Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Making my own battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Making my own battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Making my own battery

It sure ain't pretty, but if done right why wouldn't it work?, Those are just 2000 mah NiMH cells with a Duracell label, Wouldn't surprise me a bit if those cells came out of the same factory the Hobbico pre made packs do.

I know there's a false sense of security people in our hobby have in thinking the products we buy from Hobby Retailers is somehow better or even different than products from other sources, I've had plenty of "pre made" packs end up being crap after a short time too.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That battery could have used a strong dose of a 'false sense of security' It was in one of those Mystery crashs and the pictures don,t really show the cold solder joints and intermittant opening circuit which I was able to induce. Yes that was after the crash and you could say crash damage!

Thats just one battery and this is a common occurance with new flyers, especially ones who have been off flying by themselves, therefore my advice is always for newer flyers which by the nature of the op's post that would seem the case.

Now if you read my prior posts in this thread you would know that I am not condeming building up your own packs in general but it is dame good advice when we are dealing with newer flyers who want to save a buck or two.

I am also a strong supporter of developing solder skills for all modelers, even those who only deal with ARF's and I posted such in detail in a current thread about buying and stacking extensions for ailerons. Well this is the perfect place for leaning those soldering skills and learning to do soldered splices to eliminate those extensions. As the loss of a single aileron servo does not mean the automatic loss of the airplane as in the case of a cobbled up flight pack.

Indeed there will always be good compelling reasons to eventually learning to solder your own packs such as one I just did recently that involved cutting open a commercial 270 Nicd which are tiny little cells and resoldering them in a convuluted odd shape in order to stuff them in the nose of my new Discus Launch glider or the special one I am working on now that provides a saddle to mount internal and external of my low voltage Aurora tx for an extended XC coming up in November. Oh heck I remember now two years ago on the 2.4 conversion I did of my 42 year old Orbit Tx shoot the special pack I made up for that was cells stuffed all over inside that packed space.

The Point being is if you are a relative new flyer and not experianced at soldering then making up packs to save what ends up being only a couple of bucks maybe then its a bad idea and estremely false economy.

Learning soldering skills in an appropriate place such as extensions before attempting any kind of flight pack is a great idea

Always, just my own opinion

John
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM
scale only 4 me

John we agree on the idea it's not for beginners, again as I stated in my first post in the thread.

Thanks for explaining the packs flaws to all, the picture didn't tell the tale. A good example of knowing your limitations or learning of them the hard way.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

On the matter of those battery holders in most cases the cheap plastic one do have two serious failure modes and I certainly have experianced both. The first is eventuallly the spring contacts will corrode and fail. Its only a matter of time and how soon. The second problem on some of the plastic types the corner were one of the springs is will eventually weaken from heat (The plastic itself). This corner plastic will then be pushed away by the spring weakening the contact and eventually becoming intermittant. Of course there goes your RF link.

John

Follow up on the same subject [X(]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11273022/tm.htm
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the pictures scale only 4 me. Excellent further documentation that these types of cell holders really have no business in our airplanes at least as far as I am concerned and thats what I suggest to anyone who well listen in person or otherwise.

Some of the failures that I have run into in other folks airplanes and certainly not mine since I have never or would ever use those boxs, is very similar but not as severe and one of the random corners with the large springs seems to weaken perhaps by heat and or poor materials. The spring at that point opens up and loses contact pressure and the radio becomes intermitant[X(]

John