Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Digital servo power requirements

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Digital servo power requirements

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM
flyitrite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servo power requirements

Hope someone can provide some answers here. I am building a new U CAN DO sf and will be using digital servos for the first time. I will have Savox sc1251 servos in the wings, one on the rudder and 2 Savox sc0352 on the elevator. I will use a 6.6 life pack for power . Here are my questions. I read that a typical switch can only support 3-4 amps and the 1251 servos pull 3 amp max then add the 0352 and it's about 11 - 12 max total so how do you switch this system? Even 2 switches would only be about 6 - 7 amps max. It is a smaller plane of course and built very light so I just want to run the servos through the RX. No regulator. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by flyitrite; 04-03-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: incomplete info
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll never pull max amps in flight unless you are overloading the servos or have one binding. Even then, it'll only be one at a time. Digital servos do pull their max amp rating for a split second when they start moving, but that won't be a problem. A good quality standard switch will work just fine in a plane that size.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM
flyitrite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will look at whatever good switches are available and give it a try. Seems like my current problem is the mount included with the plane is too short. Oh well, one thing at a time.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Use a switch with 20 gauge wire and you will be fine. It's more likely you would use too small a battery that would not be able to deliver enough current.