Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need help...(very off topic)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help...(very off topic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 AM
ocmer94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...(very off topic)

Dear RC gurus and forum users,

I don't know how or where to start this question! Also I hope I'm posting it in the right place. (moderators feel free to move me to a better place if needed)

The long version of my question with story: (short version is below)
My name is Remco and I'm from The Netherlands. Finished film school and walking headless around in the big free world... working in a tech/camera store with no more passion... I was thinking about the projects I did at school... one of them was to think about a camera or film product that you wished existed. Making plans for it etc.

Now I'm starting to make it a reality… The product I wish existed is a high speed camera slider. With speeds of up to 80mph with a slow-mo camera on top. The cart will ride with bearings on a rail (1ft wide). With a variable length of from 33ft up to 330ft. The cart will be pulled by 550 Paracord onto a spool. The will be driven by a brushless. That’s where I need you guys (and girls) help! The specs of the brushless motor I will put it in the short version below.

The Short version of my question without story behind it:
I'm looking for a Brushless motor and all the thinks that’s needed to make it run. That can pull a cart, the size and weight of a HPI Baja 5B Buggy. 21 lb, maybe 12 lb in the beta version, on a rail system, so handling the cart/speed is no problem. The speed up to maximum 100mph, but I will be happy with a speed of between 60 and 80mph (if possible 100mph). In the shortest time..! Maybe 2/3 sec 0-80.

Can you guys and girls give me some options? With a small description why that motor, ESC, battery and gears is right for me... because know nothing... about brushless motors and RC...

Budget: If I can stay under €300/$400 (I need to buy it twice... so €300/$400 ea) I would be thrilled. If the perfect version is €400/$500 I'm less happy, but okay... If possible...the budget with ESC. Less money to spent = more happiness.

Extras:
If you have a good idea to make my project better, please let me know… Like: maybe Launch control is possible with brushless motors, 4s/6s/8s or that DC power is the best option and why. Maybe brushless RC motor is not right or not powerful enough…you need a (…)? Please tell me! Twin/dual motor is perfect for me? I don’t know, you do!

Thanks for your help,

Remco
Old 11-27-2017, 02:24 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would forget the brushless route and look at car starter motors. Play around with the voltage and spool size.to get the acceleration and speed you need. They will tolerate 30 volts for a few seconds.

If you need more oomph use a starter motor to spin up a large flywheel and clutch the spool to it when you are up to speed. At one point we were getting 9 lb gliders to 600 700 ft on zoom launches BUT BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU GO DOWN THIS ROUTE. You need a burst cage around the flywheel and a weak link as a minimum.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A few very preliminary calculations tells me you'll need about 350 N of force to accelerate that vehicle, imparted nearly instantly. I can't see any practical electric motor producing that kind of acceleration; the amp draw would be immense. The flywheel idea could work, but I'd think an air catapult or similar would be required. To put this in perspective, you are asking for roughly the same acceleration seen in a top fuel dragster. And, of course, you'd have to find a camera that could handle the G forces and design a cart to do the same.