Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ailreons

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailreons

Have a Stick and the have a servo each. This has been covered before I am sure so which is best , two plug-in on receiver or one with a "Y" harness. I guess you can fine tune the throws better if independent but I am new at this and not doing any 3-D or much more than level flight. I have a spectrum Rx and Tx so point me the way guys. gphil
Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Stick 40

When you use an extra channel for the second ail. servo, it can cause problems. You may have a problem with the switch for the extra channel causing that Ail to go off center if its bumped ON.
If your really up on your TX radio, it won't be a problem, but if your starting out it best to us a "Y" harness and just set them best you can.

sticks
Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Stick 40
When you use an extra channel for the second ail. servo, it can cause problems. You may have a problem with the switch for the extra channel causing that Ail to go off center if its bumped ON.
If your really up on your TX radio, it won't be a problem, but if your starting out it best to us a "Y" harness and just set them best you can.

sticks
most modern radios have provisions for dual aileron servos that have no effective trims other then the aileron trim. Properly done there is no danger of bumping a switch or knob messing you up. Once you have done it setting up dual aileron servos with separate channels is very easy.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
gphil

Thanks , I have the harness so to keep it simple as it is said. Got a new Tx so getting used to it also. Thanks once more. gphil
Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An advantage using two channels is that you can adjust the travel in the transmitter for the down position of each aileron surface so there is not as much drag. Using a y-harness this has to be done mechaically by positioning the servo arms more forward. Not a huge deal but it's easier with the transmitter.
Also if you wanted to program spoilerons, flaperons, or airbrakes (each lot's of fun on Sticks !!)you would need two channels.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Stick 40

Thanks for the back up, telling him the same thing is good to do.

sticks
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 AM
jetmech05

I'll never use a Y if I can use two different channels for ailerons
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would highly recommend in this situation gphil and at this stage that you start learning to utilize your new radio and use the more modern method of one channel per servo. Is it more difficult well not quite and that whole thing about dangerous if a switch is turning off is only the result of someone that does not know how to use their radio.

Also perhaps even more important is this notion that you can just make all your adjustments in the transmitter! Well that is just bogus using two channels and two servos per aileron absolutely requires the same mechanical setup (pushrods) and adjustment first before ever touching the tx adjustments. If you do not then you will endup with excessive electronic reductions and possibly excessive expotentials, resulting in loss of servo resolution around neutral and that translates to a bad flying airplane and an undeserved reputation as a bad airplane.

Is there a viable reason to us prefer to use what you call a Y with certain types of airplanes? Oh you betcha, anytime ease of airplane assembly is required using the Y menhod is an asset. This is especially important with many types of pylon racing where the wings have to removed often quickly in a rush and reassembled for tech purposes at an event. Also for instance night flyers with lots of extra plugs to be delt with, often in the dark and cold holding flashlights or cross country airplanes maybe even assembly in a rolling boat or difficult conditions on the side a road. All these airplanes an even more will benefit from eliminating that extra plug even though you may still use two airleron servos.

The choice to Y or not is depends entirely up to you as long as you remember that either method can be adjusted just as well and either method is just about as easy to set up. Not not knowing how to use the transmitter is not an excuse to base a choice on. So dude learn how to do it now on this airplane.

John
Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 AM
gphil

Thanks John for the good writing. All is appreciated. . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gphil
Have a Stick and the have a servo each. This has been covered before I am sure so which is best , two plug-in on receiver or one with a "Y" harness. I guess you can fine tune the throws better if independent but I am new at this and not doing any 3-D or much more than level flight. I have a spectrum Rx and Tx so point me the way guys. gphil
You neglected to tell us the model of your TX and RX other than Spectrum.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I also Prefer the one servo per channel, if for nothing else, ease of adjustment for each individual aileron.. I have never had an issue of hitting a switch, and having one of the servos doing something that wasn't expected! With most transmitters (That I know of!) , once you slave a second channel to the aileron channel, no external switch should change that, unless programmed to do so!

Craig.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM
CafeenMan

I recommend plugging each servo into its own channel. It's pretty simple and if you can't figure it out someone can help you. It's definitely worth it and then you can have everything that's already mentioned.

