Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking for a spinner

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:26 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is an example of someone doing everything right and no of course not you will have not burn however when someone new to spinner use and in particular inverted araingements most folks will sooner or later will burn a plastic spinner Now as for myself I have no such problem since for many years now when I choose to use a spinner it will be an all alum type and my favorite types which are still avalible are either the Dave Brown Vortech's or the Tru Turn's. I keep an ample supply for my needs most of the time.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141227_031638[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2058015  
Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Yes indeed if a starter is carelessly applied to a hydralicallly locked engine the insert material will make no difference. I use nothing but silicon inserts but they are not fool proof.

John
John,, most guys don't use as good a batteries as you do

Actually, I've burned a few over the years,, you soon learn to clear out the engine before applying the glow and starter.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 AM
JohnBuckner

I believe its best to inform folks of all the down sides when they are making decisions to go cheap as possible concerning spinners and yes those cheezy cheap but pretty plastic spinners have some severe down sides. The biggest problem of all for the all plastic types is deformation of the back plate when tightening both the crankshaft nut but also the two or four cap screws (two blade).

John
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM
sideoftheroad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
The biggest problem of all for the all plastic types is deformation of the back plate when tightening both the crankshaft nut but also the two or four cap screws (two blade).

John
I wonder why this is so hard to find the larger all nylon spinners and they went to the ones with the different backplate.

Last edited by sideoftheroad; 12-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 AM
sideoftheroad

Originally Posted by drac1
What colour insert are you using?
Not sure if it was meant for me but I have one white one for the medium sized spinners and a red one for smaller sized ones. This is what was available at the hobby shop.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 AM
sideoftheroad

The black rings that you are taking about is the reason why I started this post. I ruined the one that came with the plane I have.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sideoftheroad
The black rings that you are taking about is the reason why I started this post. I ruined the one that came with the plane I have.
The white inserts seem to be softer. I use the Magnum white cone shaped one.

I use this insert on all my models from a 1 1/2" nylon spinner to 4 1/2" aluminium which includes carbon fibre as well. Never marked a spinner yet.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM
sideoftheroad

The white inserts seem to be softer. I use the Magnum white cone shaped one.

I use this insert on all my models from a 1 1/2" nylon spinner to 4 1/2" aluminium which includes carbon fibre as well. Never marked a spinner yet.
Probably why I have issues using the electric starter. I can never seem to get enough grip on the spinner so I have to press in harder which in turn causes the rings. Do you have any links to the magnum insert?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by sideoftheroad
Probably why I have issues using the electric starter. I can never seem to get enough grip on the spinner so I have to press in harder which in turn causes the rings. Do you have any links to the magnum insert?
No links for the Magnum. I get mine from my LHS here in Aus.

Sullivan have one that is very similar. http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Star...sMainFrame.htm It's the white one about 4 down on the right hand side. I just ordered one tonight on Ebay.

You can see the cone shape in the insert. That's why they grip so well.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:06 PM
JohnBuckner

sideoftheroad for the best type of insert the link that Drac provided is far better that anything else above. The Key word you should look for in the purchase of starter insert is silicon. If it only says rubber then those are the cheap ones and most likely to cause problems. They are around a third of the price of a good silicon type. A silicon insert is no assurance aginst a carelessly applied starter to a plastic spinner on a hydrolocked engine.

The top one listed in that Sullivan link is a rubber type and the type to be avoided but the second and subsequent few are the good ones.

John
Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I didn't know CB still made spinners, I had a big box of them and have been using them for years but finally ran out of them. With gas engines I hand flip so getting a mark isn't a problem but I used a white CB on several of my glow engines, same spinner, different engines. I didn't mark it but I sure melted a nice groove in it. The Kaos didn't care about it though so I kept using it. I would have never looked up MECOA either, it's not a go to company so I never think about them.
That's another reason for this site, it's reminds us of places we forgot existed these days.
I'm glad CB is still around, time to stock up on spinners again. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:11 PM
sideoftheroad

No links for the Magnum. I get mine from my LHS here in Aus.

Sullivan have one that is very similar. http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Star...sMainFrame.htm It's the white one about 4 down on the right hand side. I just ordered one tonight on Ebay.

You can see the cone shape in the insert. That's why they grip so well.
I recently bought the white one (4th one down) to replace the one they came with the starter I have and also have the red one (5th down).

Do you guys find it harder at first to use them to start new engines and easier once it is broken in or no difference?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 PM
drac1

Naturally a new engine is harder to turn over, but as long as I get a reasonable amount of pressure on the spinner, I find it's not too much different.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

No problem GB