Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

air intake to carbs????????????????????????????????????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

air intake to carbs????????????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question air intake to carbs????????????????????????????????????

i was wondering if our carbs get the rite amount of air...gas and nitro....seems to me the air passes over the intakes........wonder what would happen if say a scoop was used to get more air into the card.............thats your thoughts?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that you are over-thinking it. Maybe you would benefit from reading about engines in general, the vacuum forces generated, the venturi effect at the carburetor and other factors.

Rafael
Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 AM
handyman

i dont think the word over thinking works.if that was the case we would still be in the stone age.......just my thought mind you
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
jetmech05

Why mess with something that works? Unless of course you're having power issues.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:46 AM
handyman

not haveing problem..was just thinging of maybe a better way to get more power.....
Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never seen a problem with a glow engine but have seen cowls and wind flow effect gas engines. The trick there is simply to open the cowl more for intake. You can also buy a velocity stack for a gas engine if you want one. I have seen air flow effect the pump/diaphragm on a gas engine during my racing days. The trick there is just to remove the top plate with the hole in it and solder on a curved piece of tubing and run a hose off of it going into the fuse. A lot of old racers do that. I have it done on my Brison from when I was having a tuning problem and was looking for an answer. As for added power???? I have never checked to see if the stack did anything or not.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:54 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handyman
not haveing problem..was just thinging of maybe a better way to get more power.....
Are we talking nitro engine or gas engine? Big difference between the two. The similarity is that they work better with air at a lower pressure near the carb so the venturi effect can work properly. Did you do any reading about this?

Of course, on a nitro engine, you can get more power by changing nitro content of the fuel. Not much you could do to a gas engine other than changing the size of the prop.

Rafael
Old 03-06-2015, 06:17 AM
jetmech05

Mixture is mixture more air equals leaner hotter burn. If if tune to max power at the high end you have all the air you need.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is always a good idea to try something, and check it with a tach, and then do a flight test too. A longer extension may tune the intake right, or get the flow into undisturbed air. Maybe just keeping the droplets from spilling out to get better mileage even. I did this for a different reason, and another one with a lip over the top to keep the air aimed better. (no pic of that one, I would have to find it.) A piece of tubing over the intake at different lengths may be something to try. Use a tach to check each length........... If you are going less than 100 mph, it may not make any difference, but again, experiment, and of course share the results, so we don't have to invest/waste our time. (Oh sorry was that out loud?)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fora and Axial 004.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2079236