Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Control line stunt and RC question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Control line stunt and RC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
rayzer 13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control line stunt and RC question

I have been looking at control line stunt airplanes lately and I noticed that when the elevater goes up both alerons go down does this work with RC planes for tighter loops ?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Control line stunt and RC question

In a word...no....except....isn't there always an except....If you have a radio capable you can add a mix...where as you can mix anything to anything...depending on the airplane or/and the type flying you do/ what the pilot wants.....
In a trainer airplane...no mix.....
Hope this answers your question
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes just as in the common controlline stunt flap arraingement many modern radios are capable of the "Eevator to Flap" mix that will perform much in the same way as it does for controlline. This is not the "Flap to Elevator" mix which the purpose is only to trim the airplane in pitch when one extends flaps.

This of course as always will only work within the contraints of airspeed and energy avaliable.

I have used it some types of RC airplanes just for fun and when used properly its quite useful and a kick.

John
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
rayzer 13

Well I have 2 airplanes that should be able to do some wild manuvers one is a ultra stick and the other one aint built yet it is the Sig Something extra
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Lnewqban

Note that those act like flaps (since CL needs no ailerons).

For RC planes that don't have flaps but extended or strip ailerons, that mix may be dangerous because they have the potential to induce a tip stall during banks or extreme AOA conditions.

For RC planes with flaps, it may be a good thing to try for tighter loops.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I set it up on my Ultra Stick and found that I could get loops just as tight with bigger elevator throw. There comes a point when the plane gets so sensitive that it's not any fun to fly it. The one value that I can see to having that flap mix is if you're wanting to make 90 degree pulls to up lines very sharp. But even then you're making the plane so pitch sensitive that the up line itself is going to be hard to keep straight.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since this discussion started with referance to this 'elevator to flap' and its common use in controlline stunt. We must recognize controlline stunt is not a highspeed event and slow steady power is the hallmark of the event and bursts of high power is not avaliable as is commonly done with RC aerobatics.

This is where this mix shines and that is tightening loops both inside and outside at slow steady pace that controlline stunt is performed at.

Now this is where this mix indeed does shine in RC aerobatics and its is great fun to do both inside and outside stuff at low speed and low power. Often this freaks the peanut gallery out completely.

Using the mix on a switch is always the way I have used it on certain airplanes and it is fun.

One caveat is its more effective on an airplane with an independant four surface/servo wing than one with just two surfaces/servos also utilizing
flaperon.

Exploring the envelop of any airplane is what its all about.

John