Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

G62 Propping

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default G62 Propping

I've recently acquired a plane with a G62 on it. Pretty good condition so no need to take it off, save greasing the spring. It seems that it is missing two little bolts from the drive hub, where the back of the prop would sit. I've read many forums where people have different views on whether or not these are important. I for one figure that since it was designed that way, I'm going to use them if I can.

Does anyone know what kind of bolts/screws go in there? I combed the manual and there;s little-to-no info on this. In the meantime I'm going to try to figure out the thread and diameter, but I figure I would check to see if anyone else had run into this or knows what should go into these little holes...
Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly, they are like little allen head set screws. Since the G62 has a single center bolt to hold the prop on, the screws engage small holes in the back of the prop hub and keep the prop from slipping.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:03 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I know what kind of thing is supposed to go there, and how it works, but again, I'm wondering if anyone knows the size and thread of the bolts that stick into the prop. I've got some pretty good guesses after using gauges, I just figured I'm not the only one who's dealt with this, figured someone might know exactly what I need here.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not bolts, but pressed in studs. They only go into the back of the propellers about half way. We remove them because they can cause the prop to split. Many, many hours running G-62s without the studs.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/z445-gt80-pin-zen0402500312

Last edited by Steve Percifield; 05-31-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Steve showed you, they are just roll pins but over the years I have seen a lot of people use a jig and drill and tap more prop holes for one reason or another? I just used the single nut and washer. Just make sure you give the nut a bit of a twist before starting the engine the first time of the day. The wood props compress and loosen up a lot when new.