Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Those pesky paypal fees

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Those pesky paypal fees

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Those pesky paypal fees

ORIGINAL: mighty9

When you go to the counter at the lhs he doesnt say that will be another 3% because of how you payed. Twist it how you see fit. Now ill put les back on ignore.
That 3% is already figured into the price in most cases, it sure is in my shop.

Watch your gas pump change to a higher price when you select credit card as the form of payment. It happens a lot.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Its 3%. Yall are complaining like its 30. I mean really an extra $3 on a $100 item, that you are probably only paying 50% of its "new" price anyways. Do we honestly have nothing better to complain about? Its a service provided to both the buyer and seller. You wouldnt expect a lawyer to provde his service for free would you? If you want to use paypals service, your going to have to pay them. Now who pays them depends on each individual.

I have always included the 3% fee on anyhing i have ever purchased and paid with paypal. I look at it as a faster way of getting my item, and their is some recourse to getting my money back if the item never arrives. This is a service for the buyer, so i consider them responsible for the fee. If the deal is a high dollar one, i will split it with the buyer, but im not going to eat the entire 3% on my own
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear what everyone is saying, but I am getting tired of hearing people complain about the fees. No one forces you to do anything. you don't have to buy orsell thru PayPal. If you are a seller it is your right to either eat the fees yourself or tell the buyer it is their responsibility to pay them. As long as everything is out on the open before you complete the deal and nobody is caught off guard. fees are part of doing business. If you don't like the fees then you don't have to use the service. This is how PayPal is setup and it isn't a sercret. Everybody know there are fees involved. So just grow up and suck it up. If you don't like the fees pay some other way. In the end you are paying for a valuable service and PayPal wants to make money (and has every right to do so) by providing the service. They are not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to pay anything.

On a side note: if you are selling an item and not going thru ebay but negotiating a deal privately you can send the seller the money as a gift and by doing this you can bypass the fees. I have done this several times.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why should the buyer take the hit of a fee when paypal benefits only the buyer? If I get paid by paypal I don't get the funds in my bank account for 5 days and by than I could have gotten a money order without the fees. As buyer if you want the benefits of paypal than you should pay for it. When I sell on here I am already taking a big loss on the item and am not willing to take an additional 3% hit. I am not a business so I can not see why you would think a individual should pay for a service that only benefits the buyer.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Lone Star Charles

There are a host of decisions to be made as a seller.  Add paypal or not.  Add shipping or not.  Add fees or not.  Add tax or not.  Ad naseum or not.  Be honest with the buyer, no matter the other decisions, and you will be a great seller.

Caveat emptor.  As a buyer, the only decisions to make are:  "What's my final price?"  and  "Do I want it that badly?" 

I do ask the LHS as well as many other merchants if there is a discount for cash.  If there is, I usually pay cash.  If there isn't, I usually charge to the credit card that gives the greatest cash back.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: Waco

why should the buyer take the hit of a fee when paypal benefits only the buyer? If I get paid by paypal I don't get the funds in my bank account for 5 days and by than I could have gotten a money order without the fees. As buyer if you want the benefits of paypal than you should pay for it. When I sell on here I am already taking a big loss on the item and am not willing to take an additional 3% hit. I am not a business so I can not see why you would think a individual should pay for a service that only benefits the buyer.
If you don't like it take your business somewhere else.

The seller DOES benifit by using PayPal as well as the buyer. I preffer to buy with PayPal and especially on Ebay. If a come across an item I want, but the seller doesnt allow paypal transactions I will find somene else who does.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
donho1

I sometimes ask for the 3% paypal fee's ..$3 per $100 and when I get fund's out of my paypal account using my paypal card my bank charges another $3...So if I sell something for $100 I'm only getting $94 ...So double fee's ..But paypal is quick and mostly secure.
Just my 2 cent's.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I used to have a PayPal account but not anymore. I had a descrepency with them and I lost some money so goodby PayPal. If I can't trust someone with a money order then I will stop buying.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

