Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dubro Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro Hinges

Someday I'm going to switch to the Dubro Pin Hinges. However, I can't recall any directions on what is the proper way to install them. I'm curious about what mythods, and glues are best used for this type of Hinge.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Dubro Hinges

Epoxy works. Gorilla glue is good too but it expands and until you get the knack its easy for it to ooze out and make a mess.

Most anything you glue it with, if it has a good bond, will be stronger than the wood around it.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already found this video which looks helpful.  However I was wondering why He doesn't show how to do it with the covering on.  And I also had some questions about the glue He uses, and why.

http://youtu.be/skD-nql1AJc
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No biggie - after finishing fitment of the hinges but before gluing, cover the plane, cut the slots in the film for the hinges and then glue 'em in.

Guessin' that he just likes to do a one piece covering of the fin/rudder, stab/elevator and wing/aileron pairs.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a demo so you can see what he is doing. How old is this vid?? Pacer quit making hinge glue a couple years ago. The hinge slotting tools he is using are old school, I haven't used mine in years. They really removed too much wood, then the slot machine came out. I still use my exacto knife and a knife with a couple of exacto saw blades in the handle to cut some slots. The slot machine really made things easier!!
The OP was asking about Hinge Pins and not flat hinges anyway. There is a jig/guide you can buy so the holes you drill are centered, it comes with two sizes of guides for large and medium hinges. Hinge pins work well of some models and not so well on others. ARFs I would not use pins in, you don't know how much wood on the LE and TE there is.
When I build a plane I make sure I glue in added wood in the area I plane on hinging with both flat and pin hinges so I have some added area to glue to. Without the Pacer glue I use Gorilla glue or epoxy. I do open up the area of the hinge center on both the LE and TE so they leave very little hinge gap, I use both a square cut and a bevel.
There isn't a lot to say about installing hinges but I have seen pages written about them?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
SeamusG

Hey Gene - Just did a search of the Dubro catalog. Couldn't find any hinge points, just pinned hinges.

I do like your idea of stacking X-acto blades for the slot - next time. I've used a wide kerf X-acto "big handle" saw blade. Makes for a "snug but not tight" fit for the standard pinned hinges. Never used the HD pinned hinges.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
nmav8r

I use the Great Planes slot machine hinge slotting tool.Tower Hobbies part number LXK263 for $21.99. works with plastic or CA hinges comes with 2 sets of blades
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

Hey Gene - Just did a search of the Dubro catalog. Couldn't find any hinge points, just pinned hinges.

I do like your idea of stacking X-acto blades for the slot - next time. I've used a wide kerf X-acto ''big handle'' saw blade. Makes for a ''snug but not tight'' fit for the standard pinned hinges. Never used the HD pinned hinges.

I don't stack blades, I use one blade for the cut but I have an old Exacto BIG handle I use it with a single Exacto SAW blade for thin hinges and then I put in two SAW blades in it for the thicker hinges. Once I got a slot machine I only cut slots by hand when the machine can't fit into a tight spot. The slot machine comes with one set of blades but you can also buy a set of thicker blades for giant size flat hinges. Sometines I use some very hard balsa for a TE or LE, add some CA into that mix and the machine may not cut through it very well so I resort to the exacto knife again.
When I can I prefer hinge pins, it is so much easier to just drill holes for the hinges. Keep in mind, I'm a builder and don't have any ARFs so I can more often then not use what I like. ARFs have limits due to design and materials used. I cut my slots before I bevel the edges too, it's easier to align them and cut the slots.
I really am lazy and slot cutting wqas always something I hated, the machine is so much easier but still not as easy as a drill!!