Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hit on plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit on plane

We purchased this plane used, it was ready to fly. The plane when purchased had a pcm receiver on channel 46 and a transmitter that was a old pcm transmitter. This planes flys good but it is hit with frequency problems. We have changed every thing but servo's and relocated the receiver and ant wire, but it still get hits when flying. With this plane sitting on bench and you pass transmitter by it controls jump. We removed the pcm receiver and install a 168 receiver and it still does it. Any imput would be appriciated. When plane is flying and the controls or hit it seems to be every thing is left as far as alerons and rudder and down on the elevator.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hit on plane

Details, details and details. Cut loose with the info or no one is going to be able to second guess what is going on.

Exactly what was the PCM rx and what exactly is the old PCM Tx. Futaba for example has three different 'old' PCM systems with no compatability and another is Hitec with two different PCM systems and no in brand compatability.

There are many in brand pitfalls when you may be mixing old stuff.
So what exactly do you have in detail.

John
Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM

JohnThe receiver that was in the plane was a Futaba FP-R127DP duel conv. PCM. The transmitter that came with the plane was Futaba Conquest FP-T6NPK. All of this was on channel 48. We removed the 48 crystal and installed our number 50 crystal. The plane was a nightmare to fly, it received hit after hit flying. We installed a 168 receiver and changed back to PPM, still got hits. We them changed out the switch, battery, another receiver and moved the receiver to a different location in the plane and rerouted the ant wire. Still can't fly plane for hits. With this plane sitting on the stand, switch and transmitter on. You pass the transmitter close to plane and controls go crazy.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a bad servo.... try a different transmitter
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What engine and type are you using?? Glow? Gas? Just wondering. Old gear can be a problem but it can also be something as simple as the switch or RF.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM

OK I have a Conquest FP-T5NLP in hand it is a PCM unit and I use to fly it. This is an old 512 system and would not be compatable with a later 1024 RX. I am not sure if both your Rx and TX are both 512's but suspect the Rx you tried to use is a later 1024 rx system.

This Tx is not selectable to PPM and is only a 512 PCM and not sure about yours anyway I am not sure that you have compatible units.

At any rate this equipment I feel is far to old to risk any of my stuff with. I do have one very old Tx converted to 2.4 but this is a nostagia thing not my normal thing.

John
Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM

What about this? What kind of engine are you useing? I mean by, what kind of throttle linkage do you have? Is it all metal to the servo? Ive allways heard never run all metal, if you have a metal trottle arm then you need to have a plastic contection linkage so it breaks up the RF noise, or so I have heard? just a thought and my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

OK I have a Conquest FP-T5NLP in hand it is a PCM unit and I use to fly it. This is an old 512 system and would not be compatable with a later 1024 RX. I am not sure if both your Rx and TX are both 512's but suspect the Rx you tried to use is a later 1024 rx system.
The manual for his transmitter shows it came with the receiver he's got.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6nfk-6npk-manual.pdf

Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob62
JohnThe receiver that was in the plane was a Futaba FP-R127DP duel conv. PCM. The transmitter that came with the plane was Futaba Conquest FP-T6NPK. All of this was on channel 48. We removed the 48 crystal and installed our number 50 crystal. The plane was a nightmare to fly, it received hit after hit flying. We installed a 168 receiver and changed back to PPM, still got hits. We them changed out the switch, battery, another receiver and moved the receiver to a different location in the plane and rerouted the ant wire. Still can't fly plane for hits. With this plane sitting on the stand, switch and transmitter on. You pass the transmitter close to plane and controls go crazy.
Futaba makes several different type of crystals. When you swapped the receiver crystal did you use the correct model for the receiver?

Remove the receiver from the plane, plug in one known good servo and a battery. See if it still glitches. If it does, consider sending the transmitter and receiver somewhere for service. If it doesn't glitch, put it back in the plane and plug in the battery and one servo. If you don't get glitching, plug in one more servo at a time.

Also note that it is against FCC regulations to change the transmitter crystal if you don't have the training and tools needed to confirm the transmitter signal is still within specs.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Glitching when you bring the Tx near the plane on the ground isn't necessarily a problem. Long servo leads will act as antennas and when the Tx is very close to the plane the power levels are quite high. You can get interfering signals in the servo leads which will cause shuddering in the control surfaces. If this occurs but disappears when you walk away from the plane, it is easily fixed by putting a ferrite choke in the servo lead.

However, the fact that it glitches while flying indicates a definite problem and some of the suggestions others have made sound good to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

We installed a 168 receiver and changed back to PPM, still got hits.

I beleve those instructions are for two different Transmitters One version is PPM only and yours is PCM only.

It appears you cannot switch back to PPM.

John
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

pm.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

IIUC, you changed the transmitter frequency? That's probably at least part of the problem there. At the very least, you'll suffer a loss of range. At worst, you'll shoot down someone else's airplane on an adjacent channel. But if you're getting random glitches with multiple receivers with multiple crystals then the transmitter is probably defective. The good news is you can replace it for about $30 in the marketplace, probably with a couple of receivers on the right channel included.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Check that the Antenna connection inside the TX is tight also,, I've had a couple TXs that the antenna mounts or wire to the PC board came loose and caused similar problems

good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Change to 2.4 
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of plane? Sport planes usually dont have problems, but if it is a biplane with metal rigging that could be it. I would use a different TX and RX combo; if it still does it ,there are a bunch of steel to steel contacts in the plane from pushrods and ends to metal hinges.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 AM

hi
send the TX and RX in for a check upand repair if required
that should solve any problem you are having with you radio signal
enjoy regards tony
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you a troll!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Get the tx/rx to a radio shop. Some of the Futaba PCM rx were fragile. Probably easiest  to go 2.4.</p>
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM

I have to agree with most of the above. Send tx and rx for service before you loose your plane or someone elses.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

The Pamster
AMA 202345
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Reply to all, appriciate all imput. Going to fly one more time, if it acts up will dismantle and put in garbage. We have come to conclusion that it is in the plane. We have two cap 7 transmitters and it act up on both and all 13 other planes work fine
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Could be a bad wire on the battery. Like I had once. Couldn't see it unless the wire was moved a certain way.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
My Feedback: (283)

You never did say what type servos you are using. but it sounds like old dirty feedback pots in the servos. does the transmiter combinations work well in any other plane you have. Also note that mixiing 512 pcm with 1024 pcm in any combination doesn't function at all.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM

That is what we are looking at know, the wing has two 3305 servo's, the elevator has two 3004 Futaba's. The thottle has a JR as well as the rudder. We were looking on Tower and they state that the 3305 is for boats and cars only and that they should be used only with nicad batterys
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Reply to all, appriciate all imput. Going to fly one more time, if it acts up will dismantle and put in garbage. We have come to conclusion that it is in the plane. We have two cap 7 transmitters and it act up on both and all 13 other planes work fine

Check antenna length. Being used someone may have trimmed it. If you change the length, if effects the frequency, You should be able to find the correct length on the web I assume. I know my old airtronics had to be 36". If you changed it due to crash, or to "fit" the fuse, radio problems galore. I guess you could use the 36" as a guide, is it at least that or shorter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.