Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removing Glued-on Canopy

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removing Glued-on Canopy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Glued-on Canopy

Before I use the Pacer glue to fasten on the canopy on my Chippy, I want to be sure to be able to remove it without wrecking either canopy or plane. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skip the glue entirely and use striping tape. (or use sheet metal screws and striping tape)

I'm not sure you'd be able to debond pacer glue once it dries.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I glued a pilot figure in a plane with that stuff. Later, I dumb thumbed the plane into a violent crash that totally destyroyed the plane--except for that pilot figure. It is still glued to the cockpit floor and I cannot get it loose. That stuff is amazing.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
RC_Fanatic

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Decided to go with double-sided tape and screws. World Models uses some neat silicone washers for canopy and cowling screws. I'll stop by there next week and pick some up.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have some double sided carpet tape that works well. It is very thin and has fibers running through it like nylon reinforced packing tape with very good holding power on both sides. I have, on occasion, used it to mount batteries or receivers and months later the battery or receiver was still very tight. I will admit, though, that when I do this, I also run a velcro strap or nylon wire tie around the component just to be sure. I also use double sided foam tape in some cases that does much the same thing but provides a bit of cushioning for the component.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
bikerbc

I very often put my canopy's on with #0 x 1/4" screws . It takes a bit of time but I like how it looks when its done .
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
I have some double sided carpet tape that works well. It is very thin and has fibers running through it like nylon reinforced packing tape with very good holding power on both sides. I have, on occasion, used it to mount batteries or receivers and months later the battery or receiver was still very tight. I will admit, though, that when I do this, I also run a velcro strap or nylon wire tie around the component just to be sure. I also use double sided foam tape in some cases that does much the same thing but provides a bit of cushioning for the component.
I use the same tape for similar uses but never thought of using it for the canopy. It is rather aggressive though and would probably pull the covering off. It is also a thicker than the other double-sided tape I have. I think I will go with the thinner tape and the screws.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I recently posed the same question on RCU a few months ago. One guy suggested using one of the GWS orange propellors cutting with the trailing edge of the prop. It worked, and did so with minimal damage. Work slowly and be prepared to use 2 or more props.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:14 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't Pacer similar to RC-56? The RC-56 is water soluble. I have removed canopies glued on with RC-56 by softening the joint with repeated applications of water. Soak a paper towel and lay it on the joint to allow the water time to penetrate. It may take several soaking and peeling cycles but it will eventually come off. And then you can clean all the old glue off of each surface, again, by soaking with water. Eventually it all comes off.

Dave
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goop or a similar product works well. It can be pealed off with no damage to the canopy or the fuselage. I had a rebuild thread in the crash forum showing how I did it on my CAP 232. a search in that forum should turn it up.

Ken
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a double edge razor blade to separate the canopy. It's actually a fairly easy job. Gluing scrap wood to one end for a handle makes it into a safer "knife". Snapping it in half lengthwise makes it better too, as there is only one cutting edge to worry about. Depends on the ductility of the steel.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM
RC_Fanatic

Thanks for the tips. All good ideas. I like the idea of gluing the canopy on as it keeps the oil and dust out of the canopy. My pilots, usually Barbies from the Good Will store, say the oil and dust ruin their hair styles!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 AM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Decided to go with double-sided tape and screws. World Models uses some neat silicone washers for canopy and cowling screws. I'll stop by there next week and pick some up.
Can you provide a link to those washers please? They sound interesting.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 AM
CafeenMan

By the way, you can use silicone adhesive which cuts very easily and excess rubs off plastic coverings easily enough. I've used silicone to glue lots of things to covering for the sole reason that it holds well and rubs off cleanly. No solvent necessary except maybe as a final wipe to prepare for gluing something back on in the same place.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Can you provide a link to those washers please? They sound interesting.
I couldn't find them until I found out they are called "grommets." Here is the link to the smaller ones, good for canopies and medium-size cowlings. http://ecsvr.com/abm/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes They also have slightly larger ones good for larger cowlings. If you go to the Airborne Models web site (www.airborne-models.com) and click on "Shopping," they have lots of useful bits.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you've got to go to this link, http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...asp?AGroupID=7
and type 'grommets' into the search field ...
here's a pic.

I LOVE those grommets btw, they're beveled, pretty simple to use and look great too.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM
CafeenMan

This is a direct link.

http://www.maniacshobbycomplex.com/a...-grommets.html
Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC Fanatic.

Why do you want your canopy to be removable ?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by TomCrump
RC Fanatic.

Why do you want your canopy to be removable ?
Because the pilot might have a bad hair day or need to freshen her make-up.