Pretty hard to add it on with a auction item . What gets my goat is ebays over 9% they now add on the shipping charges . A lot of buyers don't have a clue what it costs to sell on ebay . Listing fee, picture fee,final value fee, pay pal fee & now the shipping fee %.Next they will probably put a buyers fee on the item like the big car & auction houses do. All it takes is a couple of feedbacks that are not 5 star & they pull your top rated statis & you lose the discount you used to get. I lost mine because I added the % on shipping in the shipping charge & some one didn't like it . The buyer only pays it once, if I didn't it would be on me for every sale & that adds up.Ebay is NOT for the seller & with out them they don't seem to realize that there would be NO buyers . Thanks I needed to get this off my chest. Big Max 1935
EBay is now ripping the seller even further! If you sell anything on EBay you will not receive your money until the buyer gets the goods! I will never sell on ebay again! I have in the past asked for 5% additional on PayPal transactions and will continue to do so. It is fair considering the fee that PayPal charges. However, that being said, someone told me you can get around the fees by saying the payment is a "gift". Anybody care to chime in on that?

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

For what it's worth, the PayPal user agreement, prohibits asking for additional fees for using PayPal. It is however OK to discount for cash.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I have seen an Airtronics SD10G being sold on Ebay for $69.95, with a $300 shipping charge..  its because of people doing things like that that made it necessary for Ebay to change the way the set their fees..  there is always going to be someone that doesn't play by the rules that messes it up for everybody else..  One bad apple, as the story goes!

Craig
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually, when I sell something expensive, I consider the cash price I want to get for the item. Then, someone offers me half my asking price. Sometimes they offer 75% of my asking price. Then they want to pay with paypal ... My answer ,,, "No problem, just pay the paypal fee." It might be all well and good for the seller to absorb the paypal fee if the buyer gives you the asking price. But when they want to low-ball you, AND expect you to take the hit on the paypal fee, that is just taking advantage of the seller. I'd rather not deal with people like that.

To each, his own.

As I wrote before, I'd rather take a check from someone than to allow paypal to profit from the sale. Paypal takes a bigger cut than crime bosses do when they launder money.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
spinkgi
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

For what it's worth, the PayPal user agreement, prohibits asking for additional fees for using PayPal. It is however OK to discount for cash.
Interesting...is this what you're refering to?

copied from the paypal user agreement...

9. Restricted Activities.

9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, the PayPal Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, other Users, or third parties, you will not:

k. Conduct your business or use the PayPal Services in a manner that results in or may result in complaints, Disputes, Claims, Reversals, Chargebacks, fees, fines, penalties and other liability to PayPal, other Users, third parties or you;

Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
SeaJay

there has been a time that I wish I had used Paypal.. I had purchased a set of Weber carbs for a VW beetle off of a kid on ebay, I sent a money order, and he didnt ship the carbs for nearly 3 months..  it took a call to his mother before he sent the carbs off, then to top it off, when the carbs did arrive, I looked at them, but didn't inspect them as closely as I should have, when I finally needed to use them, I had found that the Mounting flanges were severely cracked, and the carbs were useless..  I didn't notice this, because he had painted them to cover it up..  paypal might have saved me the problems of severely delayed shipping, if he wouldn't have gotten the money until I gave him feedback. although the issue of the broken carbs would have been on me in the end anyway, since I didn't inspect them closely enough upon receipt.

Craig

Old 01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: spinkgi

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Interesting...is this what you're refering to?

copied from the paypal user agreement...

