Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starter Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Question

I have a Sullivan Dynatron starter with a Miller reduction belt. Ordered 2 of the 12V starter packs from Hobbico. There real junk.... won't even hold a charge for one start. (using to start a DLE55 and DLE30). Have since bought 2 Sullivan packs (which they don't make any more, but the batteries are toast. Can someone tell me where I can the batteries for these packs and another charger unit. I'll need 12 batteries for each pack. Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020073.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	4.53 MB
ID:	1977942   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020074.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	1977943  
Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, no go straight to your local hardware/tool store and order a Black @ Decker 24 volt nicd drill battery pack, This pack is already made and provides the optimum voltage for the Dynatron to provide awsome performance. The Nicd cells have the ability to give up a lot of current without damage Also they are not seriously affected by deep discharge which is why I shy away lipo's for starters. This becomes very important when your starter is the most popular on the flight line.

I love my Dynatrons and have two one is direct drive and I can alternate between a one inch cup as well as a quickly removable two inch cup. The other has my home maid gear drive and this one has a three inch cup. It depends on what I am flying as to which I will use and for the smaller stuff I will use the 18 volt black and decker drill battery but the geared starter with the 24 volt battery has no problem with my OO 55GT and my G-62. The direct drive Dynatron with the 24 volt Black and Decker has not problem at all with my OS 33.

John

Name:	Starters 12 (1).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1978017  
Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 AM
KW_Counter

The starters use Sub C size batteries. There are many places to get them on line.
There is also room to put 2 2S1P LiPos in there.
You will need to configure them for series when running and charging each one separately.

I'm not disagreeing with John, just pointing out options.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Why not ditch the starter and hand flip those DLEs,, Mine start pretty darn easy by hand.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

I use the same starter/drive as OP and simply attached a flat four cell A123 battery directly to the starter. No wires, relatively light and it would start my DA 100 NO problem.

Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 03-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Hawk131

I use a 5 cell 3000 mah zippy lipo with mine, insane how fast it turns and for $27 shipped from Hobby King out of the American warehouse. Mine starter is a torque master 90.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:16 AM
JohnBuckner

The OP's starter is a Sullivan Dynatron which is a 24 volt starter system and a five cell lipo is going to be what something less than 19 volts? Decidedly lethargic. Any battery chemistry that is going to be less than 24 Volts is going to be disappointing for the bigger stuff and certainly not insane.

The Black an Decker makes a heck of a lot of sense for the Dynatrons and boy do they work , yes they are Nicd's and yes you need to charge them every time you go out (I would not do otherwise with any battery system). And they are reliively cheap you do not have to deal with assembly of a bunch of loose cells and if ya don't have the drill then just pick up the B&D charger or like I do use one of my two Venom Plus chargers which I charge just about everything with and are rated for 20 cells or 24 volt.

As far as hand propping of my larger engines, well no thanks although I have done it out of my wheelchair its a challenge but using my appropriate starters it is not.

Yup lots of choices! ain't that Cool

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

John, I had that same starter set up and ran a single 12 volt motorcycle battery,, it turned over my quadra 40 no problem,, full 24 volts isn't need IMHO,,

Maybe you know something I don't but the OP didn't mention he was wheelchair bound also or handicapped in anyway. Not sure why you have to find opposition with any opinion but your own, No one was talkng about your unique situation, As we all know, hand flipping these is the common procedure at fields everywhere.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM
JohnBuckner

Sorry I offended you that was certainly not intended. What I did intend to point out was that the OP was using twenty four volts and any other battey type that was less than 24 volts would definitely be a disappointment to him its that simple.

Not everyone hand starts for many reasons.

So I will refrain from posting on this thead any further thanks.

John
Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 PM
moto-x

969762 Check out this item # for sale on RCU. $127.00 ready to start up to 85cc and will start a DLE 111. You will love it, Light weight and powerfull gear reduction starter. Just search for powerfull starter. It will come up. Great guy to deal with too.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 24v Little giant 6-1 gear reduction and use two 3cell li-Po's. So far it has turned up to a 170cc four stroke and a 170cc 2 stroke.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 AM
heritageman
My Feedback: (4)

How do you keep the contacts on the starter button from sticking?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you open it up you can see where the brass gets build up from transfer at the contact point. This is from the heat/arch of electricity and causes a small amount of brass to stick to one side. The part that has stuck has been annealed so it is softer and causes the sticking, either file the transferred part back off or replace the piece altogether. I file mine off several times, before it becomes necessary because of loss of material, to replace the brass. A spot of electrical grease slows the arching down as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

John: I see you have a "home made" gear drive on your Dynatron. Just curious, "where did you get the parts/assembly etc. from" I've got a Dynatron and was looking into a Miller, but, if there are other options out there, I will certainly look into it.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
JohnBuckner

Hi Mike sorry I was late in getting back to you. Yes my starter is a home made system that was first devised by a gentleman who was intending to sell them actually many years ago now. He finally retired from modeling altogether and his original prototype was snapped up by another local flyer and when the other local said he had parts for more of them I immediately connected with him and was able to buy all the parts to put one together except the cover which I later cobbled one up.

I am sorry I know that is not what you want to hear since I cannot answer your questions as to a gear source etc or even what the actual ratio is.

John

Name:	Starters E (1).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1980936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starters E (3).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1980937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starters F.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1980938  
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

John: Thank you for breaking it down so I could see the inter workings. Really not that "technical" to what a person is trying to do. I am going to keep your response in one of my "I shall build it" favorites and work off of that. By the way, I really like your cutting mat, it shows that your "doin' your thing" aka, a lot of wear.
Thanks again.

Mike