I have a stik that tends to float on landing so I set up the ailerons with reflex (both go up) with helps the plane settle in. But as flaps it can help you land slower (but will also make a stall nastier so be aware).
Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
gphil

My trans is a new DX-6i The receiver is one that came with it has 6 channels I think without looking. All say what they are with only one saying aileron so guess would have to use a aux space or something if utilizing two for the controls......
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=CafeenMan;11865825
I have a stik that tends to float on landing so I set up the ailerons with reflex (both go up) with helps the plane settle in. But as flaps it can help you land slower (but will also make a stall nastier so be aware).[/QUOTE]

Indeed and cafeenMan points out one of the many things you can do with a modern radio capable of various electronic mixes. Flaps or more often flaperons are the first thing the fellows can,t wait to try, but more often than not just end up breaking the airplane. However rigging them as he described as spoilerons makes short approachs and landing a little faster airplane on short runways much easier. I have a Seniorita that I use as an aerotowed glider and the reflexing strip ailerons I added helps when she tends to overclimb the tow plane during tow.

Another fun mix that may be on your radio when using two aileron servos is called elevator to flap mix this is not the flap to elevator mix that most folks think of. That one is just to correct pitch trim when flaps are lowered for landing. However the elevator to flap mix is something entirely different and great fun to experiment with on most stick types. what this mix does and best done through a switch to allow switching off and on in flight, is provide much tighter loops both inside and outside or at much slower airspeeds that normally required. This is a fun one.

I wont even attempt a step by step for any of this as I do not do spectrum and these days use mostly Hitec with a pinch of Fuitaba.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-22-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

Pages 22 and 23 in the manual cover all that is needed. If the OP does not have a manual one can be downloaded from the Horizon site.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Stick 40

Default flaperons

I am opposed to using ail. for flaps.

I have done it on a couple of planes and it did not go well. For one thing when they are down, do they function well as an ail. I don't think they do . An Ail. works the best going up and you don't want as much down. Flaps need to be separate and inboard on the wing.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Stick 40
I am opposed to using ail. for flaps.

I have done it on a couple of planes and it did not go well. For one thing when they are down, do they function well as an ail. I don't think they do . An Ail. works the best going up and you don't want as much down. Flaps need to be separate and inboard on the wing.
I agree and CafeenMan hit on this earlier. Raising the ailerons and using them as spoilerons works fairly well but using ailerons as flapperons is a tip stall waiting to bite.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Makes little sense to buy a good radio and not use the functions it provides. I use two short extensions on the RX and it's as quick as plugging into a Y. I still adjust all the controls mechanically and if I'm off a tad then sub trim makes it easy to make small adjustments as needed. Before the days of computer radios and all I had were 4 channels the Y was a great way to do things.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 AM
jetmech05

Do you still watch a black and white tv?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:15 AM
speedracerntrixie

No but every once in a while my wife and I cuddle up and watch an old B/W movie. I do occasionally break out a 3 channel airplane and have fun with it lol.

That being said I see lots of guys who just don't realize how much better their airplanes would fly of the ailerons were set up correctly. Imagine how much more difficult your airplane is to fly if on landing you need an aileron input to level the wings and with that aileron you get a pitch up and slight yaw opposite of your bank. With the ailerons throws matched and correct amount of differential this does not happen. Yes it can be achieved through several hours of mechanical adjustments or you can get it close mechanically and then dial,it in with the TX in a couple min.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by jetmech05
Do you still watch a black and white tv?
Just yesterday as a mater of fact. I watched a couple episodes of the Munsters.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
flyinwalenda

Me TV
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Me TV
Yep, that too, sometimes.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 PM
flyinwalenda

I gave up on TV 10 years ago but Me TV is a good channel
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
"Speed" is right!
just because a radio is capable of a lot of mixes doesn´t mean the airplane benefits from it! You still have to mechanicly trim your plane to have it flying properly.
Y-cable is simple and so is mixing so pick what ever works best,but flaps is best used inboard and ailerons outboard ...used separatly.