9. Restricted Activities.

9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, the PayPal Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, other Users, or third parties, you will not:

k. Conduct your business or use the PayPal Services in a manner that results in or may result in complaints, Disputes, Claims, Reversals, Chargebacks, fees, fines, penalties and other liability to PayPal, other Users, third parties or you;

From my understanding, this applies ONLY to transactions conducted through e-bay of pigs. And that is because "e-bay of pigs" owns paypal. Just another reason I don't sell anythnig through e-bay of pigs. By the time e-bay of pigs and paypal take their numerous fees, it adds up to 20% of the sale. The seller takes a major loss in the sale of the item. I don't see how anyone can run a profitable business when e-bay of pigs and paypal make more money from the sale of an item than the seller did.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

As both a buyer and a seller I am not a fan of the fees. With that said, when selling I do ask the buyer pays the fees if THEY CHOOSE to pay with paypal. If you don't like the fees (like I don't like the fees) just send a check, money order or pay with ca$h! That's the beauty of commerce, Freedom of Choice!

-Sean

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Airplanes400

e-bay of pigs may be a fine venue when you want to sell off grandma's or grandpa's estate of old junk you don't want. But with their numerous listing, selling, shipping, final, and paypal fees, they have put many people out of business. It just isn't right when these two parasitic companies make more money than the seller ... who has to make large financial investments and risks. No wonder why sellers come and go so fast on that site.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
donho1

ORIGINAL: Loopman

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

Pretty hard to add it on with a auction item . What gets my goat is ebays over 9% they now add on the shipping charges . A lot of buyers don't have a clue what it costs to sell on ebay . Listing fee, picture fee,final value fee, pay pal fee & now the shipping fee %.Next they will probably put a buyers fee on the item like the big car & auction houses do. All it takes is a couple of feedbacks that are not 5 star & they pull your top rated statis & you lose the discount you used to get. I lost mine because I added the % on shipping in the shipping charge & some one didn't like it . The buyer only pays it once, if I didn't it would be on me for every sale & that adds up.Ebay is NOT for the seller & with out them they don't seem to realize that there would be NO buyers . Thanks I needed to get this off my chest. Big Max 1935
EBay is now ripping the seller even further! If you sell anything on EBay you will not receive your money until the buyer gets the goods! I will never sell on ebay again! I have in the past asked for 5% additional on PayPal transactions and will continue to do so. It is fair considering the fee that PayPal charges. However, that being said, someone told me you can get around the fees by saying the payment is a ''gift''. Anybody care to chime in on that?

Happy Flying!

Loopman
I heard that if you made a paypay payment as a gift you dont get the protection you would get otherwise .
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM
SeaJay

Just make sure to do your due diligence before paying with check or MO, make sure the seller has a good rating before sending afore mentioned monies. if I had payed a little more attention to the sellers feedback rating, probably wouldnt have had any problems.. you can be sure that I now check the sellers rating very well now, prior to doing business with them.. I have a 100% feedback as a buyer, and now make sure the selle has a very high feedback rating also..

Craig.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I remember when e-Bay was a good place to buy things. Much cheaper then any store and always good deals on used rc  equipment. That has changed. Most things found on e-Bay I can get cheaper in the store. It' s only good for finding some odd things.
And I don't know why the Paypal fee has to be 3%, it is basically not much more then an automated website. But as a buyer it's just safer to use.
Last year I bought some vette tires over the internet (tires-easy.com) and they never shipped them and told me they'd refund the money. After a few weeks of e-mails and more promises I contacted PayPal and had my money back the same day.
So I pay the fee and have some piece of mind.
For the seller - I think it's ok to give the buyer the otion to pay cash or use paypal +3%. Fair enough
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
jessiej

I am a great fan of the free market. On any item I choose to buy or sell I like being able to use/not use paypal, Ebay, classified ads, local or national auction houses, flea markets, barter, cash,... The choices are endless. So far I have been able to use all of these and more. Sometimes I am willing to pay a bit more for convenience, sometimes not. It is my choice.

jess

Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: mighty9

When you go to the counter at the lhs he doesnt say that will be another 3% because of how you payed. Twist it how you see fit. Now ill put les back on ignore.
I just want to comment on this. It wasn't directed at me, but I want to point out a few things.

