Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 fuel lines on top of tank (gas) >

fuel lines on top of tank (gas)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel lines on top of tank (gas)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: fuel lines on top of tank (gas)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

All YS engines use a check valve and you can get them from Central Hobbies or YS Service. A one way valve will need to be removed before filling the gas tank. Sounds like more work then useful.
The YS DZ140 through to the current DZ175cdi do not use a check valve as they are pumped.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drac I cannot speak for for the DZ140 through the DZ175 simply because I do not own or operate one of those however it is my beleif that all YS engines are pumped and use a similar pump system even the older two strokes as are the multiples of the 45 two stroke and a single .61 two stroke that I own which includes multiples of the FZ110 four stroke.

These of course and all the older four strokes 90, 115 and 120 so on all do use the one way check valve in their closed circuit pumped fuel systems as indicated by Grey Beard.

The larger and newer versions may well have dropped the check valve (that I do not know) but all are still 'pumped'

John

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allright! 2 pages! this is one of those threads we can really sink our teeth into.O.k here's my way of doing it, no loop, no missing fuel as far as I can see and if I need to turn it over with fuel Ijust stick a fuel plug or a bolt in it and I'm done. O.k, neeeeext.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a reply to post 21 and no one is asking you to.
GB,

The 1-way valve is a reasonable solution, one I have used on my vent line for years. It lets air in but prevents gas from escaping. Be careful with the YS 1 way valve, tho. The seat is made of silicone for glow fuel and it doesn't last a season in a gas application. YMMV
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drac1

All YS engines use a check valve and you can get them from Central Hobbies or YS Service. A one way valve will need to be removed before filling the gas tank. Sounds like more work then useful.
The YS DZ140 through to the current DZ175cdi do not use a check valve as they are pumped.
Drac,

What GB stated is correct. The older versions of the YS's used a pressurized tank system with a fuel regulator, in a Closed System. There was no venting done while the engine was operating. They have since gone away from the pressurized tank system as you have noted and are using regular pumps similar to Perrys and OS's, in Open Systems which must be vented.

Nevertheless, YS fueldelivery was not the OP's intended question.

A check valve intended for gasoline can be used on the vent line in a petrol tank allowing air in. Been doing that for several years with good results. Did that in glow 2 stroke application too where the fuel delivery was an open system
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

The point is/was to phone YS or Central to buy a YS one way pressure valve. A bad statement by me, sorry, I have half dozen YS engines and all are old 1.20 or 1.10s FZ, they all use a pressure valve. I run gassers too and have never used the valve on anything except YS engines. I just got my hands on my first DZ for repairs and it's a different animal. Also twice the price of the sport or FZ so I will never own one. I think the check valve is a waste of time on a gassers vent line. Like rapture, I just use a plug on the vent line when I need to flip over a plane. I do loop my vent line though and I have just run it straight out without the loop. It's not an issue and nothing to over think, the loop is just there so I don't waste gas when I have to pick up a plane and push it to the flight line. I use a catch tank on my glow engines but just let the gas flow out the vent on my gassers when they are full. Some fields require a catch can on gassers too but I'm flying these days off a dry lake bed or an old strip on private property so I don't need one right now.
OK, done with the thread now, let the over analyzing begin again.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Alluminum or brass tubing to exit the plane....
I then do like Bob said to do...with the angle..
The the metal tubes weigh less than a Long Gasoline fuel line does....actually quite a-bit more...

Only downside I would see to this setup would be if my plane attacked me and stuck the sharp brass fuel line in me!....
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Drac I cannot speak for for the DZ140 through the DZ175 simply because I do not own or operate one of those however it is my beleif that all YS engines are pumped and use a similar pump system even the older two strokes as are the multiples of the 45 two stroke and a single .61 two stroke that I own which includes multiples of the FZ110 four stroke.

These of course and all the older four strokes 90, 115 and 120 so on all do use the one way check valve in their closed circuit pumped fuel systems as indicated by Grey Beard.

The larger and newer versions may well have dropped the check valve (that I do not know) but all are still 'pumped'

John

Hi John, the previous versions to the DZ, ie FZ140 and 140L did not use a pump. They operated with a pressurized fuel system (hence the check valve) and a pressure regulator.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: drac1

Drac,

What GB stated is correct. The older versions of the YS's used a pressurized tank system with a fuel regulator, in a Closed System. There was no venting done while the engine was operating. They have since gone away from the pressurized tank system as you have noted and are using regular pumps similar to Perrys and OS's, in Open Systems which must be vented.

Nevertheless, YS fuel delivery was not the OP's intended question.

A check valve intended for gasoline can be used on the vent line in a petrol tank allowing air in. Been doing that for several years with good results. Did that in glow 2 stroke application too where the fuel delivery was an open system
Yeah i realize that Matt. Just clarifying that not all YS's use a check valve.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK but but now we are aruguing semantics and althought my experiance with every model of the YS from the YS 45 two stroke up to the the 120 fourstroke has been considered a pumped engine That provides fuel pressure way above ambient and not provided by muffler pressure That pressure did not appear out of magic.

I seriously doubt if any of this has anything to do with the original poster and his simple question about fuel line on top of a tank that he saw and that could have been anything or any kind of a fuel system.

John