Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing tubes

Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Skyhawk940

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing tubes

Building a Wright Curtiss T-32 Condor, I need wing tubes, about 3/4 inch OD for the receiver tubes. Where do I find them???? I've tried most of the hobby sites and they have replacement tubes with no spec's. There has to be a site that has them. Help!

Skyhawk
Old 01-14-2020, 05:06 PM
red head

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try " Hobby Lobby " or if the tube isn't a part of the structure make your own by rolling up a sheet of paper . ENJOY RED
Old 01-14-2020, 07:06 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://graphtechrcshop.com/
Old 01-15-2020, 05:30 AM
rgburrill

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940 View Post
Building a Wright Curtiss T-32 Condor, I need wing tubes, about 3/4 inch OD for the receiver tubes. Where do I find them???? I've tried most of the hobby sites and they have replacement tubes with no spec's. There has to be a site that has them. Help!

Skyhawk
It seems most of the hobby sites have gotten away from helping the hobbyists to helping themselves make money and only provide enough information for spare parts for specific items they sell or sold in the past. Good luck finding a part for something you are building from scratch or a kit manufacturer they don't supply. Horizon Hobby is the worst on this. They, and all their vendors, provide very little technical information, just that this part goes with this airplane, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just ranting.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.tntlandinggear.com/

I bought here a few years ago,, some guys have complained them having slow response time,,, but it would be worth giving them a call

I've also bought from vendors on Amazon,

good luck

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-15-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Skyhawk940

It's the same thing I thought while browsing their sites. I guess building is a lost art. I like building 'different' planes that everyone asks 'What is that?' When US old timers are gone, it will be dead. I remember when you wanted a kit, you had to fill out an order form, get a money order and mail it. Wait 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive. Have your Dad drive 40 miles to the hobby store to get bits and pieces. Rant away....
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 AM
Skyhawk940

Thanks for the https://www.tntlandinggear.com/ link. looks like what I need. The phone number is in my area code.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Real2You

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought an 1/2"OD Aluminum tube at Lowe's(might have been Home Depot) but I saw 3/4" OD tubes also.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I've started buying CF wing and stab tubes from vendors on EBay. They are very reasonably priced and arrive fairly quick for coming from China. I make my own sockets out of fiberglass. Quite easy to do. Take the wing tube and wrap with 1 1/2 to 2 wraps of 1mil plastic. Use tape on the ends of the plastic and keep it wrinkle free. Roll on a couple layers of 3oz cloth that has been wet out with laminating or finishing epoxy. Let dry and simply pull free from the wing tube. Perfect fit every time.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:47 AM
Skyhawk940

Cool, thanks!!!!!
Old 02-29-2020, 07:11 PM
Pylonracr

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
I've started buying CF wing and stab tubes from vendors on EBay. They are very reasonably priced and arrive fairly quick for coming from China. I make my own sockets out of fiberglass. Quite easy to do. Take the wing tube and wrap with 1 1/2 to 2 wraps of 1mil plastic. Use tape on the ends of the plastic and keep it wrinkle free. Roll on a couple layers of 3oz cloth that has been wet out with laminating or finishing epoxy. Let dry and simply pull free from the wing tube. Perfect fit every time.
Pretty much what I do, except I use 1 to 2 wraps of Parchment paper and lay up a couple layers of carbon fabric cut on the bias. A slightly different way of doing the same thing.

Scott
Old 03-02-2020, 12:52 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylonracr View Post
Pretty much what I do, except I use 1 to 2 wraps of Parchment paper and lay up a couple layers of carbon fabric cut on the bias. A slightly different way of doing the same thing.

Scott
I tried that recently with rosin paper,, Wrapped is spirally like a golf club grip,, then glassed it,,but I guess I used to much epoxy all at once because it soaked through sticking to the tube,,, had to cut it off, sand the tube,

I ended up making one out of 2oz cloth the old school way, wrapping it with plastic first,, worked out well

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 03-03-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:39 PM
GREG DOE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best and easiest solution is Braided Biaxial Sleeve. There are a lot of choices in fiberglass, and several in carbon.
I wrap my mandrel with nylon vacuum bagging material and then slide the sleeve over it, pull it tight, and apply resin.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:13 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG DOE View Post
The best and easiest solution is Braided Biaxial Sleeve. There are a lot of choices in fiberglass, and several in carbon.
I wrap my mandrel with nylon vacuum bagging material and then slide the sleeve over it, pull it tight, and apply resin.

Thats a great idea where weight is somewhat flexible. My current project has me counting every gram.