Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

installing 2.4 RX

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

installing 2.4 RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:12 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question installing 2.4 RX

I'm putting together a Sig kadet senior sport. This my first endeavor with a 2.4. Does anyone by chance have one mounted in a kadet senior and maybe some pics to offer. Just want to make sure I get it right. Just a little nervous about is all.

THX a million TAZZZZ
Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 AM
suburban95
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tazzzz
It depends on whose radio you are using. Futaba with only one receiver, Hitec, Airtronics, etc or JR/Spektrum with one or more remote receivers. JR/Spektrum with remote receivers you want antenna diversity, meaning as far apart as possible and with the antenna 90 deg. apart. If the main receiver in layin down in the bottom of the Fuse with the antenna's facing nose to tail then the remote should be mounted vertically with the antenna's facing up and down. This gives the best receiver diversity.

I will let someone more familiar with the other brands talk about them.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

With Futaba you just want to try to place the antenna perpendicular to each other, not on parallel lines,, very simple, can place anywhere in the plane that is convenient and away from high heat

good luck
Old 03-17-2016, 06:58 AM
jetmech05

I use Futaba. What I have done is mounted my receiver behind the wing tube.(large scale)
Anyway I use a small piece of coffee steerer glued to the wood and insert one antenna in the steerer after the glue has dried. This holds the antenna in place. Then I drilled a hole through the wood and glued a second piece of steerer through the hole, inserted the antenna.
Bottom line I have one antenna parallel to the deck the other is pointed straight down 90deg
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I do for a Futaba receiver. Dan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2412.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2152944  
Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 AM
tazzzz

I have a JR spectrum receiver with 1 remote. Is it ok to mount the main receiver between the engine and the servos , mounting the the RX onto the floor by the battery, or will that cause some kind of interference?

kindly TAZZZZ
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by tazzzz
I have a JR spectrum receiver with 1 remote. Is it ok to mount the main receiver between the engine and the servos , mounting the the RX onto the floor by the battery, or will that cause some kind of interference?

kindly TAZZZZ
I mount the reciever that way all the time. Usually the easiest place I can find. Even put the remote right by the servos. never had a problem. Mac
Old 03-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't put it under the fuel tank, if that's where you're thinking. I know most of the Kadet instructions don't say where to put the receiver but the worst place is under the tank. If the tank leaks, your receiver would be fuel soaked before long and your plane would be wandering off on it's own soon after
Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM
macdona

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I wouldn't put it under the fuel tank, if that's where you're thinking. I know most of the Kadet instructions don't say where to put the receiver but the worst place is under the tank. If the tank leaks, your receiver would be fuel soaked before long and your plane would be wandering off on it's own soon after
I kinda figured every one had brains enough to keep it away from the fuel tank. Mac
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by macdona
I kinda figured every one had brains enough to keep it away from the fuel tank. Mac
You have to remember, not everyone thinks about how locations can have adverse results. Beginning builders, trying to balance their new plane, might not think about a fuel leak or how that could affect a receiver directly under the tank. IIRC, it's stated in the Kadet Jr instructions to put the receiver's battery pack under the tank to aid in balancing.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:41 AM
ron ward

any plane of orientation is fine just make sure the two antennae are as far apart as possible, at right angles to each other and the uncovered parts are held straight. I generally use empty pall point pen tubes and glue them to the edges of the main wing opening on the fuselage. one on the side of the fuselage and one on the front or aft bulkhead depending on where the rx is mounted. I've mounted them in the tank compartment under the hatch cover also, with no problems. personally,.....i think this is one of those things that can easily be over-thought and over-complicated.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 AM
ron ward

I would think, obviously that it's not too good to mount it in a place that would directly expose it to a fuel leak but it can be put in a baggy, if there is no other place for it.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Stick 40

I have a JR 9303x 2.4 and have been using the RX's for 8 years and have had no problems.

I put the RX back as away from anything, servos, battery, engine, wiring. These units are line of sight, if anything is in the way , it will cut the reception down and that goes for all systems.

I like the RX and satellite extra ant. and I put them on each side of the fuse if possible. like said before with the two RX units the little ant. sticking out of them should point in different directions. In other words if the main one with the two little ant. are Horz. the other one on the other side of the fuse should be pointed vert.

if you don't have the two just put it in the back away from all elect and metal.

one more think, the 2.4 RX units don't like heat. So when your out to the field flying try and keep the plane in the shade.

they won't get a signal thru. carbon fiber.

good luck, I know its new and a learning curve is there. glad your asking question.

sticks
Old 03-23-2016, 05:44 AM
ron ward

basically don't treat them any differently than an old school receiver with the addition of the antenna orientation that must be complied to. I just built a S.P.A.D. copy of the Kadet ( "Spadet", from the Spad to the Bone site) and suspended the receiver with a rubber band across the wing saddles.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM
tazzzz

I have the main RX up off the floor about 2" and 5" away from the fuel tank , the antennas are going crossways in the fuse,,,,and the remote is mounted high on the side of the fuse with the antennas going lengthwise. Does that sound like it will be OK, They are spaced about 12" apart. its a spectrum AR 7000 with one remote.
Thx again TAZZZZ I also need to know the positioning of the TX antenna,Ive been getting various info on this, What is the signal pattern on the 2.4?

