Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Heavy duty servo extensions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Heavy duty servo extensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
Servo Extensions (to extend the wire from the servo to the receiver)
not servo output arms (mechanically connecting servo to pushrod)

Well don't I feel like a real dope. Guess I'm too tired to be on here. Oh well. I make my own extensions with heavier wire as needed for the length of run.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
No sensei, we are talking about wire, not hardware.

Les

p.s. With respect to your hardware, if it was me, I would find another supplier. Those things should be T6 condition, and not soft enough to bend. They appear to by 0 condition.
I answered your statement on the use of standard servo leads on high torque servos in very large airplanes, and those arms were 6061-T6, they should have been 2024-T3 or 7075-T6 or T7 but who was paying attention, certainly not H9 quality control... For those that don't know, you can bend 6061-T6 fairly easy, we use a great deal of it every day for ease of bending and of course it's weldable unlike 2024 or 7075... Just saying.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 08-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malitape
Do you have a source for gold connectors? Also, what gauge is heavy duty?
I get my gold plated servo connectors from Dymond RC. Of course, then I have to make up the extensions but they are ALL custom!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it was any thing using a larger then 60oz servo. Bigger wire supports a higher current load. Plus the cost of the HD extensions and bulk wire isn't that much more.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

For me it was any thing using a larger then 60oz servo. Bigger wire supports a higher current load. Plus the cost of the HD extensions and bulk wire isn't that much more.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 AM
sensei

I also makeup my servo wires with the heavier 20 gauge and in some cases 18 gauge shielded wires and a gold connector at the ends, I solder my wires direct to the servos to remove any added critical points of failure in the control system, all my servos are positioned in the airframe and the wires are run continuously direct from the servo to the receiver with no added extensions in line. The rudder servo wires in something like my 55 % 260 are 11' long feeding very power hungry servos with no heating or line drop issues. So I guess it is all in what works for you.

Bob
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

The voltage drop per 100 feet of wire @1 amp for 20 gauge wire is 2.02. The drop per 100 feet for 22 gauge is 3.20. A 1 foot extension for 20 gauge will lose .020 volts @ 1amp, while the 22 gauge will lose .032. Inconsequential.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"you can bend 6061-T6 fairly easy, "

I will have to admit that I have bent T-6; very carefully, and I would not consider it "easy", and the potential for degradation in the bend area is enormous.

Les
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
sensei

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
"you can bend 6061-T6 fairly easy, "

I will have to admit that I have bent T-6; very carefully, and I would not consider it "easy", and the potential for degradation in the bend area is enormous.

Les
Les,

6061-T6 is soft compared to 2024-T3 or 7075-T6, and so you know, one of the divisions I am in charge of includes break press bending and joggling upwards of 7000 6061 condition T-6 parts a month in support of the aerospace industry. Did you know that most all the landing gears that are bent metal on our toy airplanes are 6061-T6, Even the landing gear I designed manufactured and placed on my 70% Staudacher back in 1999 was bent from .500" thick 6061-T6. The simple fact is 6061-T6 is the engineered choice for most break press bending operations in aerospace. I think maybe you should do some research and get your facts in order before posting.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 08-29-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM
tomfiorentino

Originally Posted by sensei
I also makeup my servo wires with the heavier 20 gauge and in some cases 18 gauge shielded wires and a gold connector at the ends, I solder my wires direct to the servos to remove any added critical points of failure in the control system, all my servos are positioned in the airframe and the wires are run continuously direct from the servo to the receiver with no added extensions in line. The rudder servo wires in something like my 55 % 260 are 11' long feeding very power hungry servos with no heating or line drop issues. So I guess it is all in what works for you.

Bob
Bob, I really like the idea of having a continuous wire from inside the servo all the way to the receiver. But I guess I'm reluctant to swipe out the factory solder joint for something I would do in my basement! I recently eliminated an extension in my 50cc Extra because I was getting the documented servo twitching issue associated with the powersafe receiver and an extenstion more than 24" when using the Hitecs. The problem in my elevator servos went away immediately which was great because I love the Hitecs (and their support) but I can barely get to the receiver with the current extension length. So, without some extra slack in the wire to "float around" I am developing a chaffing issue that I need to address.

I thought about splicing a couple inches from the servo to get some extra length...but not re-doing the solder joint inside the servo.

Anybody else doing what Bob is doing? What about potential servo warranty issues, anything to worry about there?

Tom
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I've done it on really long runs, not as long as his though. But then, I solder for a living and have a $700 metcal RF solder station at home. I trust my solder joints.
Edwin
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom all of my airplanes that when an extension is required, I will simply take the servo, even brand new ones and cut the plug lead in half. Then I will solder in the perfect length of new servo wire that is of a heavier gauge tthan the stock servos wire. I never buy standard extension wires.

This eliminates unnecessary extra plugs and excessive extra wire length. This is been my sop for many years. Do not think I have ever returned a Hitec servo for warrenty but having the best customer service in the business I do not believe this would be any kind of warrenty problem.

John
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
sensei

soldering 2" or so away from the servo would be a great way to go as well, just make sure you have no cold solder joints and they are isolated from each other well, servos are not something you want an intermittent with while your flying, if you know what I mean...

