Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

There was a ime

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

There was a ime

Old 02-05-2017, 12:29 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There was a ime

in the early days of this century that this site was very active with new posts being made every few minutes in the major categories. Now we can sometimes go a full 24 hours or so with no new posts being made in major categories such as this one. Do you long timers to this site think this is due to a loss of interest in RC or due to lack of interest in this site?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is my personal opinion that when RCU was sold a couple of years ago and some changes to the format was changed, many didn't like the 'new' version, so they went their merry way....and yes, I remember when the ARF forum was a full page of new posts every couple of hours. Add the new type of models (drone, electric) and they seem to have their favorite web site and sadly, RCU isn't one of them. You can't be everything to everybody sooooooo, to each his own. Personally I like this site along with a couple of others.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:56 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

RC is alive and well, this forum has never kept up with the times, and now it's perhaps too little, too late. RCG might be the Toyota Corolla and RCU is the Pinto. Which one captured the market, especially after the fire?

Navigation and bugs plagued the site for years. Not software friendly, I use RCU as a DO NOT DO THIS reference when creating new websites in my consulting work.

A younger generation that is buying a modern RC product, getting their youtube reviews from established people is the new way to get answers without a forum. We use phones to talk, they use phones to text. If it's not a video product review, they have no use for this forum. It's geared for us old folks. That's fine, but make more categories and don't trash the new stuff so much.
They have no use for a forum that uses phrases like "instant gratification" or "weekend pilot" or "another drone pilot does it again" so there you have it, the fastest growing segment told to get lost. You got a 50 and over thread, but no teen chat? How obtuse can RCU forum staff be? They know where RCG is, copy the heavily used categories. No law against it. I know a manufacturer that literally buys all their competitions products and cuts them up, makes copies of the pieces and manufactures the same thing with their name on it, maybe a upgrade here and there for marketing, and they are growing rapidly. Steal what works, put sprinkles on top, and call it your own.

Baby boomers are dying off, many are dead or half dead, and will be missed. Poor health ended the hobby for many. What does a BNF, self flying drone, RTF foam guy need to log into RCU for? Also the classifieds are not worth posting if your ad expires before you get any inquiries.
Check out the attachments. Tumbleweeds and crickets in the stats. But it could be the ball game, you'll need to check after Valentine's day and see if anyone else posted here.

RCU catered to glow, and glow is on life support.
RCG dominated EP, seeing the future.

But the atmosphere on any forum is crucial to welcoming new members, where is the introduction forum to do that?
They do not have a feeling of acceptance or welcome here, the forum had it's clique for a long time. You can see that has moved to RCG as well. RCU only recently recognized they weren't putting enough resources into the quality of the site, just let the damage go on for pages. RCG is repeating that error. They refuse to do anything but follow some point system that ages out to a clean slate every 3 months. Give it time, they'll suffer too.

Last one to leave, shut off the lights. "If I ran RCU" I'd start looking for another job, fast. It's still 4 steps to upload but I've been doing it awhile. I can spell too.

Follow the decline of glow engines, kits, ARF's, and all the traditional products that are being replaced with BNF, drones, FPV, and you see exactly why RCU is going away with it. It's not the primary segment as it was 15 years ago. Where are the contributors to the new stuff? You see little support for users to run to.
It's not rocket science, if a hillbilly from Tennessee can do it....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 4.14.15 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	2199781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 4.14.45 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	2199782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 4.15.16 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	2199783  

Last edited by J330; 02-05-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen a decline in almost all of the web sites I participate in, including RCU and RCG as well as other non-rc aviation related web sites. Not sure I can give an explanation, just seems as if many folks are not spending as much time on the computer as they used to.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:54 PM
tailskid

I also noticed in the Tower web site there are only a few new or "coming soon" airplanes...the rest are autos or quads
Old 02-06-2017, 05:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Really Ironic seeing criticism of the RCG management, they have a successful program that weeds out trolls and troublemakers, while giving people willing to behave a second chance, the funny thing is those troublemakers often end up here when on suspension or after being banned, which hurts this site by chasing people off,, only recently have a few been banned here too,, I mean how many years of free range trolling can you let happen with just warnings before you realize that's all you have left in certain sections.

Now add in the great RCU system upgrade we were promised?? Well that was a fail,,, the many site glitches that when reported seem to just go ignored., a clumsy and slow picture upload system that can't even figure which way is up,, I mean C'mon that's absurd.

And when was this section added?,, Just 2 months ago??? Just a little behind the times I guess
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airc...rs-drones-538/

Proactive management of problems and problem users, staying up to date on trends is the difference as I see it,, that just hasn't been happening here.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM
carlgrover

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I liked the old format to this site much better. When the new format was rolled out, a breakaway site called "Torque roll" came out which had the old format. It didn't last long but I figure many of those guys never came back here like I did. So there's part of the activity. This site was really really slow to load for a long time and I imagine that didn't help either.

