Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Red Fueling Valve

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Red Fueling Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Maxdog.vf213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Fueling Valve

Well Here we go again..lol. Lots of questions Ihave all the time..

So Ibought a Fueler valve and it is red instead of sliver and I now am reading its for gas instead of nitro, well My question is whats the differ? Wy cant Iuse it with nitro? Is it something to do with nitro being stronger with some chemical and it damages it?

Why cant Iuse it?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Red Fueling Valve

In time, the alcohol will deteriorate the rubber seals

Do yourself a favor, bring it back and don't bother with refueling valves. You'll find that while SOME people use them, most of us gave up on them a long time ago.

Try Fuel Dots instead
Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Maxdog.vf213

I got one of those also, is a fuel dot like thing but instead of just pushing it in and it sticks cause the hose is alil bigger, this one screws in too..
Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maxdog.vf213

I got one of those also, is a fuel dot like thing but instead of just pushing it in and it sticks cause the hose is alil bigger, this one screws in too..
You need a camera so you can post some photos. I have a couple of dot type of fillers {for lack of a better word} that is just a dot that gets a quarter twist to seat the cap. They don't care if your using gas or glow. A filler valve is something entirely different. As Mike mentiond, I gave up using filler valves decades ago and use several different ways to fill up a tank. Split lines and dots are my main choice.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Oh Ihave quite a few Cameras, justdont ever think of taking pics of everything..lol. Not using the filler valve cause #1 its the wrong one and #2 Idont want to screw with it after hearing what issues people deal with..

Anyways, here are your pics..lol.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96727.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1700939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23464.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1700940  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I've run into that problem that the fuel line is too thick to go back in with the dot on, solution is to carefully shave the sides of the fuel line down until it fits in snug but not too tight that it comes off when you pull the dot out. Be patient and cut a little at a time, you'll get it to work.

good luck

Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard

Oh I have quite a few Cameras, just dont ever think of taking pics of everything..lol. Not using the filler valve cause #1 its the wrong one and #2 I dont want to screw with it after hearing what issues people deal with..

Anyways, here are your pics..lol.

I have one of those I think. Can't tell 100% from the photo. The one I have has a tapered fitting on my gas can line and it presses into that fitting with a seal or tight fit. You gas up then pull the line out then install the cap to the filler. If they are the same then there is no reason to not be able to use it with both gas and glow. Just depends on what type of line you are using. The only problem I have run into was loosing the filler part that going into my filler fuel line. I have never bought one but I have gotten a couple when working on old planes. These are not what we are talking about when we speak of fuel fillers. Perhaps Mike or Scale will post a thread showing you what type of fillers end up having a problem. That is just another type of dot.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Well I found out ya cant use GAS ones with NITRO gas, guess the Nitro has a strong Chemical in it that will eat the O Ring, go figure.Does work the other way around though, Can use Nitro One With Gas Fueler..

Guess if Iever go gas I will have one, but again Ihave heard alot of horror stories about them after time so prob just see if Icant get store credit or something for it, or see if someone at My field needs one. Still sealed in package and still dont know where it came from. lol.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
scale only 4 me

They both will get ruined if you use the wrong fuel with either,,
Gas will eat the glow version faster, probably the first day you'll see problems. Glow fuel will also eat the gas version,, it will just take longer to see the damage

Gary,
I've used both the Glow and Gas versions of the Dubro "Kwik-Fill" valves. I assume that's what were taking about here.

The nitro ones I had lasted for a quite a few years before they start to leak when I'd fill the tank. The biggest down side I found was they get dirty and that dirt gets in the fuel. Pretty much impossible to keep 100% clean. So you wan to run a filter between the valve and the Carb. Still $15 and dead after 3-4 years??? not a great value.

The only gas one I used,, was the giant scale version,, it lasted less than a year before the valve leaked, the o-ring got stiff and was difficult to fuel up the plane without it leaking all over the place.. I'd for sure never use the gas version again. Franky I'm surprised then even still make them,,

The Fuel Dots are the way to go, less expensive and never go bad
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Gray Beard

I had one that was in my Cub. I didn't fly the Cub for a couple months and when I took it out to the field I filled my tank and it was like the filler was welded in!! I pulled it and used a split line that day. Went home and removed any of the fillers I had mounted in a plane and went to the dot. Most the time it is an air leak but my problem with them was different. A dot cost about 5 bucks. I keep several on hand and in different sizes. I still like a split line too if I can hide the split. Some planes I don't care if it's seen or not.
I have been using a glow hand pump for my gassers for years. No problems at all. The diaphragm may be silicone??
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Where can one buy these fuel dots, 100 miles to closet HS
Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: bob62

Where can one buy these fuel dots, 100 miles to closet HS
I think Tower still stocks them. Central Hobbies, Don's. Most any big mail order shops.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 PM
bob62

I have brought them from Tower, I went through their list for what seem forever and I could not fine them. I assume that they don't handle anymore. We will try Don's. Thanks Bob
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
scale only 4 me

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=806442

good guy,, sells simple ones though his web site too http://www.badbradgraphics.com/photo_16.html
Old 12-22-2011, 03:24 AM
bob62

Thank you sir, went to his web site he has some neet stuff. We will just work up a order and call him. Thanks again for your useful info.