First of all, we are not a store, we are people on RCU who want to sell stuff we no longer need. So, our asking for the paypal fee to be paid by the buyer is not unreasonable.

Secondly, you don't go into a store, grab a few things, bring them to the counter and say, "I'll give you half the price of whats on the price tags." You just pay the price that is on the tag ... No questions asked.

Thirdly, any store has a tremendous mark-up on every item they sell. That mark-up is usually 100%. That means, the item that has an $18 price on it was purchased by the store for just $9. AND they most likely got a net 60, or net 90 day term to pay for the item. In many cases, the item is bought by a customer BEFORE the merchant has to pay their vendor.

Additionally, each store owner, merchant, or company realizes that 90~95% of their sales are done through credit cards. They usually/always make allowances for this by marking each item up by an additional 2 or 3% to cover the credit card transaction fees.

Now about credit cards ...
Each business is charged a monthly access fee by a bank for using credit card services. A business is also charged terminal fees, as well as other fees. In general these fees total just 0.75% (three quarters of one percent) of gross sales, if they negotiated well with their bank. Banks also give lower rates depending on the sales volume of the business.

Credit card fees vary as to whether they are participating, or non participating credit card agencies. There are actually four levels (tiers) to this structure. The basic Visa and MasterCard fees are 1.15% ~ 1.75% of the transaction. American Express is 1.75 to 2% (10+ years ago, they used to be 3~4%). Discover Card charges about the same percent as American Express. The highest transaction fees (2.25% ~ 2.80%) for a business to incurr on a credit card purchase, appears on a Cash Rewards Credit Card. These Cash Rewards credit cards can be on Visa or MasterCard cards, and through any bank that offers Cash Rewards Programs on their credit cards. For the merchant, they don't know if the card the purchaser presents is on a Cash Rewards Program, or any of the four tiers. So, the merchant doesn't know if they will be charged 1.75% or up to 2.8% for the transaction. Regardless, they have enough of a margin built into the price to cover the cost.

I know this because I conducted credit card processing for several businesses.

Since paypal is one of the largest clearing houses for credit card transactions, they get the absolute lowest rates in the country. I would guess that paypal pays no more than 1% for any transaction conducted through them. Do the math... Paypal is worth BILLIONS AND BILLIONS. I'm also willing to bet that the salesman for this banking contract hasn't worked another day in his/her life after getting this contract signed. I also bet that the salesman is living in pure luxury on his/her own private island with a 30,000 sq ft home, and 200 foot yacht, AND vacationing regularly throughout the world.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Every Internet market has pros and cons. I bought a plane here in the buy sell section. 
Although it was listed as new RTF, it was only partially assembled. It only had the servos installed, the engine was missing the end needle and the cowling had no holes drilled. The gas tank, and wheel pants were not installed. The tail wheel came off in transportation. 
I picked the plane up and pay cash-pal. I guess it was my fault because I didn't check the plane completely until I was home. We were at a rest's parking lot though.
So pay pal, check, money order or Washington card all have pros and cons.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I agree,, I never add on when I sell,, but that said. In most cases paypal protects the buyer more than the seller,, if you pay with a Money Order to avoid the fees you'll have little recourse if the deal goes south.. I see it as buyer's insurance @ 3%. The same way you say the seller should, I factor that into my offering price. It works both ways.
I disagree with that statement! Uncle Sam will really hammer your @$$ if you screw somebody with a money order transaction! Uncle isn't patient with folks using the postal service or its products to scam others! Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: invertmast

...that you are probably only paying 50% of its ''new'' price anyways.
Usually the reason I'm paying 50% of its "new" price is because it's not new.

The biggest way to avoid this whole argument is for the seller to just factor the paypal fee into their pricing. Stop asking for an additional 3%. Buyers don't want to see that in an ad (I know I don't). If you get somebody who low-balls you, either don't take their offer, or haggle them up another couple dollars to cover the paypal fee. I'm not sure why this is an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.