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 08-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD?
why?
do this test :
using a battery an a taillight bulb which will pull 3-4 amps- add your extension into this setup
Which gets warm first?
the connectors or the wires
None of the present wire ends are rated for constant duty at over 3-4 amps

Sorry Les ,your setup pictured ,pulled relatively meager amounts of power - but then - it was enough at the time. Those servos were 40 in ounce as I recall.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

",pulled relatively meager amounts of power"

More than enough to do the job.

"but then - it was enough at the time."

And today, for me, and the kind of flying that I do. And the Futaba 148's claim all of 42 ounces:-))))))))))))))

Les
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
GRandolph

Don't forget about the switch! If you use HD servo extensions you should use a HD switch.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Personally, I use #22 on everything from 35%/100cc and under. Never had an issue. On the larger stuff, I use #20 with gold connectors. A 40% airplane flying 3D moves can easily see 40amp loads (according to guys doing this much longer than I) and I just "feel" better with #20 extensions making those 60" & 70" runs to the tail or wings.

Also, I use Fromeco Wolverine & Badger switches on the big stuff. I have 3 Miracle switches in use on gassers ranging from 30cc to 100cc. Some guys hate 'em, some love em. I have had zero failures to date. Hope I didn't jinx myself! LOL!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

" The simple fact is 6061-T6 is the engineered choice for most break press bending operations in aerospace. I think maybe you should do some research and get your facts in order before posting."

Since we are NOT in aerospace, but in our garages, without the niceties of a break bending press; my statement still stands. You might want to consider the venue, before posting.

Les

Les
Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 AM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

A simple test is to take your chosen extension and plug it into your battery and then into a digital battery load tester set at max amp load and see how much loss there is versus plugged directly into battery with no extension..

Rick
Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 AM
tomfiorentino

So it is a compromise between two current bottlenecks then...

On one hand is the limitation of the connector. On the other is the resistance created in a soldered splice which basically converts stranded wire to solid core wire for the length of the splice.

Has anyone measured the voltage and resistance changes when comparing our servo connectors to a soldered splice (all else remaining equal)?

Minus the electrics, the voltage and amp levels in say the 50cc stuff aren't that large to begin with so small changes could become relevent...no?

Tom
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 AM
sensei

Good morning Les,

You don't need a break press to properly bend 6061-T6 in your garage, but you do need a few basic tools and a basic understanding of minimum bend radii per material thickness, material grain direction and very important, all edges must be polished prior to the bending operation of your material, nicks and scratches on the material edge during a bend operation will create stress risers and will in fact crack your material as you bend it, especially if your bending 2024-T3 old boy. Now your statement: (the potential for degradation in the bend area is enormous) only applies if you do not know what your doing in the first place and I believe we have established a baseline for that truth already...

The
degradation you speak of in aluminum alloys is generally caused by a continuous bending moment, (back and forth) while work hardening the material with each wave until the material itself finally goes completely catastrophic. So you see the servo arms I purchased and posted pictures of were advertized by Horizon Hobby's/Hanger 9 to have been manufactured from 6061-T6 not condition 0 as you jumped in and stated, had they been condition 0 in my airplane, it would have made a smoking hole pretty fast. The fact is they were not up to the job, Fact is, plastic arms would have stripped or broke under full 3D deflection load of surfaces as large as they are in my application associated with airspeed of 118+ mph on the gun flat and level heading into some of those 3D maneuvers. I see you have gone back and edited your post with this, With respect to your hardware, if it was me, I would find another supplier. Those things should be T6 condition, and not soft enough to bend. They appear to by 0 condition. As I stated already, you do not get your facts in order before posting, I had already stated before your post that I switched my arms to SWBs and the problem went away... So back to the program, I also have not used any wires in my airplanes smaller that 20 Gauge in the last nearly 10 years, but then again I don't think I have purchased any flight control servos with less than 320 ozs. of torque in that length of time either.

Here is a flight video of the 150" wingspan airplane I designed, built and test flew for Aerotech R/C , it is also the airplane I bent the servo arms on. it is equipped with 600+ ozs. servos, and 11' 20 gauge wires on the rudder/elevators and the wings, well as I said it is a 150" span. If you watch the entire video you will see at times there are some very high current load maneuvers with no issues.

http://vimeo.com/22211697

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 08-30-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:26 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Press Brakes are nice but for our uses - a little background in min bending radius for various aluminum is all that's needed
Thisinfo is readily available
6061T6 is garden variety material-
strong, easy to bend and commonly available
Most model landing gear is made from it
and is in my book - not very good

For my BIG competition models (40+%) , I used 2024 T3 light and excellent recovery -unlike the 6061T6.
for super light FAI- 7075
The bending radius is critical on both but not impossible to do -even free hand,.using clamps
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by sensei
Good morning Les,

stated already, you do not get your facts in order before posting,
Who does that in this forum?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"The degradation you speak of in aluminum alloys is generally caused by a continuous bending moment, (back and forth)"

No. The degradation that I speak of is the fact, that with too small an inside radius of bend, the outer "skin" is stretched beyond the elastic limit of the material, and it fractures.

Les
Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 AM
sensei

Ignorance is bliss... I'm done.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.