Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Battery for Enclosed Cargo Trailer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Battery for Enclosed Cargo Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery for Enclosed Cargo Trailer

Setting up my Enclosed Trailer to Haul my Planes around, will be setting up a 12 Volt System to power interior Lights, charger, etc; what battery would be best, a Deep Cycle RV Battery or any normal 12 Volt Automotive Battery?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM
crossman

Default RE: Battery for Enclosed Cargo Trailer

The deep cycle will handle the charge-discharge cycles better. A lot of the RV people use two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. I am told that they will last quite a lot longer than one 12 volt battery.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used just an auto battery in my camper and used one of those solar trickle chargers you buy at Harbor Freight, put the solar panel in the window. I left my camper at the wild life refuge during hunting season and would live in the camper for four days at a time. Other then lights and water pump all I used was a small 8 inch TV. My buddies plane hauler had an outside plug on the side and his chargers were set up to it, when he got home and parked his trailer he would just plug in the 110 volts and it kept his planes charged and ready for use. A deep cycle may be better if your going to be using it to charge your planes but those little solar chargers work very well!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM
bbbair

Please keep in mind that if you are going to have a battery charging in a trailer you should have a roof cap installed to allow fumes to vent. It is also recommended if you are transporting gasoline. Safety! Safety! Safety!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want nice lighting for a workshop get a 4-D. It will run your needs for a week trip without recharging. Marine gel are great but expensive.

A size 27 deep-cycle wet cell would likely be enough for a few lights and chargers.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I need to add, that I plan on having a Solar Panel on the Roof to trickle charge the Battery when I take the trailer to the fieldd or events etc, to keep the battery charged up; then, when I have the trailer at home, I can plug the trailer into AC to power the onboard charger to trickle/maintain the battery; so it sounds like a RV deep cycle battery will do the job.