Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Who packages their CA in a bottle with a non cloggin tip.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Who packages their CA in a bottle with a non cloggin tip.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:43 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Who packages their CA in a bottle with a non cloggin tip.

Is there any brand of CA that is packaged in a bottle that is fitted with a non clogging tip, as I am tired of having to de-clog the applicator tip on my CA most everytime I want to use it.

Karol
Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Who packages their CA in a bottle with a non cloggin tip.

Try these

www.mercuryadhesives.com

Ken
Old 06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Try these

www.mercuryadhesives.com

Ken

I use Mercury, but I still have to put debonder on the tip and clean it periodically, it will still want to cake up at the tip and eventually clog up.

Pete
Old 06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pete,
THanks for the follow up. I know that they advertise the "industry's only non-clog" tip, but I've never tried it so I don't have a first hand experience with it.

Karolh,
 what I do for the little CA that I use is I keep a small sealed jar with acetone in it. Just keep your tips in that jar. once a tip starts clogging a little bit simply swap it out with a fresh tip. It works pretty well for me

Ken
Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the acetone tip, will give it a try for sure.

Karol
Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use an old pill bottle for my tips like Ken. I have to use my long thin needle nose to get the tips out. This type of tip can and will clog sometimes with only one use so the acetone bottle ends up getting used a lot. I have to wipe the tips with a paper towel then bow the old glue and acetone through them to get them cleared out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33131.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1618933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40419.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1618934  
Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchase four ounce bottles of CA and never use the tips. Instead I use these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB970&P=7

The entire cap is mearly unscrewed and the applicator is filled then the cap returned to the bottle. The applicators (usually one for thin and one for medium) are not emptied after a use. Instead they are just stored in a glass jar big end down, always instantly ready for use. The applicators can just be trimmed when clogged quickly and they will last for a long time and the cost is quite economical.

John

Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Try USA Gold sold by Balsa USA. It's the best. Just follow the instructions that they insert with their glue products.
I've been using their products for years with no problems. Balsausa.com
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Pete,
THanks for the follow up. I know that they advertise the ''industry's only non-clog'' tip, but I've never tried it so I don't have a first hand experience with it.

Karolh,
what I do for the little CA that I use is I keep a small sealed jar with acetone in it. Just keep your tips in that jar. once a tip starts clogging a little bit simply swap it out with a fresh tip. It works pretty well for me

Ken

No problem.

Soaking the tips in a Acetone in a jar is a great idea, again I learned something new.

Thanks Ken!

Pete
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I do the jar of acetone thing too. Any time I finish a bottle of CA the bottle gets chucked but the tip goes in the jar. This way I always a have a supply of clean tips available
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Pasteur medical pipettes which are very similar to Dave Browns as listed on Tower (as above).
Also the pipettes can be had on the net at or around 50 for $ 12.00 / $14.00 Or $ .50 each at the LHS.

5 types available 100 for $ 5.10 to $ 9.95 (and one 23ml. super sized model 12 in. long) from here:
http://www.carolina.com/product/equi...ortby=ourPicks

Several years ago, when the CA made the price jump a friend found a place that sold fresh CA in 16 oz. bottles.

1. Handi Bond is or was for $ 19.95 per 16 oz. I had a bottle of this in the fridge and after 3 years is still good.
About $ 1.25 per oz. or 2.50 beats $ 9.00 per bottle at the LHS. Sorry gents but I gotta eat an live too.

2. Hyper Bond 16 oz. is super fresh and is an excellent CA, but a bit more in price. From www.rabidmodels.com
His page also shows non clog tips which I have not tried. AKA as mudduck on the -bay.

I also store my bulk CA in a sealable plastic bag with a package of desiccant in the fridge.
Do not freeze just cold and dry.

Keep your CA as far away from your accelerator as possible. I use Baking Soda instead.
Moisture (humidity) is the enemy of using (or storing CA even in the refrigerator).

Don't forget to refresh your Acetone or MEK every once in a while it seems to help.

BTW: I fill my own 2 oz. needle/dropper bottles when there is a need for a build session.
Found a local drug store that had a small supply of these. Generally each bottle is good for 6 to 8 refills.

Also:
From canned air from the computer store the small air director tube can be inserted 3/8 in. into the 2oz dropper bottle cap. About four inches overall works great for me. If it plugs just cut the plugged end off or replace with a new piece of tube.

