Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

muffler ext.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:55 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default muffler ext.

anybody have good way of keeping these silicone extentions from slipping off the muffler end. You would think that the manufacturer would have some sort of flange or something to cure this ongoing problem. zip ties just don't work at all.....I contacted OS about this issue with a suggestion on this subject.....waiting for a reesponce

thanks all TAZZZZ
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take a ball end dremel cutter that is about 1/4" diameter, and make a groove on the end of the muffler. A barb would be better. I have to file a bit to get right in close , and make a neat job. The tie wrap is not grabbing on a positive taper that way. On some mufflers, I have turned the barb on a lathe, but most tailpieces don't allow this because of the shape. Some guys drill and tap for a small round head screw and it keeps the tubing from slipping off.

Last edited by aspeed; 06-25-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Clean the exhaust tip really well with acetone, then put a bead of JB Weld at the very end to make a barb. You'll never lose another deflector that way.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of using the nylon tie wraps, I use a wrap of .025" aircraft stainless steel safety wire to secure the extension. Loop the safety wire around the extension twice and twist it till snug with your safety wire twister pliers, cut off the excess and bend the end back over itself so it doesn't become a "weapon" just as you would if you were safety wiring nuts and bolts. Mine don't fall off with this method.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a lip with the JB Weld and it cured the problem.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a small screw type hose clamp from an automotive store. Never lost another one.

Dave
Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I drill through the muffler and exhaust tube and put a small cotter pin through them. I have done this on two engines and the deflectors hold up very well.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:07 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run wire through a hole, much like a cotter pin, and found that it tears the silicon. Twist ties and a barb of some sort seem to work well for me. If you have a muffler that comes apart, then maybe a wire going through that doubles as a safety tether may be good. (combat flyers, or float flyers)
Old 06-30-2015, 05:43 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

You can make a simple barb by just drill and tap the end of the muffler and screw in a small round head screw. Then when you put on the tie wrap it won't slip off.