Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Transmitter battery packs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Transmitter battery packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmitter battery packs

My new Hitec radio uses 4 AA batteries that has 4.8 volts. My old Hitec uses a battery pack that has 9.6 volts. Why the change? Do the new 2.4 radio's just not use as much voltage? Can I use a battery pack that is rated at 4.8 volts 750 mah in my new radio?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
My new Hitec radio uses 4 AA batteries that has 4.8 volts. My old Hitec uses a battery pack that has 9.6 volts. Why the change? Do the new 2.4 radio's just not use as much voltage? Can I use a battery pack that is rated at 4.8 volts 750 mah in my new radio?
Why the change? Because you can put out the maximum allowable power using just 4 cell Nixx type batteries which are less expensive than the 6 or 8 cell packs. Yes you can use the 750 mah batteries. Most of the newer radio transmitters are not very power hungry. As long as the voltage of the supply is adequate and can provide the necessary current, the radio could not care less about what the source of the power is. Just keep track of the voltage and recharge when the voltage drops to 4.5 or 4.4 volts. Full charge for a 4 cell battery will be well over 5 volts, maybe as high as 5.7 volts.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:29 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.Your answer goes along with the info with the radio but I wanted some outside confirmation. When I charge the battery it usually goes 5.2 volts and then doesn't discharge very fast. I will be more confident now.