Caution with Canned Air........some of it is flamable as it is Butane !

CAUTION...... Cotton, Wool and CA ! see the video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/613004...ustion_how_to/
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Yea, I do the jar of acetone thing too. Any time I finish a bottle of CA the bottle gets chucked but the tip goes in the jar. This way I always a have a supply of clean tips available

Ditto that, except the toss the bottle part. Typically I'll empty a 1/2 oz bottle and throw the whole thing in a larger acetone jar. I'm not too fond of the "zap" bottles as they have a "sub-tip" that's hard to keep clean. My 1/2 oz bottles are my "building" bottle size though I rarely buy it in that size(unless I need a new "building bottle") I usually get the largest bottle I can get and just keep cleaning and refilling the small bottles. I probably have 6 or 8 tips that have never had the top cut off/opened yet.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: GSNut

I use Pasteur medical pipettes which are very similar to Dave Browns as listed on Tower (as above).

6 types available 100 for $ 9.95 from here:
http://www.carolina.com/product/equi...ortby=ourPicks

Several years ago, when the CA made the price jump a friend found a place that sold fresh CA in 16 oz. bottles. Also the pipettes can be had on the net at or around 50 for $ 12.00. Or $ .50 each at the LHS.

1. Handi Bond is or was for $ 19.95 per 16 oz. I had a bottle of this in the fridge and after 3 years is still good.
About $ 1.25 per oz. or 2.50 beats $ 9.00 per bottle at the LHS. Sorry gents but I gotta eat an live too.

2. Hyper Bond 16 oz. is super fresh and is an excellent CA, but a bit more in price. From www.rabidmodels.com
His page also shows non clog tips which I have not tried.

I also store my bulk CA in a sealable plastic bag with a package of desiccant in the fridge.
Do not freeze just cold and dry.

Keep your CA as far away from your accelerator as possible. I use Baking Soda instead.
Moisture (humidity) is the enemy of using (or storing CA even in the refrigerator).

Don't forget to refresh your Acetone or MEK every once in a while it seems to help.

BTW: I fill my own 2 oz. needle/dropper bottles when there is a need for a build session.
Found a local drug store that had a small supply of these. Generally each bottle is good for 6 to 8 refills.

Also:
From canned air from the computer store the small air director tube can be inserted 3/8 in. into the 2oz dropper bottle cap. About four inches overall works great for me. If it plugs just cut the plugged end off or replace with a new piece of tube.

Caution with Canned Air........some of it is flamable as it is Butane instead !

CAUTION...... Cotton, Wool and CA ! see the video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/613004...ustion_how_to/

After reading your Post I went out and bought a handful of medical pipettes at my LHS. Most hobby shops sell them anywhere from $0.40- $0.75. From what I read they work good so I'll give them a shot.

I saw them at the LHS before and I didn't know what they were used for. And at the time I had other things on my mind, other than to ask. So thanks for the tip.

Pete
Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Welcome Pete !

Enjoy
Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You won,t regret trying the CA applicators, you wont find that link at towers I listed above under pipettes.

But regardless of where you get them they offer many advantages in the ability to use them in unusual or akward angles or simply just getting the stickum down where you want the stickum.

Best of all if you leave them on the bench in a jar or cup like this then they are always ready instantly with no preparation time or clean up time after. Do not empty them after use. It is my preferance to not have to deal with acetone in my shop.

They can last for months you just snip off the tips as any clogs occur.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89406.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1620684  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

You won,t regret trying the CA applicators, you wont find that link at towers I listed above under pipettes.

But regardless of where you get them they offer many advantages in the ability to use them in unusual or akward angles or simply just getting the stickum down where you want the stickum.

Best of all if you leave them on the bench in a jar or cup like this then they are always ready instantly with no preparation time or clean up time after. Do not empty them after use. It is my preferance to not have to deal with acetone in my shop.

They can last for months you just snip off the tips as any clogs occur.

John

Great idea, Thanks John I'll do that.

Pete
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Toss the bottle?? Shame on you Mike!!! For shame!!! For shame!! I buy one two ounce bottle of CA once in a while then I buy my CA in bulk 8 ounce bottles and just refill as needed. I can get the 8 ounce bottles from wood working supplie stores or at Hobby Town and save myself a few bucks. For long term storage I keep it in the freezer. I have never had any go bad and I have only had one bottle spill. No, the wife knows nothing about it but it did happen once.