Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GP Super Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:45 PM
-Fast-Eddie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster

Hey i recently got the ARF version of the GP SS and ive heard stuff about the wheel pants ripping off and going through the wings etc... Well i went and got an aluminum landing gear to mount on the Fuse itself just in front of the wing saddle area. Some guys at the field i belong to have this plane and have put aluminum gear on and what not , but my question is if i were to just remove the wheel pant from the stock wire gears if this will still cause a problem with the gear wires bending or other problem like that. I am not sure if the problem was with the landing gear itself or the pants them sleves or both combined. Any help would be great
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Super Sportster

Part of the problem is the wire gear placement. It tends to want to tip the nose into the ground. I put dural (mines nylon, but aluminum would work too) gear on mine. Right in front of the wing leading edge on the fuse.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:41 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I find wheel pants always fall off and get broken. Rarely will I install them...
Old 09-11-2003, 09:51 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If you already mounted the wire gear in the wings, I'd use them. Just leave the wheel pants off.

You might have to bend them forward every once in a while. If they get bad, then change to the dural type mounted just ahead of the wing. You'll have to epoxy some light ply into the fuselage, and really should add some triangle stock between the ply and the fuse sides to strengthen the mounting.

I fly this plane, and did the LG modifiaction when I put it together. (Never opened up the wing slots.) It's my second SS and this one flys great too!!
Dennis-
Old 09-11-2003, 10:50 PM
-Fast-Eddie
My Feedback: (2)

thanks for teh help guys i for the mean time just left the stock wire gears on it and removed the wheel pants. Do you think adding 3" wheels to it would imprve to it??
Old 09-12-2003, 01:18 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Java, I fly mine from a rough grass field, and I've never had a problem with the stock wire landing gear (although I am one of those guys that had a wheel pant go through the wing on the first flight!) I would recommend larger wheels, however. I think mine has 3.5" wheels now.......it really had a tendency to nose over on our field, but like I said, it's very rough and patchy.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Kaos Rulz

Java,
Just bend the wire so that the wheel center is even with the wing's LE. I put mine in a vise and made the bend close to where the wire exists the wing. Haven't had to re-bend mine yet.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:57 AM
GoMike

Do what ED said.

That's the only plane I've seen that comes with the mains set so close to the CG. It's as if GP designed the airplane to tip forward and punish the flyer. You need to bend the mains so the axles are under the wing LE. They'll have much less tendency to bend back on landing, even on rough fields. And that stupid tipping over will be a thing of the past.

Mike
Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 PM
DBCherry

At least 3" diameter wheels on grass. The gear you have without the pants should be fine, but as mentioned, bend them forward.
Dennis-
Old 10-12-2003, 09:31 AM
3DFLYERBG89

My wheel pants went threw my wing when I was landing...Fixed it and left the wheel pants off...The plane looks good with them off too.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:17 AM
DBCherry

Yeah, I had the pants on my first one kick up through the wing, which i why I built this one with Dural type gear from the start.
Dennis-
Old 10-13-2003, 09:23 AM
CRFlyer

I built the gp SS 60 size plane this last year. I decided to use the aluminum gear mounted to the fuse forward of the wing saddle because I know a guy at my club that had an ARF version of the SS that had a lot of trouble with the stock landing gear coming loose and causing damage. I also decided to not use the wheel pants as we fly off grass. My plane looks and flys great.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:29 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wheel pants are not the problem in most cases. It is the fact that a lot of people land them hard, or on grass if it has holes in it the force on the gear mount blocks tend to eventually rip them out of the wing. The gear ahead of the wing will fix that, and be more secure if you do it right, or you can wait till they come out and fix them with ply ribs and triangle stock. Land easy and you won't have a problem. You will love the plane. It is one of the best looking and flying birds out there.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:31 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

I've got the SS 60 with gear in stock location. I left the pants off mine based on other stories about poking holes in wings. I have never had a problem.

Pilgrim
Old 10-13-2003, 09:32 PM
DBCherry

flyboy,
Obviously you've never landed one of these with the stock gear and wheel pants. If you had, you wouldn't be making those comments. I fly reasonably well, and land better than most. My first landing with the Sportster was as gentle as it possibly could have been. One of the pants kicked up through the wing.

I assumed I'd hit a hole or something, threw some packing tape over the holes (top and bottom of the wing) and flew again. Second landing was equally gentle and the pant on the other side kicked through the wing.

By the way, my landing gear was fine. No blocks pulled out of the wing, it wasn't even bent. Once the gear has done it's damage it springs back into position making it hard to believe it happened.
Dennis-
Old 10-14-2003, 09:19 AM
GoMike

DBCherry is right. My buddy's did the EXACT same thing on very good landings on grass. Those gear are very springy. If you don't bend them forward, they'll spring back and poke the wheel pants through the bottom of the wing. Almost no way to prevent it. LOSE THE WHEEL PANTS AND BEND THE GEAR FORWARD. Problem solved when this was done. A pain-in-the butt airplane became his favorite for years. Get those axles under the wing leading edge.

Mike
Old 10-14-2003, 02:46 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

To take that one step further, mine did it on TAKEOFF on a rough grass field!! (An no, this was NOT my first taildragger! )
Old 10-14-2003, 03:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

flyboy,
Obviously you've never landed one of these with the stock gear and wheel pants. If you had, you wouldn't be making those comments. I fly reasonably well, and land better than most. My first landing with the Sportster was as gentle as it possibly could have been. One of the pants kicked up through the wing.

I assumed I'd hit a hole or something, threw some packing tape over the holes (top and bottom of the wing) and flew again. Second landing was equally gentle and the pant on the other side kicked through the wing.

By the way, my landing gear was fine. No blocks pulled out of the wing, it wasn't even bent. Once the gear has done it's damage it springs back into position making it hard to believe it happened.
Dennis-
Quite the contrary! I have flown it for many many years with wheel pants on it. Then I put retracts on the second one. I don't mount wheel pants so that they will rotate. They are mounted pretty solid, The only way they can hit the wing is if the gear itself is torn out or bent.

If you are mounting them with the steering arm method so they can rotate on the gear wires, yes, you can get them to rotate and go through the wing. I mounted some that way when I first started flying, but they don't stay where they belong so I mount them more securely and have not had that problem.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:21 PM
DBCherry

The only way they can hit the wing is if the gear itself is torn out or bent.
Sorry, but you're wrong! My pants were mounted tight to the gear. The gear itself sprang back putting the tail of the pant entirely through the wing. The gear wound up in it's original position with absolutely NO damage to it or the blocks. Happened twice on very gentle landings.
If you are mounting them with the steering arm method so they can rotate on the gear wires, yes, you can get them to rotate and go through the wing.
As I said, they were mounted tight to the gear. You could not rotate them on the axles because they were fixed to the vertical leg.

What size is your's? Mine was a 40.
Dennis-