Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo suddenly died - any idea why?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo suddenly died - any idea why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
ravisurdhar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo suddenly died - any idea why?

I did a flight last weekend and everything went fine. Ibrought the plane out today and suddenly the left aileron servo is dead. As in it seems physically stuck - you can't move the arm manually or electronically. We tried everything we could think of (including changing it to a different connector on the RX)and we have no idea why it would suddenly fail. We also tried opening it up and inspecting the gears and everything looked normal. Any thoughts why a servo would suddenly die like that?

It's a Futaba S3156MG, connected to a Spektrum AR8000 and a DX8. We have a 5 cell NiMHreciever battery, as well as a Castle ICE ESCwhich has a BEC. The servo has less than 15 flights on it, each one lasting anywhere from 1 to 6 min.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Servo suddenly died - any idea why?

If you cannot move the arm at all, I am going with a broken gear train and the broken part is wedged in the other gears. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you plugged another Known good servo into the same Rx port as the other to confirm that something has not been changed or amiss on the Tx end?

Whoops missed that part about not being able to move the servo manually (power off?) Yes I agree with dave a gear problem.

John
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that would lock the servo up like that is the motor tied up.