Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Quality difference between TRUE TURN or DAVE BROWN 3.5"alum. spinners?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Quality difference between TRUE TURN or DAVE BROWN 3.5"alum. spinners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 03:28 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quality difference between TRUE TURN or DAVE BROWN 3.5"alum. spinners?

I'm going to be building a Big Bingo with a Moki 2.1, and I need to buy a 3.5 "spinner. I will have the spinner cut at the factory for a 20x10" zinger prop.

This is not a Top Gun scale warbird I'm building. I can save $25 to $35 bucks using a Dave Brown Spinner instead of a True Turn Spinner, but I have no experience with either one of these.

Will the Dave Brown work well enough for my purposes? What is the extra $30 bucks for a TRUE TURN Spinner buying me that the Dave Brown Spinner doesn't provide?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:57 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru Turn is lighter/better quality.

I have used both. The Tru Turn comes out a little lighter. Your motor will not know the difference.

I buy Dave Brown and save the bucks for something else.

tonyc
Old 08-29-2003, 04:05 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both brands (in smaller sizes), and there is no obvious difference. The Tru-Turns are actually machined from bar stock, while the Dave Browns are "spun" from an aluminum slug (I think!). Theoretically, the Tru-Turn may be stronger, but I cannot tell the difference. I know Tru-Turn offers custom cutting for your prop, but does Dave Brown as well?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:58 PM
rustyrivet

Well guys I'm glad to hear a thumbs up with the Dave Brown.

Flying Pilgrim;
Yes, they will custom cut the spinner for a $5 charge while you're already ordering it from them. Even that is about half of what True Turn charges. Of course $5 bucks is no bid deal, and I bring up the price comparison just to make the point that the Dave Brown is all the way around cheaper with the spinner, the adapter, and their custom service too. They are also very helpfull on the phone.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Spaceclam

tru turn makes a better spinner. it is made out of a higher grade aluminum, and is a lot lighter than dave brown spinners. dave brown spinners are made of fairly cheap aluminum, so they are thick, and weigh a lot. also, i have had problems with a bieve of the nose separating from the spinner body. i sent it back to them and it their replacement did it as well i was not impressed. tru turn also offers a back plate lightening cut for 7.95 that lightens you backplate, in the case of a 3.5 spinner, maybe 2 ounces. more important for aerobatic models. go with the truturn. in your case, the dave brown spinner will probably weigh about 5 oz heavier than the truturn spinner
Old 08-31-2003, 01:44 AM
rustyrivet

Spaceclam,

Aw gee shucks! You mean I gotta pay $35 extra, and go through all this perfection for a plain Jane Big Bingo ? I was tempted to see if someone else sells a 3.5" plastic spinner altogether!!

I looked up the word "bieve" you stated, but couldn't find such a word in the dictionary. I really want to know what it is that you said seperated or fell apart on your Dave Brown spinner. What size cone was it? Was it off center perhaps that caused a problem? Loose Screws?

The Big Bingo is one heavy plane constructed with all lite ply. (Even the ribs!) If I remember what I've seen in the archives here, I'm going to need extra weight up front anyway on this plane. So the extra weight of the Dave Brown Spinner doesn't bother me. But I'm going to see if anybody else chimes in with criticism to steer me away from the Dave Brown. So far on this thread it's 2 to 1 in favor of me buying the Dave Brown

Just kidding with you. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:44 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randall,

I believe he was trying to make the point that the Tru-Turn is a MUCH better quality spinner overall; an opinion I share.

I've had both, and I also found a comparable Vor-Tech to be a good deal heavier and in general less well-finished than the several Tru-Turns I've owned.

I'm sure Vor-Techs work okay. I never tried mine, because I didn't need an extra pound of nose weight and prop governor.

Having said all of that, I think Tru-Turn is extraordinarily proud of their product. When I priced out a 3" one with the necessary custom cuts and Saito adapter hardware (why do the adapters for a Saito cost more???), I almost had a stroke; and passed on the purchase.

I may build a model one day that I feel justified in paying the cost of a digital servo for the model's spinner.

Steve
Old 08-31-2003, 12:45 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had some issues with the Vor-Tech 2 1/4" aluminum spinner. The place where they stopped machining the spinner (to make room for prop) was a failing point. The spinner would separate at that point. It happened twice, the first time from general flying (they replaced for free), the second one from my engine backfiring and throwing the prop. I looked at 3 more 2 1/4" Vor-Tech spinners in lhs and could see a fine dark line where the point of failure was. I decided to try Tru-Turn, been using for about a month, no problems yet.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Spaceclam

they are heavier indeed, but it may end up being cheaper to buy the truturn and add some weight as necessary
Old 08-31-2003, 08:48 PM
turbines
My Feedback: (9)

The Dave Brown spinners that I have used all seperated out on the very tip of the spinner. I believe it is the thicker part of the tip of the spinner where the socket head screw enters the spinner. The screw needs some support in this area. It looks like to me that in the manufacture of these spinners they are actually made out of two separate pieces of aluminum. The little tip of the spinner is pressed into the larger body of the spinner and then machined so that it doesn't show in the finished product. All in all tho, the D. Brown spinners are fine for sport flying.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Spaceclam

you got it spot on.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 PM
2dumbthums

I have the H9 sport cap 232 & when using the supplied plastic spinner, I had to add nose weight. Used a Higley flat brass prop nut w/ a Higley alum. nut. Bought the Dave Brown 2 1/2 alum. spinner & adapter. Didn't affect weight, as the 2 pcs. equaled the same as the first 3.