Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servos

Old 04-06-2024, 05:06 AM
cdphillips2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos

Good morning
Iím starting to build a Tiporare. Iím buying all my parts, I found a new set of Rohm Airs, a new Rossi 60. I need to buy servos, my radios are Futabasí, will S3152ís be enough torque?

thanks
Old 04-07-2024, 06:37 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

They will be plenty of power but IMO still a poor choice. The first issue is the voltage. When looking up the specs, they give a torque rating at 4.8 volts. This means you are limited to the voltage of a 4 cell nicad or nickel metal battery. The better battery choice is 6.6V LiFe battery. Main reason for LiFe is a much lighter battery for the same capacity but the voltage stays consistent longer. However when they drop off, it’s a fast drop off. Not really an issue as a 1400 mah battery will easily last 8 flights with a 6 servo setup.

The next consideration is size and weight. There really is no reason to use full sized servos in a .60 size plane these days. There are mini servos available from multiple sources that are plenty strong. My favorite is the a MKS HV 69. The mini servos will save you even more weight but make your install less crowded. Of course if you already have the Futaba servos, you can still run the LiFe battery and run a regulator between the switch and RX. My favorite is the Castle Creations BEC that is 5.5V output.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:03 AM
mgnostic

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I find that most modern servos will tolerate a 6.6 LiFe battery just fine. If you don't want to mess with the slightly more complex charging regimen of a LiFe, NiMh batteries are still a viable choice. At six volts the S3152 produces about twice as much torque as the servos that were in common use when the Tiporare was designed. With a pattern plane you aren't banging huge barndoor surfaces around as with a 3-D plane. I'm sure that there is a "perfect" servo for the Tiporare out there somewhere but the short answer is that the S3152 is a way better servo than was available at the time the plane was designed. It would be fine.