Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What type of aluminum?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What type of aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:15 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sensei
Those look great speed, I also have an aluminum set I hope to send Robert next week.

Bob
I hope so too.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now I understand your need, you need to joggle a thin piece of material; I would most defiantly use 6061-O condition. How thick is the material you wish to joggle and how much joggle do you desire? With that information we can move forward.

Bob
You'll want to reinforce zero temper aluminum since it is very soft and any non-supported areas could sag over time. Soda pop cans are typically made from a AA 3004 or 3104, which is aluminum containing manganese and some magnesium. The 3XXX alloys are not heat treatable, and have excellent formability and corrosion resistance.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by MinnSpin
You'll want to reinforce zero temper aluminum since it is very soft and any non-supported areas could sag over time. Soda pop cans are typically made from a AA 3004 or 3104, which is aluminum containing manganese and some magnesium. The 3XXX alloys are not heat treatable, and have excellent formability and corrosion resistance.
Imagine a character sitting in front of a laptop scratching his head and thinking "What the _-_-". That's me after reading that post.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are your parts buddy, we wound up manufacturing them from .025" thick 6061-T6 because that is what is in stock at the moment. They are both light and rigid in this configuration and should work well for you should you decide to use them. I provided the shop floor with a drawing and posted bend data to the CNC brake press to make things simple, I also went ahead and had the guys run two of them 20" long because I figure you may be able to use them on another project down the line and it is literally only another minute to bend a second piece while setup. All I need is a PM with your address and I will get them shipped out to you next week and provide you with a tracking number.

Merry Christmas Robert,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2054559   Click image for larger version

Name:	part 5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2054560   Click image for larger version

Name:	part 3.jpg
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2054561   Click image for larger version

Name:	part 2.jpg
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2054562  

Last edited by sensei; 12-13-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM
acerc

Fantastic, and don't worry, they will get used. I need a set for my current build and have two more in the works, another S1-S and a Challenger II. Yes, I love Pitts!!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:07 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Robert, your parts are done, PM an address and I will get them on the way.
Here are your parts buddy, we wound up manufacturing them from .025" thick 6061-T6 because that is what is in stock at the moment. They are both light and rigid in this configuration and should work well for you should you decide to use them. I provided the shop floor with a drawing and posted bend data to the CNC brake press to make things simple, I also went ahead and had the guys run two of them 20" long because I figure you may be able to use them on another project down the line and it is literally only another minute to bend a second piece while setup. All I need is a PM with your address and I will get them shipped out to you next week and provide you with a tracking number.

Merry Christmas Robert,

Bob
These are two exceptional people and a good example of those "who know" helping and sharing. Thank you to both of you, I will put all of them to good use. I will also add you guys to the list on my poster of contributors of the build, that is if you don't mind.

Merry Christmas and God bless!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 AM
dadragon

I use rolled roofing alum on all my frame work.lowes or home depot
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 AM
acerc

If your talking of the rolled aluminum flashing, so do I. But it is not sufficient for this application, these frame rail mounts are structural in that they hold the canopy on the roller slides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	176 - Copy.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	2054574  
Old 12-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sensei, normally, I look at titles as just that, a title. I've found that many people that hold a title are hired by a company due to the piece of paper they hang on the wall that says they know something. Where I work, there are many people that are "managers" that have no background or knowledge in the industry and they were hired just due to that piece of paper saying they finished a few years in school, regardless of what the field they studied was. It's really bad when someone with no experience comes into a shop as a manager and starts throwing his title around to show his authority over those that know what they're doing and have decades on the job.

I'm surprised that some say not to use 6061-T6. Many of the parts used in the construction of full sized and scale hydroplanes are made of 6061 due to it's machining characteristics and strength over other types of aluminum.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-13-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:06 PM
sensei

Hydro Junkie,

Well you can rest assured, I did not get my title that way, I actually came up through the school of hard knocks and a million dollar education shoved up my ***** a nickels worth at a time over the last 4 decades.

You stated: I'm surprised that some say not to use 6061-T6. Many of the parts used in the construction of full sized and scale hydroplanes are made of 6061 due to its machining characteristics and strength over other types of aluminum.

Probably the main reasons for the use of 6061-T6 is the cost is by far much cheaper compared to 2024-T3 or 7075-T6, 6061-T6 possesses a little better corrosion resistance over 2024-T3 and 7075-T6, and finally 6061-T6 can be welded, the others cannot.

For the record, I never stated that 6061-T6 cannot be machined, I stated it just doesn't machine as well as the other materials I listed due to its softer and gummier nature. Finally your assumption of 6061-T6 being a stronger alloy over the other alloys I mentioned earlier in this thread is just that, an assumption only. The truth is 2024-T3 is notably stronger than 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 is way over the top in terms of strength compared to 6061-T6. These are the facts, they are not mine but still the facts.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-15-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 PM
sensei

Originally Posted by acerc
These are two exceptional people and a good example of those "who know" helping and sharing. Thank you to both of you, I will put all of them to good use. I will also add you guys to the list on my poster of contributors of the build, that is if you don't mind.

Merry Christmas and God bless!
I Don't mind at all.

