Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

saito fa50 with missing rocker cover ? can I still fly with it?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

saito fa50 with missing rocker cover ? can I still fly with it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 AM
rcworld2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito fa50 with missing rocker cover ? can I still fly with it?

Ok i picked up a older plane e with a saito fa50 that's missing the rocker cover and I'm have a hell of a time finding one. Is it ok to fly plane with out it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I think it would loose lubrication? I think some of the other small Saitos of that vintage may fit? 40-45 ??? There are a lot around.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:44 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Original 4 strokes had exposed rocker arms. It will spray a little fuel/oil, but not enough to matter. It will run the same with or without the cover. I rum them exposed for exposed for break in to make sure all the wiggly parts get lubed.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have machined off the covers so it will look better in a vintage plane. You have to lubricate the rockers a bit as they will not self lubricate.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an OS .72 four stroke, ten-plus years old. The original owner cut holes in the cover, right over the rockers. Why, I don't know, and he's not here to ask. It worried me some, but it's been fine. Not the same engine as yours, of course.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I have an OS .72 four stroke, ten-plus years old. The original owner cut holes in the cover, right over the rockers. Why, I don't know, and he's not here to ask. It worried me some, but it's been fine. Not the same engine as yours, of course.
He did that because there has always been a scare that not enough lubrication gets up to the rocker arms. So guys will do that so they can oil the rockers. Others pack the valve cover with grease. I have never found the need for either.