Last edited by tazzzz; 03-23-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Stick 40

the TX ant. should be at a 45 degree angle, this will give you a good sig. I like the 12in. apart, if I know what you mean.

if you do a range check and its good, you should be alright.

again good luck, its a learning thing.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by tazzzz
I have the main RX up off the floor about 2" and 5" away from the fuel tank , the antennas are going crossways in the fuse,,,,and the remote is mounted high on the side of the fuse with the antennas going lengthwise. Does that sound like it will be OK, They are spaced about 12" apart. its a spectrum AR 7000 with one remote.
Thx again TAZZZZ I also need to know the positioning of the TX antenna,Ive been getting various info on this, What is the signal pattern on the 2.4?
we can't treat them like the old 72 band, they are very different. how they work is very different. I have been in rc for 30 years and know that anything new requires a learning curve.

keep at it, you will get there!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 AM
ron ward

they process differently,...indeed,...we aren't discussing how they process commands. we are talking about their mounting and vibration isolation here, and antenna arrangement.... isolation should be treated about the same as the 72's. some manufacturers imply that vibrations aren't as bad on them,....well, that's pretty ambiguous,....it may be true,....if you want to take that chance,..... go right ahead .....i'm not about to find out if that's true or not, thank-you. i'll treat them just like the 72 hertz receivers and isolate them as well as I can. as far as heat,.... yes, they don't like heat,..... just like the 72 hertz receivers didn't, or don't like heat.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The way most (if not all) 2.4GHz receivers are manufactured makes them very immune to vibration. The use of surface mounted components (no legs) eliminated most of the vibration problems. Heat however is a different matter. The smaller units need to dissipate about the same amount of heat as the bigger old style units do. As a result, the smaller radiating surfaces make the 2.4 units more susceptible to over heating. You do not want to enclose them in any sort of shock absorbing materiel Leave them out in the open with good circulation around them. Usually just mounting them with velcor or double sided tape in an unobstructed area is the best way.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Stick 40

it does not matter what plane you are putting it into. The RX needs to be back and away from all elect. battery, servos, wiring, etc.

if you have a RX with a ext. ant. put one on one side of the fuse ( as close to the tail as you can ) have the main RX little ant. horz. and the extra one on the opposite side of the fuse vert.

Have your TX ant. on a 45 degree angle.

The 2.4 RX units don't like heat, if you close up your plane, ( its like a oven ) and set it in the sun. the inside of the fuse can heat up a lot. Think out it, get into you can shut the windows, in the sun and see how hot it gets. It can kill a person and that is what it can do to your RX in a plane.

do what you want. I have been flying 2.4 in a JR X9303 for about 9 years.

sticks
Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rodney, there is no such thing as immunity from vibration. I don’t know what’s in today’s new receivers but I do know that they all have connectors in them and vibration will destroy those eventually. They are all crimped and are held together with a friction fit only. Mix in a lot of vibration and you have a cocktail for a failure. I’m glad you’re getting away with it but you should not be betting your plane on it. Dan.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 AM
Stick 40

I agree there is no immunity to vibration, I don't think they are as bad as the old 72 band.
I have always mounted them on the fuse with Velcro on the sides toward the back of the plane with no packing around them. you could put a layer of foam between the fuse and the RX. I never did.
I know the old 72's you could melt the plastic and they would still work. I never thought about the size being smaller was the problem, but that is as good an explanation as I have heard.

what I said about the tx being at a 45 degree, that is if you ant. has 3 positions like my JR 9303. it can point straight up , on a 45 , or lay flat in a Horz position. I was told the 45 is best, by a guy I take at his word for knowing that or at least until I get better info.

glad your asking, it is new and learning is the thing.
what I post is just what I have done and like I said I have never lost a plane due to radio problems! Dumb thumbs is another story. Lol
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Stick 40

I was thinking about the ant. thing and reception.

our old 72's had what about 2 ft. of ant. sticking out of the fuse and to the tail.

now the 2.4 with one rx has what about 1.5 in., if a extra ant. is there . Then we have about 3 in.

I have just put them to the back , because I was told this was a good idea. but in thinking about it, this makes sense to put them back away from all elect. engine, etc.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 AM
macdona

Default installing 2.4

Been flying since 1965 and figured out that a lot what heard was bull puckey. Each person has his own idea how something should be done.I have mounted receivers so many different ways and they always worked. I do pay mind to antenna placement. For instance I just put a small 4 channel in a T-34, right next to the throttle servo,range check called for 30 paces, I walked out 100 paces and it was still strong. flying was out of sight. So, to each his own. Good flying!! Mac
Old 03-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by macdona
Been flying since 1965 and figured out that a lot what heard was bull puckey. Each person has his own idea how something should be done.I have mounted receivers so many different ways and they always worked. I do pay mind to antenna placement. For instance I just put a small 4 channel in a T-34, right next to the throttle servo,range check called for 30 paces, I walked out 100 paces and it was still strong. flying was out of sight. So, to each his own. Good flying!! Mac
interesting, how about doing a range check 360 degrees around the plane. it might just take one blind spot, to loose a plane.

my goal is to do as much as I can to keep the plane flying , if just one thing goes wrong it a dirt nap.

one guy was letting me fly his Teleamaster 80 and had it slow 20 ft over the corn. It just went straight down into the dirt, he bought it used and never checked anything. The elevator clevis was not secured well enough. plane gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.