Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Single Axis Gyro

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Single Axis Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Axis Gyro

I don't know if this is the best forum to ask this question, but what are the options for single axis control gyros, ie mfg and models? I want to put one on the rudder of a third scale Cub for use on takeoffs.

Chuck
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Single Axis Gyro

G'day Chuck,
I wouldn't add a gyro, it just means more complication, all you need is better rudder control, be ready to add right rudder, hold full up elevator, apply power, very slowly & when it gets moving, slowly release the elevator, & as the tail comes up, steer with the rudder.
Maybe you need more rudder throw.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

This is the best, most all inclusive and longest thread on the subject that I am aware of.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605

Might take a while to digest it all, but the info you seek is in there.
Bob
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Whilst you're experimenting with the gyro... try taking off using very little throttle.
If you're anying over 1/4-1/3rd throttle by the time you're airborn you've over gunned it.
I had huge problems getting my (smaller) Cub to track straight on take off... was going everywhere, then I learnt a trick from one of the scalies.
He said just practice taxing in a straight line up and down the runway... increasing the throttle one notch at a time.
Well that was (eventually) simple enough and low and behold a couple of notches later I was airborn.
Remember, they're always going to try and weather vane into cross wind so be prepared...learn to use aileron to dip the wing into the cross wind and apply opposite rudder as you're practising the straight line taxi. The aileron trick is very usefull as the symtoms of the problem are often confused with yaw... causing you to compensate with rudder... and just making the problem worse. So the secret is just as much aileron as it is rudder and in MANY cases... it's all about aileron.

Getting a Cub off the ground with any finess is one of the great RC challenges IMO.
It's certainly worth learnig the trick.
One other thing, the engine needs right thrust... about 3.5Deg easy. If you don't have that built in the take off problem is going to be even worse.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 AM
beepee

Chuck,

Invariably these requests end up with advice on how to manage take off without a gyro. Good advice, but it does not answer the question. I have a gyro for this reason on a short coupled bipe and it improved ground handling significantly. Mine is very old and probably not available any longer, so I cannot help with make/model. What I will recommend is two things: get a rate gyro (not heading hold), and get one with the ability to turn it off in the air (with the gear switch usually). If you leave it on in the air the flying gets kinda squirrelly and it consumes battery power fighting you all the time. From time to time, you may work on t/o without it for practice. Then use it when you just want to relax and have fun. One side benefit I got out of it was that it helped a lot with crosswind landings.

Have fun!

Bedford