Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

control surfaces switch direction

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

control surfaces switch direction

Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control surfaces switch direction

I have a elect Telemaster, its about a 50 size if it were glow. Its a great plane and I have been flying it on the same radio for about 5 years.

I have never changed channels, its on a JR 9303X 2.4. I have had the radio for 8 years and have never had a problem with it.

But the other morning I tried to take of and it wanted to nose over, after looking at the elev and rudder. They were reversed, every thing else was correct.

I had flown it the week before , about 4 flights and it was fine. This is the first time I can remember this happening on any 2.4 plane I have had.

thanks

sticks
Old 07-31-2015, 03:07 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I just could be, the RX did not rebind to the TX, a wild guess, but you should do a range test every time before you fly. If something is wrong, right there is the time to correct it.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Were you programming/making changes to a model location next to that one? Maybe you changed it without knowing you were on a different model.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:19 AM
jetmech05

I've heard of this here in the forums. I've never seen it myself. I would suggest a good hard look at the transmitter. Futaba has a screen where you can check throws and direction.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been having similar issues with my 10cag, has happened on multiple airplanes so it has to be the TX.
Sucks when you spend this kinda money for a "good" radio and have no confidence in it.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 AM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has happened to me twice with my Futaba 8 and in both instances it was the elevator that was reversed, but luckily my routine control surfaces checks before each flying session showed it up. Since then I never take for granted that everything is the same since the last flying session.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:52 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of years ago I lost a 1/4 scale biplane to a servo that seemed to reverse itself with a Futaba 7UAF. Everything was set and checked out, the plane had plenty of flights on it, correct model was selected, I was ready. Unfortunately, I had numerous interruptions at the field while prepping for the day's flying and omitted a step in my preflight. I didn't check that each throw was correct.

I took off with ailerons reversed. You know the results. Quick roll into the asphalt runway meant the end of the aircraft. I was in shock. After checking everything over I found that the ailerons were reversed. But it had been correct yesterday! Then I remembered that I had gone into programming mode the night before to tweak something. While doing that, I had gotten lost in the menu system. I remembered struggling to find what I wanted. Obviously, I accidently reversed a servo while in programming mode and it caused the loss of the plane.

I talked about it here on RCU and most folks said what caused the crash was the incomplete preflight. While that is a contributing cause, it's not the root cause. The root cause was that I accidently reversed the servo while in programming mode. How to learn from this?

Nobody is perfect. Saying do a perfect preflight every time isn't how you learn from something like this. There will always be the one time you slip up in your usual preflight. The secret is to try to ensure those rare slipups don't sink ships. My answer was that every time I switch a transmitter into programming mode, I suspect that I may have done something wrong. As soon as I take it out of programming mode, I do a quick check of all surface throws.

It might not be what caused your problem, but it's a good practice. Like Flyinwalenda said, you can do it accidently. Think hard about if you went into programming mode since the previous flight. Luckily, you caught it before it cost you an airplane.

I am good at doing a full preflight every day. But one lapse in concentration cost me dearly. Now I double check things when I exit programming.

Dave
Old 08-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good question for Tony at Radio South. A why question when asking about a radio problem is best asked of a professional. I haven't had the problem with my old Futaba 9-C but I have had problems like it with my old Hitec 7. That radio acted like it was programming itself over night. I call it Christine. Still have the radio but only use it once in a while as a buddy box.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:33 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you absolutely sure the transmitter was set for the correct plane?, and didn't default to another plane assignment?.. I'm not sure if the 9303 has the "model match" feature or not, this is all speculative suggestion. Good luck with it.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:24 PM
rgburrill

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

In World War II they were called gremlins. Little critters did nasty things to airplanes.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Stick 40

The tx is a JR 9303X 2.4, and I bought it 8 years ago. I have never had a problem with this TX and its the only one I have used up till now. I have a DX6 and am moving to it, as the JR 9303 was not working as well with AS3x.

The elect plane is one I have been flying for 5 years with a lot of flights on it. There were no other planes on or in the air, I had flown this plane the week before for about 4 flights.

I have not programed on the JR 9303 as I don't use it for much anymore , I use the DX6 mostly.

I am putting the plane on the DX6 and am thinking of retiring the JR, its given me 8 good years and that is not a real problem for me.

I guess the biggest thing , is I need to start doing the preflight all the time. I was lucky it was elev and rudder. I may have saved it with rudder if it were Ail.

thanks for the reply's.

I will get with JR and ask the question there, that was good advice.

Sticks
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess the biggest thing , is I need to start doing the preflight all the time
Yes,, I check controls direction every time as I taxi out,, it's a good habit to be in.

good luck
Old 08-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Stick 40

I should add that I plan to replace the JR 9303 with a DX9 Black. I will then use the Dx6 for wireless with the grand sons!