Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Swivel Ball Links - How Tight?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Swivel Ball Links - How Tight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Swivel Ball Links - How Tight?

Hi Guys,

I have just started using these Swivel Ball Links on a new model. I have never used them before. My question is how tight should they be and what's the correct order that the linkage is assembled when connected to a control horn? I have noticed that if they are too tight they seem to bind a bit. I am using Dubro 2-56 Swivel Ball Links (for 4-40) Rods.

Thanks
Ed
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cap screw installed through ball end. Next slide on the cone washer with the cone side facing the ball end. Push or thread the screw through the control horn or servo arm. Add a bit of thread-loc , attach the nut and tighten it up.
They need to be tight on the horn or arm and they are meant to be stiff and not sloppy.
Using a typical driver I've never been able to over tighten them where the ball is crushed but I suppose you could with a ratchet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubro-4-40-Swivel-Ball-Links.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	2155731  
Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 AM
bikerbc

.As far as tight goes , with a bit of blue thread-loc , just tighten them snug then about 1/4 to1/2 turn more . You want them tight but not so tight that you are striping the cap screw .If I can I like to use lock nuts . I don't always have lock nuts small enough or ones with the rite thread so I will use loc washers . .

Last edited by bikerbc; 04-03-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Some might consider this overkill, But a friend of mine insists on putting a small washer on the cap head bolt first thing.. just to make sure that ball could never be pulled thru. The cap head on the bolt is smaller than the actual ball.

Overkill probably.. does my friend loose planes from poor construction.. never
Old 04-03-2016, 03:20 PM
bikerbc

I have seen the washer on top of the cap screw too and think its a great idea.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

"I have noticed that if they are too tight they seem to bind a bit."
I have noticed that in the latest DuBro 2/56 and 4/40 ones I purchased the ball is very tight in the plastic if that is what you are referring to. I found that if you carefully squeeze the plastic lightly with a pair of plyers the ball will loosen up and they will no longer bind.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Electriceddie

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
"I have noticed that if they are too tight they seem to bind a bit."
I have noticed that in the latest DuBro 2/56 and 4/40 ones I purchased the ball is very tight in the plastic if that is what you are referring to. I found that if you carefully squeeze the plastic lightly with a pair of plyers the ball will loosen up and they will no longer bind.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************

Hey Whiskey B,

I tried what you said about the plier trick there and Squeezing a little bit on the plastic and it worked very good. I was amazed actually because I figured I as going to just screw it up. But it worked Great........ Thanks again...

Ed