Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering options help.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering options help.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Therapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering options help.

After a 22 year absence, I am returning and (gasp) building. Could someone give me the pro's and con's of the plastic coverings available? I believe my previous experience was Black Baron by Coverite. There seems to be more types available along with Top Flite brand. Any help appreciated. This will be over Balsa and no foam. Stick and sheeting.

TOm

Last edited by Therapy; 05-07-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:14 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhat depends on the size of the plane as smaller planes may do better with a lighter weight covering than Ultracote or Monokote (the 2 most prevalent coverings). However, for most planes, most people use Ultracote as it gives a good finish and is relatively easy to work with. Personally, I think Monokote stills gives a superior finish but is harder to work with and some folks have had problems with some rolls of Monokote not sticking properly or the adhesive being grainy. I recently finished re-covering a 33% Extra, purchased new rolls of Monokote, and did not have any problems so your mileage may vary.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Therapy

Thank for your reply and opinion. This is for a Sig Senior. I liked the shrinkage of the Black Baron because I could introduce washout on a lightly built wing just by the covering. But I am open to change if others offer a benefit. Leaning towards the Ultracote to try it out. Worst problem I had was covering over sheeting and other covering as this produced lots of bubbles. Again, open to suggestions.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Though some say it can be difficult to apply ( depending on the colour used ) but Monokote remains my favourite covering as it gives an excellent finish and offers lots more colour options to choose from than any other brand. Also using it as trim allows one to use Windex instead of heat to activate the adhesive to produce bubble free applications, something not possible with other brands. Ultracote would be next in line for me but I hate it's habit of having the colour bleed or the clear coat lifting away from the colour pigment.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Use a Woodpecker on the sheeting before applying the covering and it will reduce (reduce, not eliminate) the number and size of bubbles on the surface you are covering. Also, you might try the covering from Value Hobby or Hobby King. It is the same covering and comes in five meter rolls for less $$$ than either MonoKote or UltraCote. It works very well and doesn't have a tendency to sag in the sun. Really good stuff.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Though some say it can be difficult to apply ( depending on the colour used ) but Monokote remains my favourite covering as it gives an excellent finish and offers lots more colour options to choose from than any other brand. Also using it as trim allows one to use Windex instead of heat to activate the adhesive to produce bubble free applications, something not possible with other brands. Ultracote would be next in line for me but I hate it's habit of having the colour bleed or the clear coat lifting away from the colour pigment.
All true, but if you cover with Ultracote and use Monokote for trim you can use the Windex method to apply the trim. Probably not a good idea if the trim pieces are large, as you do have to use some heat after using the Windex, and heat that will seal the Monokote may be too much for the Ultracote underneath.

I prefer Monokote myself. Quite a few people say Ultracote is easier to apply, at least for beginners. I haven't found that to be the case, but maybe that's because I used Monokote for years and got used to it before trying Ultracote. I did have a few bad rolls of Monokote some years back, but not recently. I suspect it was a quality control problem. A lot of people on the forums were complaining about it not shrinking, not sticking, or sagging a lot in the sun, but there hasn't been much of that lately.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Therapy

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I am perfectly fine with the monokote since that is what I learned on 22 years ago and did about 6 planes with it. I am now leaning towards the monocote since that's what I'm familiar with and now you people have enlightened me to new methods. (windex and the woodpecker) Please don't stop with new opinions as it is teaching me alot. TYVM everyone!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Therapy
Thank for your reply and opinion. This is for a Sig Senior. I liked the shrinkage of the Black Baron because I could introduce washout on a lightly built wing just by the covering. But I am open to change if others offer a benefit. Leaning towards the Ultracote to try it out. Worst problem I had was covering over sheeting and other covering as this produced lots of bubbles. Again, open to suggestions.
Monocoat will induce wash in/out even better than the old low temp Black Baron. This particularly so on a unsheeted wing such as the Seniors. For me Monocoat is by far the better road to good lookin project. I also have enjoyed the woodpecker but have my doubts that it is still out there somewhere. But make no nevermind I stopped using mine years ago when I discovered I could use a single thin dressmakers pin and pepper sheeted areas just as fast and perhaps easier than the weedpecker where one was always adding or pulling the pin wheels to match the application.

John
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Therapy

4 rolls of monocote on the way. I comfortable with that and all answers cemented that thought. Thank you all.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:19 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

4 rolls of monocote on the way. I comfortable with that and all answers cemented that thought. Thank you all.
I don't think you will regret the choice you made and in fact you will more than likely be quite happy with the end result.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:06 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The covering sold by Hobby King and others (also known as China coat) has a pretty good reputation. Large rolls and very favorable pricing.

Ken
Old 05-14-2017, 04:22 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a 22 year absence, I am returning and (gasp) building. Could someone give me the pro's and con's of the plastic coverings available? I believe my previous experience was Black Baron by Coverite. There seems to be more types available along with Top Flite brand. Any help appreciated. This will be over Balsa and no foam. Stick and sheeting.

TOm
My simple reply is to recommend UltraCote. It is an excellent covering, for its' type. I have been using it for years. Also, acquire an iron that has a good temp control, e.g., 21st Century Sealing Iron.