Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pusher prop

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pusher prop

Does the writing on a pusher prop face the front of the plane or the rear of the plane
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Pusher prop

The "flat" portion of the blade faces backward so that the curved portion is forward. By "flat" and "curved" I mean the airfoil of the blade. I don't have any pusher props but I would guess they are printed on the front the same as tractor props so that the printing would face forward. I'm just guessing on that though.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On all the brands I'm familiar with, the printing faces the front of the plane.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Possibly a couple of photos will help visulize things. Look carefully at the photo of the orange airplane it is my creation with pusher engine installation and it pretty obvious how the prop is mounted, label facing the front of the aircraft and facing the engine. The other photo is an APC of the same size except one is a 'P' prop.

Now there is one execption to all this and that is most often talked about with twin engine airplanes. There are some advantages to reversing the run direction of one engine and when this is done on a conventional twin the engine that is reversed must use a (P) prop and it not mounted in the normal manner as above but instead with the "label" facing to the front same as the other engine.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58957.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	1880025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92596.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1880026  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Villa

Hi bob62
It is best NOT to use the writing on the prop to determine proper installation. I suggest you view the prop as a wing and go from there. A friend of mine built a pusher Canard and asked me to check it over prior to he making the maiden flight, because I had designed, built and flown Canard planes using pusher props, like his used. I thought it was OK and he took off. Well, the take-off looked normal, but then he porpoised all over the field and crashed. His prop was one I was not familier with [I believe it was a German prop] and it took someone else to note that the prop was installed backward. I had missed that!!!!!!!!! A prop mounted wrong but running in the correct direction so it pushes/pulls air in the correct direction, will only handle about 70% of the normal amount of air. The plane may be able to take off, but will be very sluggish. As I mentioned earlier, learn how to determine proper installation by viewing the prop as a wing and go from there.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
jetmech05

some the writing is forward some the writing is rear ward.....You must look at the prop blades to know for sure