Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Worldtex finishing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Worldtex finishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Worldtex finishing

I am covering my scratchbuilt Robin Hood 25 with worldtex covering. I used to use Coverite's Glasskote for a fuel proof finish which is no longer made. Can anyone suggest another sealer. Dope is hard on the covering. Thank you! -Tom
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KlassKote, a two part epoxy paint works very well and is very durable. However, rather expensive but well worth it.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Maxam

Thank you Rodney, Is it a hobby product or do you get it elsewhere like a paint supply?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by Maxam
Thank you Rodney, Is it a hobby product or do you get it elsewhere like a paint supply?
Some hobby shops now stock it but many do not as the demand for it is low. However, you can buy it on the webb, just Google KlassKote. You need to buy both the paint and the catalyst, about $10 each for half a pint of each. Come in either gloss or flat and in many colors, the web site lists most of them.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Maxam

Rodney, You have been most helpful. Two (hopefully) final questions; Can it be applied in a coat so thin the fabric can be felt and if there is sagging can heat be applied?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Rodney

You can either brush or spray. If you spray you have to also purchase thinner. I always brush as it brushes out very well and does not leave an brush strokes. Just be sure to use a good brush than won't shed any bristles. And, yes you can heat the fabric and work out any sags. Now, I've never had a sagging take place as long as the fabric was taunt prior to painting. The application of the paint will not cause sags.
Originally Posted by Maxam
Rodney, You have been most helpful. Two (hopefully) final questions; Can it be applied in a coat so thin the fabric can be felt and if there is sagging can heat be applied?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Maxam

Rodney, I placed the order last night for the Klasskote. Yes it is expensive! I got the thinner too to spray on. As I said I am looking to apply a very thin coat. Some of the people who wrote in were happy with a completely smooth finish with one coat and that is what I do not want! Again thank you for your time!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Rodney

Great, let us know the results (picture?) when you are finished.