Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 02:18 PM
Holmatas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sizes

Hi all,
I have a cub that weighs around 10lb ( 4.45 kg ) approx.
It has a 50/60 electric motor at present, it’s not fast but flys ok.
I would like to repower with a fuel engine, gas, glow, two or four stroke.
Any idea what options and sizes would suit this plane ?
Cheers.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:00 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

.61 2 stroke.
.91 4 stroke.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:29 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Cubs are pretty flexible in terms of power. It would probably fly just fine on a tired .60 two stroke glow engine. You might get away with as little as a .72 four stroke glow engine but at ten pounds you would just be putting around. It probably wont fit the cowl very well but you could probably hang a 15-20 cc gasoline engine on the firewall. Once you get past the point of enough power to fly it then it becomes a question of how hard you want to push the airframe.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:27 PM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What span?
Old 04-07-2023, 03:23 PM
J330

I'd say roughly 80" - - if he never comes back to his thread to state otherwise.
Can't wait to see the thread of his conversation.

Forget the w.s. and engine size,
he has to modify the firewall,
replace the engine mount, secure that,
take that battery out and put in a fuel tank with modifications to allow for it.
Then he has to find a spot for the throttle servo, the linkage, and add more tail weight to find the new CG, which he doesn't know where that is either I bet.

Was this ever a glow model to begin with? What's with the bulge down the sides of his fuselage? That's not scale,
.91 4 stroke seems to be a fits all engine for these cub models.
All things considered, I'd go get a Something Extra, an Ultra Stick, or Ultra Sport if you can find one, and never bother with a Piper Cub again.
but that's just me.
Two specs attached, CG and SIG 1/4 scale,
the 1/4 weighs 12-14 lbs and has 108" w.s.
7-8 lbs on the 40 size CG.

Last edited by J330; 04-07-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:18 PM
Holmatas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.350 mm. ( 8 feet )
The model was bought from a elderly guy at auction, that had scratch built it.
It had a 50/60 motor, 100 amp esc, 6 S battery etc.
I fitted a Spektrum receiver , fixed a few issues and it flew well.
It weighs around 10 lb without the 6 S battery.
The engine Mount box will need to be rebuilt I imagine, no big deal.
I have a OS max 0.95 that I was thinking of fitting .
The purpose of the question was to get some ideas.
You mentioned Something Extra, Ultra Stick, I have them as well.
Thanks for the input , I’ll move forward and see where I end up, cheers.
Ohh, forgot to mention, I did only pay 75 dollars for it !

Last edited by Holmatas; 04-07-2023 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 04-07-2023, 06:12 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Gas or Glow Options

For gas engines, most 1/4 scale (9 ft wingspan) Cubs fly really well on a 20CC gas engine such as a DLE 20 RA, or an RCGF Stinger 20-RE. These will turn a 16x8 or 17x6 prop and produce about 13-14 lbs. of thrust. The engine weight with muffler and electronic ignition will be between 1.75 to 2.0 pounds. Many of the J-3 Cub models have a light wing loading and will fly in a scale manner on relatively little power. For example, my Goldberg J-3 Cub weighs 7.5 pounds and has flown quite nicely on an Enya .53-4C glow engine for almost 30 years now. I think your J-3 Cub would also do just fine with a 15CC gas engine. It just would not have a great vertical capability. If you are looking for vertical performance and the airframe structure is sturdy enough, then a 20cc gasser would probably be the upper limit. If the airframe is fragile or the least bit rotted, then stay with a 15 cc gasser. A 15cc gasser with 10 pounds of thrust should be sufficient.

For glow engines, a Saito, OS, Enya, or YS 1.20 4-cycle will fly 13 pound airplanes quite nicely too. The difference in all up weight between my Enya R1.20-4C glow and my RCGF Stinger 20-RE is about 3 ounces. Once the weight of the fuel is considered with the gas engine needing a much smaller fuel tank, the total weight difference is negligible. As a rule of thumb, I have found that for mid-size glow and gas engines, a 2C gas engine will produce just slightly more horse power as the same displacement glow 4-C engine. I.e. a 20cc gas engine will make about 2.5 horse power which is about the same as a 20cc (1.20 ci) glow 4-C. The same for 15cc (.90 ci) gas and glow engines at about 2.2 hp..

"Gasser Pros" ... Gassers have a much lower fuel cost. A typical 1.20 4-C glow engine will drink 16 ounces per 12 minute flight. That is 8 flights on a $27 gallon of glow fuel,. That comes out to $3.50 per flight. A gasser uses 100% gas mixed 32:1 with Redline synthetic racing oil at about $7 per gallon and will use about 12 ounces per flight, or about $0.58 per flight. The cost of a new 20 CC gasser starts at $250, whereas the cost of a new Saito FA-1.25 -4C glow engine is about $430. If money is an issue, then the gassers will provide more bang for the buck. A properly tuned glow engine can be as reliable as a gasser. A gasser running on a properly leaned mixture produces very little oil residue to be cleaned up after a day of flying. Usually one paper towel and a light wipe or two is all that is needed, Whereas a glow engine will use more towels and Fantastic cleaner plus a bit of rubbing to remove all the oil slober. CM-6 spark plugs are cheaper than glow plugs and usually last longer.

"Gasser Cons" ... Gassers are usually designed to be mounted in the inverted position instead of the horizontal position. This may or may not be an issue for you. You will also need to install an ignition battery, a separate ignition battery on/off switch and an optically isolated engine kill switch to allow the engine to be killed from the transmitter. An optical kill stitch costs $19 and weighs under an ounce. Fuel tank stopper plugs and fuel tubing must be rated for gasoline. As you stated, a new engine mount will be needed to absorb all the vibration from a glow or gas engine.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... Good Luck!

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 04-07-2023 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-07-2023, 06:55 PM
J330

Originally Posted by Holmatas
2.350 mm. ( 8 feet )
The model was bought from a elderly guy at auction, that had scratch built it.
You mentioned Something Extra, Ultra Stick, I have them as well.
Thanks for the input , I’ll move forward and see where I end up, cheers.
Ohh, forgot to mention, I did only pay 75 dollars for it !
Fantastic deal.