Bob
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 AM
sensei

Hello Robert,

They are packaged up and ready for UPS pickup and ground delivery to your home, I will PM you the tracking number in hopefully just a few minutes or as soon as I get it from our shipping department. FYI the tracking number may not work until after the pickup scan this evening.

Talk to you later,

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-15-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM
acerc

Got it, thank you very much!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM
toolmaker7341

sensi My ego is in check is yours
Old 12-15-2014, 01:29 PM
toolmaker7341

guess not

M & M Precision

[h=3]Main Navigation[/h]

[h=1]About Us[/h]

M & M Precision was started in 1996 as a part time venture, by owners Mike & Marcia Burg. Mike has over 40 years experience as a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker/Manufacturing Engineer. In 2004, Mike decided to expand from a part time venture to full time. Midway through 2005, Mike purchased the company's first CNC machining center, a used 1988 Millport. Through the help of his friend, who had many years fixing and maintaining CNC equipment, they were able to get it up and running. It was at this time Mike brought on his son, Jeff, who is also a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker, as a consultant. Mike & Jeff went to IMTS, for the first time, in 2006 to purchase a new Fadal 4020. The business was doing well and they were able to keep both spindles constantly running. In 2008, Mike and Jeff once again attended IMTS, with a radical idea. They wanted to separate themselves from the pack and purchased a Johnford DMC-3100SH twin column machining center. The economical downturn of 2008-2009 was tough for a lot of shops, but M & M was able to stay extremely busy and have the best year for gross sales up to that point. M & M has continued to grow and purchase new equipment and their sales have grown exponentially.

Plans are completed for putting in a large horizontal boring mill with travels of 197" x 118". The machine is up and running now.

M & M's current success is due, in part, to their great work ethic, old school personalized customer service, and a great team of employees who always get the jobs done with customer satisfaction in mind.

For more information, send us a request on our Contact Us page, or call 716-434-6525
General questions: [email protected]
Contact Mike:
[email protected]
Contact Jeff: [email protected]
Accounting: [email protected]

Javascript must be enabled to view the Photo Album on this page.

We are a one stop shop for all your machining & fabrication needs!
Call us today to reserve
machine time.

Content copyright 2014. MANDMPRECISION.COM. All rights reserved.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
sensi My ego is in check
Does not look that way.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

This reminds me of my Wife's last birthday party. While exiting the restaurant a huge Ford F-350 pulls up to the front door. This thing was raised, big wheels and tires, lots of graphics and loud. My sister looks at the driver and shouts " NICE TRUCK!, sorry about your p***s"
Old 12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
acerc

ROTFLMAO. Yep!!!! NO EGO'S HERE!!LOL...
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 PM
sensei

I love this... It really got under your skin that we were actually able to help a fellow modeler out in the real world using know aerospace processess and materials. I must be honest with you, I expected more than this from you and your NY buddy. Anyway what is that large what appears to be S/S structure from the color of the metal and welds? It doesn't look like it can fly. Oh well...

Bob
Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 PM
acerc

And help you two did. Both sets are fantastic and will make for an easier finish job on the canopy. I would post some pics but I am at home and don't have my camera. Next trip to the shop I will post on my thread for those interested in seeing them. Again, thank you to Sensei and Speedracerntrixie, very much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:48 PM
toolmaker7341

I love this... It really got under your skin that we were actually able to help a fellow modeler out in the real world using know aerospace processess and materials. I must be honest with you, I expected more than this from you and your NY buddy. Anyway what is that large what appears to be S/S structure from the color of the metal and welds? It doesn't look like it can fly. Oh well...

Bob
Well Bob your the one who flaunted your VP and head designer status and all I said was you didn't know who I was and what my company did. You posted pictures of some shop where is your website? We work on aerospace projects but I'm not allowed to disclose what it is We also work on government nuclear projects but that is also classified. That big stainless box that doesn't fly is a freeze-drying chamber that runs @ 100" vacuum and -270 F so the next time you open your aerospace VP mouth and put someone down realize that there are a lot of smarter people in this world than you. I'm done because no one will measure up to your perceived status.

Last edited by toolmaker7341; 12-19-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 PM
toolmaker7341

Sorry Robert to you I apologize I'm glad at least you got what you needed for your Pitts
Old 12-19-2014, 08:29 PM
speedracerntrixie

I must be confused. Isn't vacuum simply removing atmospheric pressure? If it is then to the best of my knowledge the best one can accomplish is about 30" at sea level and it decreases the higher your altitude. Unless it's some sort of autoclave and then it works on pressure.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by acerc
And help you two did. Both sets are fantastic and will make for an easier finish job on the canopy. I would post some pics but I am at home and don't have my camera. Next trip to the shop I will post on my thread for those interested in seeing them. Again, thank you to Sensei and Speedracerntrixie, very much appreciated.

So, if I find myself in Fl. Then Imget a flight right? LOL glad you like the parts, it was fun coming up with an easy way to make them. In all I had about an hour into them. BTW, the resin system I used is Tap Plastics Marine grade with medium hardener. I actually like it better then West Systems. The cure time was only 2 hours at 125 degrees and it makes for a fairly stiff part.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
toolmaker7341

30" of mercury is a pressure rating vacuum is different. 100" of vacuum is almost perfect space vacuum and is as close to space as you can get on earth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.