Another facet is the hobby in general. There just aren't very many builders anymore. In our club, a good many of the members are flying electric powered foam planes that are best described as RTF. You take it out of the box, charge it, then fly. They are very active flyers but don't build so why bother to visit an online forum? Back in the day you had to be a builder or you weren't going very far. If you couldn't build (some couldn't) you subsisted on buying someone else's planes or swap meet planes to keep you in the air. Those guys could have used help from a forum. No need now thanks to China.

I think the whole hobby/sport is in a downward decline. It will come back around though. The big kit manufacturers are shutting down or cutting way back but there are some small outfits that are starting up. When it takes off the forum should see more activity; at least I hope it does.

carl
Old 02-06-2017, 02:40 PM
J330

Simply go to each category of RC listed on leading forums, and look at the count for logged in members/guests, number of posts, and you see what is alive and what is dead. Feed the more active categories and cater to them, and you have a handle on how a lot of things succeed, understanding the demographic and what they want.

Resisting change is a flaw of human nature, and there is no room for that if you want to make it. RCU resisted change but I see those new threads in the infant stage of contributions. Unfortunately I'm a glow guy and haven't given up yet on my kits and ARF's to be any help in that new category or I would.
Maybe I should change?

It's like a car forum catering to owners of a 1998 Crown Victoria instead of a 2017 Honda Accord. They sold a lot of Crown Vic's I'm sure, but who cares about that today, even if it rides nicer?

Imagine the short time 'multirotor" was even a category, nothing comes close to it on RCG. Vendors and forums might want to reset some priorities if they're going to make it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 5.52.03 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2199964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 5.52.03 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2199965  

Last edited by J330; 02-06-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added an attachment in 6 easy steps
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a regular here 6 years or so ago. then MinnFlyer past away and lost all interest in the hobby. I recently started building again and have been surfing RCU some, and to be honest, there are hardly anyone left that I know. Things change and time marches on, but at one time RCU was rocking, no matter what you flew.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
J330

What are you flying now? You're still active in the hobby, yes?

Last edited by J330; 09-24-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find different forums are active in different areas of modeling. RCU has a more active forum in F3A than RCG does. RCG is MUCH more friendly to uploading photos than RCU. RCG has a VERY active DLG/HLG area. RCU does not.

I look around to find an active forum with the info I seek. With the above said I made a jump to RCG and find myself making most of my posts there.

Ken
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J330

What are you flying now? You're still active in the hobby, yes?
I moved 6 years ago and pretty much gave up the hobby then, but I started building again this winter. BTE Venture, Uproar and GP 300S .60 and a Twist .60. Also been going over the Clip wing Goldberg Cub which I'm going to use to get the rust off. Hardest part is finding a place close to fly.
Done several build threads here on RCU but that was a decade or so ago. ARF's and Heli's were the HOT items then and the forum crowds were of good size with many active topics. Started building again to get away from all the crap on TV and social media and to give me something to do till spring. So far so good.lol
I know what JollyPopper is talking about, at one time RCU was a busy place.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 PM
J330

ARF's dwindle into history, people live on their phones, Facebook, Youtube, etc and find answers there.

RCU as a forum, I don't mind the slower pace of RCU

Last edited by J330; 09-24-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:40 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bailed on RCU when it switched owners, mostly because it was glitch, had issues with loading, but mostly because all my pictures got deleted. At that time I had a number of build threads that became useless. Granted the deletion of photos was accidentally done by me but RCU could have restored them. I asked to be given a the means to go through my threads and replace them but was denied. A lot of people bailed with the sale, and many just got tired of repeating the same thing, and some found new sites that felt better. All the previous mentions of the younger don't do forums is not true, they just don't do it here. FG, GSN, and RCG are doing well with new members joining daily. I pretty much only go to FG and GSN, better climate, glitch free, easier to navigate, not a bunch of BS, just good comradery. I still come here once in a while but find the site is near dead and what little going is not of interest or the same ole thing. I am an old fart but don't subscribe to my age, I love all facets of this hobby and welcome conversation surrounding it. I don't like bickering, biitching, or complaining, a lot of that here now.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry - bit slow here. FG? GSN?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 PM
tailskid

Too late for me.....I am going to bed so I can go flying in the AM!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:18 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'm sorry - bit slow here. FG? GSN?

FN = Fliging Giants http://www.flyinggiants.com/
GSN = Giant Scale news https://www.giantscalenews.com/