Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spektrum GPS sensor question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spektrum GPS sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum GPS sensor question

Hello all. Im a little confused here and dont want to invest the money until i have the right information. Im looking to buy a Spektrum GPS sensor. One of the main reasons is I want to see airspeed. Now, Ive read in two different posts that the GPS sensor senses speed, and will give me that information on my DX8, and another post says it doesnt, and ill need another sensor to do that. who is right? I dont want to spend the $100 on a GPS unit if im not getting all the information i want. Second, if it doesnt, what sensor to i need? hoping i dont have to get too much more, i already have the temp sensor, and tach hooked up. only got one port left on my telemetry unit! Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM
jetmech05

It's not going to give you airspeed at all. The only speed that a GPS can give you is ground speed.
i have no idea if the spektrum is capable of giving you speed but if it is it'll be ground speed
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

What do you mean by ground speed?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM
jetmech05

Airspeed is the speed the aircraft is moving through the air. Ground speed is the speed that the aircraft passes over the ground. They're not the same. You see if you're flying south at 30 MPH. And have a 30 mph head wind then your airspeed is 30 mph. But your ground speed is zero.
To get airspeed on your model you'd need some kind of pitot tube and pick up.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to www.wingedshadow.com and look in there products, they have a HOW FAST system in there line up. About 45 bucks. OOPS, I went to the site using that url and it says they no longer are selling any products but when I googled them everything came up. Sorry.

Last edited by Gray Beard; 07-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.