Bob
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

After reading this, I am going to not use the filler valve on my P-51 and may return it.  I got it from tower though so not sure if worth the shipping cost.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Maxdog.vf213

God Ole Fashion Fule Dots work the best, the fuelers are great to have when they work but so arent worth the trouble.. Glad to see it helped some people out.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Gray Beard

God Ole Fashion Fuel Dots work the best, the fuelers are great to have when they work but so aren't worth the trouble.. Glad to see it helped some people out.
If anyone wanted to take the trouble of doing a search on RCU there is a new thread about dots and valves about every month. A few people love and swear by the valves, a lot more are dot people. The beauty of free choice. I was just out in the shop and looking at a big red fueler valve, it's big and I'm sure it came out of a gasser? How long it was in the plane then on my shelf I haven't a clue. Don't recall where it even came from. I gave the valve a push and it's frozen. Sure is big!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Maxdog.vf213

Well the great thing about new threads is it gets people talking again about a topic previously discussed and in the time from thelast thread alot of new experiences can happen and not to many remember the old thread to go back to. People see it at teh top of the list and bamm, I just had that happen, and they post with their new situation.
One thing I know about this hobby is that so much can happen in a short time and things are ALWAYSchanging.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

God Ole Fashion Fuel Dots work the best, the fuelers are great to have when they work but so aren't worth the trouble.. Glad to see it helped some people out.
If anyone wanted to take the trouble of doing a search on RCU there is a new thread about dots and valves about every month. A few people love and swear by the valves, a lot more are dot people. The beauty of free choice. I was just out in the shop and looking at a big red fueler valve, it's big and I'm sure it came out of a gasser? How long it was in the plane then on my shelf I haven't a clue. Don't recall where it even came from. I gave the valve a push and it's frozen. Sure is big!!!
At one time they made both the gas ans glow version in both sizes,,

Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I use both the gas and glow Dubro Kwik-fill valves in both sizes in about 25 planes. I keep sets of rebuild kits on hand for each type that Dubro sells for a few bucks. Can replace the o-rings and spring and plunger in about 3 minutes with a t-pin. I have a friend that does it with the fueler still on the planes. Most of mine have been good for 3 to 4 years. Some say if one is sticking at the field a drop of oil in the valve may free it up enough to get by for the day. A filler with a stuck valve will let you fill the tank but won't let any fuel get to the carb when you try to start the engine. My son uses the dots and loves them. I just was never smart enough to make a 3 line tank work.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Ifind the 3 line tanks easier to deal with and work then using the Fuelers, is just Me maybe. Ijust find that there is always something to go wrong with em.. Ihad one on My High wing trainer, Ibought it used so it was already in place and even after rebuilds it was just one thing after another but wasnt 100% familiar with em enough to know if ya can use the gas ones with nitro. I know it wasnt a forsure cause they wouldnt make 2 differ ones if that was the case so is why Iasked in here about others experiences with em.

They remind Me of a 4 stroke engine, great to have andare rather awesomewhen they work right but unfortunatly its a rare thing..lol. 4 Strokes are 2 to many and an easy fueler is easy to give ya problems..lol.
Again is just My opinion and Experience.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Gray Beard

I find the 3 line tanks easier to deal with and work then using the Fuelers, is just Me maybe. I just find that there is always something to go wrong with em.. I had one on My High wing trainer, I bought it used so it was already in place and even after rebuilds it was just one thing after another but wasnt 100% familiar with em enough to know if ya can use the gas ones with nitro. I know it wasnt a forsure cause they wouldnt make 2 differ ones if that was the case so is why I asked in here about others experiences with em.

They remind Me of a 4 stroke engine, great to have and are rather awesome when they work right but unfortunatly its a rare thing..lol. 4 Strokes are 2 to many and an easy fueler is easy to give ya problems..lol.
Again is just My opinion and Experience.
A rare thing?? You must hang with four thumbed bimbos if a good running four stroke is a rare thing.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Maxdog.vf213

Yea, Im sure there in steady weather Nevada everything just runs great but here where there is actually a change in climate thats more then just hot and hotter, 4 strokes are a pain in the butt.. Is always something to screw with to get it right that day..
But atleast your open to hearing others OPINIONS.. Thought Imade that pretty clear more then once in the post.. WAS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION!

And who I hang with is none of your concern.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Gray Beard

Yea, Im sure there in steady weather Nevada everything just runs great but here where there is actually a change in climate thats more then just hot and hotter, 4 strokes are a pain in the butt.. Is always something to screw with to get it right that day..
But atleast your open to hearing others OPINIONS.. Thought I made that pretty clear more then once in the post.. WAS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION!

And who I hang with is none of your concern.
It runs from 115 to 20 here and snows. I moved here from the mountains of Yosemite. 115 to 20 and it snows there too. I only run one two stroke glow engine, the rest are all YS or OS four strokes. I have no opinion, I know they are easier then a two stroke. Other then valves they tune just the same as a two stroke. If required I do adjust the valves maybe every year or two and check them once a year. The difference between running one from 100 degrees to 20 degrees is about 4 clicks on the high speed needle. Sort of like a two stroke only you don't need to be twisting the needles every time you run one.
I also rebuild engines. A four stroke takes me 20 or 30 minutes longer. That's the only difference I have noticed between the two. Not an opinion. Just something I have learned over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.