happy.. IMHO if you're going to do any 3D type flying you'll want quick throttle response. The ds821 is faster,, I'd go with that.

Yes, I mean Y off the power lead to the Receiver, to power both the Receiver and the Match box from the Wolverine switch. You already have redundancy through the switch, plenty of Amps with 2 batteries, I don't see the need for a 3rd battery with that set up.

That said,
Most guys use one power box per wing half, not both through one, this way they can still use the Differential mixing settings by having 2 aileron channels being used

Good luck
Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 AM
joco1

Thanks for the info i will switch out to the ds821 ! I have never used or setup a matchbox system i received it in the mail this week and im planning on getting started setting it up over the weekend, if i get another matchbox will i have enough room on my ar7000 receiver to use it ,i am useing two channels for my elevators ,a y- harness on my rudders ,my gear switch for my opti-kill, will i just y-harness my ailerons into the aileron channel from the matchbox ?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM
scale only 4 me

I'm not a JR guy, but I'm pretty sure if you run a second Aileron Channel you use AUX-1 and AIL on the RX and select Flaperon as the wing type on the TX. I know that DX7 can be tricky. Other guys will correct me if I'm wrong

The Elevators I prefer to use a Y and program one to reverse direction, Getting Elevators to work exactly together on 2 different channels through mixing is always tricky, One always seam to move a little off from the other,, I've done it on many planes, it's a PITA.

BTW, If you're going to invest in the Hitec Digitals, it pays to buy a Programer too
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
joco1

now im wondering if the 2100 life-o hyperion battery will be too much current going to my matchbox is there a danger it will be too much voltage ?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:34 PM
scale only 4 me

2100 is the capacity, actually 4200 in your total set up, 6.6 is the voltage
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
joco1

sorry thought i wrote the rest of it in there, the batteries are 2100 mah, 6.6volts, 10.5 current amps and 8.4 max charge amps,the matchbox says on it, max 6volts so will i need a regulator?