Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Applying .010 epoxy/fiberglass sheeting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Applying .010 epoxy/fiberglass sheeting

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Applying .010 epoxy/fiberglass sheeting

I purchased several sheets of .010 epoxy/glass wing skins several years ago from an outfit in CA. Unfortunately, I can't recall their name nor can I locate the instructions that accompanied them.
I DO recall that these sheets can be applied over foam cores or open wood structures, especially on jet models.

I have finally gotten back into limited building after a 4 year hiatus and being on limited funding protocols, (lol) I plan on using what supplies I still have on hand; CA and urethane glues,(Gorilla).

Can anyone that has experience with these skins please give some insight on actual application procedures? I'm specifically interested in how to mold these around curves such as wingtips and leading edges.

Many thanks in advance!

Don
Old 05-05-2014, 02:54 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Don,

If these are in fact .010" thick then they are most likely something like a single ply of 7781 cloth and whatever binder the manufacturer utilized, the application would be to abrade the bonding surface side of the sheet with something like 180 grit prior to bonding. getting the sheet to bend around a leading edge is doable by tension of tape during application, or heat, or both. Forming around lets say a round wingtip with a finished sheet of this successfully... You might find more success in seeing god!

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 05-05-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Www.fliteskin.com