Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tx batteries

Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
billinpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx batteries

What kind of batteries do you use in your 2.4G transmitters? I ordered a new Tactic 20 memory 6ch and want to get off on the right foot. FWIW I wouldn't use Harbor Freight double A's for anything other than an electric toothbrush, junk.
Thank you.

Bill in Pa.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Eneloops in mine and that works out very well. I'd say that any LSD (low self discharge) NiMh should be good to use as now several manufacturers make a decent LSD cell.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:46 AM
KW_Counter

I've been happily using a Hobby King LiIon for a few years.
Don't need to charge it very often.
When I do charge it I remove it from the Xmtr for ease.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 06-14-2015, 05:23 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Eneloops work well for me too. I still use NiCds in one of my transmitters. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with NiCds. I charge them up the night before with a wall wart. Very simple. No fuss, very reliable, really no down side.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Rodney

Yes, the low self discharge NiMh's such as the Eneloops are IMHO much better than using LiPo in your transmitter as they hold a charge as well as LiPo's do yet you can charge them in place and with the simple wall wart chargers with no danger of fire or smoke and no damage if you forget and leave them on charge to long (assuming you are using the wall warts with a charge rate of 0.1C or less). Also more economical.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed with JPMagG, NiCds are still as good as they ever were. Nothing is more durable. NiMh are cheaper and lighter. I see little reason to use a Lipo unless the radio was designed for it. LiFe batteries are an option if you need a lot of capacity and want low self-discharge, but they do require a special charger like Lipos do.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 AM
raptureboy

Lipos and life's charge them forget them, Ready to fly when you are.