Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

baffle

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:36 AM
ifly04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffle

I have heard people say they remove the baffle from their muffelrs is this hard on the engine at all. I tried one flight with the baffle and several w/o and noticed a much improved climb and power but inverted isn't so good the engine is an evolution .46
thanks for any input.
Brandon
Old 08-16-2003, 03:41 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baffle

Yes removing the baffle can give you some added RPM because you have removed a restriction to the exhaust gases coming out of the engine. Sounds good until it comes to application as you have found out. The baffle was designed to give the engine some back pressure to run better and also many are placed in such a way that the nipple going to your fuel tank pressure is part of the system. If you want added RPM and more power from your engine I would try a bit more nitro in the fuel and a few different prop sizes on the plane to improve performance.
There are other alternatives such as after market mufflers that promise better performance and tuned pipes. These are fine for some experienced modelers . However I suggest yous work a bit with what you have first and get the best out of the setup you now have. The next alternative is another more powerful engine.
Don't worry about RPM as much as how your aircraft performs using different props and fuels first.
Go slow and only make one change at a time . You may be very surprised on how much power you can get out of what you have.